Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

3 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I’m pretty excited about tomorrow. It’s a good time to play the gutters. 

It is but it’s unfortunately a good time to play us too.  Need to try and frustrate them and play on the break. Similar to how Porto did.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I’m pretty excited about tomorrow. It’s a good time to play the gutters. 

Is it? Why? They’re fully fit with 2 extra days rest and we’ve both got big mid week games. Not trying to be negative but I don’t think we have any advantage over them.

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

I can bet you we lose 2-1 tomorrow (with a decent performance) and this thread will be getting spammed with "one win in six", "why can't we be as good as Arsenal" "When is Cash back (even though many slaughter him when he plays)" "Newcastle will finish above us...."

Point that will be lost in all of that is we'd have actually finished the weekend in a better position than we entered it and that surely is the key for the next few weeks, build a decent points buffer over Spurs again and see how they react in some very tough games for them.

If you tell me after the match tomorrow we would still be 4th, whatever the result I'd take it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

7 might be enough for top 4 looking at Spurs fixtures although I think 10 would definitely be enough

My worry is how poor our home form has become. 2023 Villa and we'd get 7 points from the next 3 home games and then have good chances against Palace and Brighton. Would be thinking 10 points

1 minute ago, WallisFrizz said:

Is it? Why? They’re fully fit with 2 extra days rest and we’ve both got big mid week games. Not trying to be negative but I don’t think we have any advantage over them.

I think we’re hungrier. Unai has something to prove, too. I don’t know. I’m just super thrilled about this game. I have a feeling we’re going to win. 

2 minutes ago, villan95 said:

If you tell me after the match tomorrow we would still be 4th, whatever the result I'd take it.

Agreed. 

Spurs’ result today has helped massively, especially given their fixtures

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, villan95 said:

Lose by two or more goals and we’re back to 5th

Just now, villan95 said:

We are 4th still with any one goal defeat.

Even defeat by two goals isn't a complete disaster as looking at the run ins you'd be disappointed if anyone turned us over big in the remaining games whereas Spurs could lose another game by 3 or 4 nil so the GD should remain in the balance.

Losing by 4 or 5 tomorrow would be hugely disappointing. However I think if Arsenal go 2 up they'll take players off around 70th minute and psychologically ease off as they need to save some energy for the Munich second leg with not much recovery time. And we'll probably do the same.

• Like 1

Would it be a bad thing, if we… you know… exited the Europa conference? Is the opportunity to focus on champs league not far greater overall? 

Edited by Tayls
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Shocked 1

8 minutes ago, villan95 said:

We went be though, if we lose we drop back below Spurs on GD

Just now, beasley14 said:

We went be though, if we lose we drop back below Spurs on GD

We actually went above Spurs when it was 3-0, not 4-0, so we can afford to lose by one.

2 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Would it be a bad thing, if we… you know… exited the Europa conference? Is the opportunity to focus on champs league not far greater overall? 

Hello Martin

9 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

My worry is how poor our home form has become. 2023 Villa and we'd get 7 points from the next 3 home games and then have good chances against Palace and Brighton. Would be thinking 10 points

In fairness this is true, pre Xmas we'd be very confident of picking up 6+ points but unfortunately that's not how I feel right now.

Kingsley Coman got injured today, so he and Gnabry will be out of the second leg vs Arsenal. Both played well in the first leg.

Also no Alphonso Davies. 

That's if we have to settle for 5th ;)

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Our fans really sound like a bunch of losers on this thread. Should be talking about Spurs and us and how we get top 4. Instead we’re talking about who’s going to catch us. 

Hopefully fan mentality can change one day.

It will change with sustained success in fairness, it's just been a long time.  I'd be more confident if we can get a win against Bournemouth, just nervous as our form has dipped quite a bit recently.

Edited by beasley14

10 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Yes

• Like 1