Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

I am checking them off, one by one. I'm looking forward to ruling out Wolves, Bournemouth and Brighton very soon

This is the mark of a fanbase that has had to deal with relegation (both threatened and realized) very often in the past dozen years.

• Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, Raymond said:

Going to really hurt when we miss out on CL because Liverpool couldn't be bothered against a team fighting for sixth in Serie A. 

?

We're 4th.

Edited by Pongo Waring

Just now, 479Villan said:

This is the mark of a fanbase that has had to deal with relegation (both threatened and realized) very often in the past dozen years.

It's just a sensible way to deal with the natural feeling about being close to achieving something.

Bournemouth have a one in a billion chance of catching us - when they can't, our chances will have very slightly improved.

Keep knocking over the obstacles until there are no obstacles left.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Lol don’t be so facetious. 

I think 5 years is a better indicator because it’s more relevant. If you were looking to buy a business you wouldn’t look at the last 10 years of financial performance because it goes too far back, 5 years is a good benchmark for what is happening now.

We will deserve to finish wherever we finish. All I’m saying is we are somewhat fortunate that outside the top 3 there are no great sides. Man Utd have spent loads but are poor, Tottenham are unreliable, Newcastle have too many injuries, Chelsea are totally dysfunctional, and West Ham just aren’t capable of disrupting the elite. Any of those sides could have taken advantage of us stumbling at the business end of the season but haven’t shown anywhere near the consistency needed which is of course good for us.

But this would be the same any season, just with different teams. 

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

But this would be the same any season, just with different teams. 

Debatable. I think we’d still be where we are in the league but the team(s) below us would be closer, maybe within 5 points of us. And that would put huge pressure on us to win our remaining games. 

As it happens, the fact that there are 10 points between 4th/5th and 6th/7th still despite the poor form of us in the last 5 games and Tottenham constantly losing away from home shows that the teams below us are all totally unreliable. You’d think in previous seasons there’d be at least one team to take advantage if the teams in 4th and 5th stuttered.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

It's just a sensible way to deal with the natural feeling about being close to achieving something.

Bournemouth have a one in a billion chance of catching us - when they can't, our chances will have very slightly improved.

I start tracking packages the instant I get shipping notifications; I have an active count in my head of when I depart for Brum to see my first game at Villa Park.

And I think scratching Brighton off the "can catch us" list is obsessive-compulsive.

(But I get it, I totally do)

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Debatable. I think we’d still be where we are in the league but the team(s) below us would be closer, maybe within 5 points of us. And that would put huge pressure on us to win our remaining games. 

As it happens, the fact that there are 10 points between 4th/5th and 6th/7th still despite the poor form of us in the last 5 games and Tottenham constantly losing away from home shows that the teams below us are all totally unreliable. You’d think in previous seasons there’d be at least one team to take advantage if the teams in 4th and 5th stuttered.

Not really, same happened last season. Spurs were terrible in the run in hence we finished above them despite being way back, think Spurs were still 3rd as late as March before Conte had his meltdown.

Liverpool were also like Chelsea/Man. United this season before they had a late rally and won five in a row but that still wasn't good enough to even take Newcastle to the final day.

Generally teams that finish 6th and 7th finish around 58-60 points so Newcastle and Man. United are pretty much on course to do that with the tallies they currently have.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

I remember one of the Leicester team (or was it Ranieri) saying similar… they just kept going one game at the time, and didn’t count anything for granted, ticked off no relegation at 40 points, then each position who couldn’t catch them… until the end when they were champions.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ender4 said:

I remember one of the Leicester team (or was it Ranieri) saying similar… they just kept going one game at the time, and didn’t count anything for granted, ticked off no relegation at 40 points, then each position who couldn’t catch them… until the end when they were champions.

Sometimes I’m not sure some people posting here have even passed that stage.

24 minutes ago, ben1505 said:

Are there LIKELY circumstances where this UEFA coefficient is decided in England’s favour next week?

Yeah Arsenal, City, Ath Madrid and us all going through.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Yeah Arsenal, City, Ath Madrid and us all going through.

What’s the most points that Leverkusen can get from the semi final onwards?

I really hope we can get something today - but fear that the pre Christmas form has already faded and unlikely to return this season.

I think Kamara’s presence could have helped greatly today. I like his mentality 

It would be fantastic to get something and heap more pressure on spuds going into their game with Arsenal.

We know Spuds don’t have a easy run in and if we can put some day light between us, that they then have to sit on for two weeks, this could feed into anxiety ahead of the Gooners clash.

But a demoralising result today - might just see us run out of steam for the run in.

I would also be very tempted to start Diaby today 

11 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I personally think United have very good players. Just a clueless manager and coaching staff.  Nearly most our team was wrote off at some point in the past. Imagine what Unai could do with Uniteds squad.

I reckon he’d do about the same as he did at Arsenal. 

Emery is better when he has a squad of humble players who are patient enough and willing to buy into his methods and meticulous level of detail. 

He seems to struggle managing a squad of big egos. All his success in his career has come with sides that finish around 4-8th. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, HeroesAndVillans said:

Newcastle have done us a massive favour today, am I right in thinking we will be OK until the next round of games even if Arsenal win tomorrow? Think we can nick a draw if we're at our best though.

They do nobody a favour because they sign a squad everyone else calls a first team. We’ve been disadvantaged this season about that, how must everyone else feel? Utter cubts. And pep? Give me Unai evetytime.

shit just realised I was taking man citeh,just proves yer don’t need ears 

Edited by Jareth
  • Like 1