Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

3 hours ago, ben1505 said:

I did an 6 game rolling points total for this season. Our lowest was 7 points and happened once. Insane that we got 16 points from 6 games on 8 occasions. I know that it's the end of the season, we've got players missing, and some tough fixtures but it would take an implosion of Spurs/Arsenal porportions to see us get 0 points from our last 6 games.

image.png.d05b079909fe19edd29e4478c3ae625c.png

Cheers for this. Lose on Sunday and I think the lowest becomes a 5. 

7 hours ago, jayEm said:

That is frustrating, but West Ham beating Bayer Leverkusen was always pretty unlikely given the season they've had. Limiting them to only winning one leg would be nice though.

Yes, West Ham just getting a draw out of one of the legs would be a bonus point - let's not forget that when it's underway.

28 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Yes, West Ham just getting a draw out of one of the legs would be a bonus point - let's not forget that when it's underway.

Bayer Leverkusen will not have played against a West Ham style team , they stand a chance of getting something.🤞

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Liverpool will hopefully cancel out Leverkusen meaning we make the difference this week

It'll come down to the finals though me thinks, it won't be decided this round (unless all the Germans go out) 

• Like 1

I'm not writing West Ham off, they've every chance of frustrating BL. I'm also going wins for us and the scouse so I think we will be approx 0.5 points ahead of the Germans after tonight. I'm usually dead wrong.

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Liverpool will hopefully cancel out Leverkusen meaning we make the difference this week

It'll come down to the finals though me thinks, it won't be decided this round (unless all the Germans go out) 

If Dortmund, Bayern and Leverkusen go through then yeah we won't know till the final probably. If two of those go out then it's done.

• Like 2

Just now, omariqy said:

If Dortmund, Bayern and Leverkusen go through then yeah we won't know till the final probably. If two of those go out then it's done.

You're the stats guy, is it actually done if two of them go out? Cos that is pretty feasible. Would be amazing to have 5th for CL confirmed by next week. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Powehi said:

You're the stats guy, is it actually done if two of them go out? Cos that is pretty feasible. Would be amazing to have 5th for CL confirmed by next week. 

Depending on how it actually happens I.e over pens or straight victories then it's likely an English team would only need a draw in one of the legs to get enough points. If City and Arsenal go through then it's guaranteed as they play each other so guaranteed points. Will do an update after tonight with a likely scenario for next week.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, colhint said:

Ignoring laverkusen for a minute, I'll come back to them. If we and Liverpool win tonight, then arsenal  and man city win next week, we have it.

We currently have 132 points divided by 8 original teams  teams giving us a coefficient of 16.5

If plop and us win tonight, not the overall the just tonight that gives us four extra points. If the arse and city both win they get an extra 2 points each for the win plus an extra one point for round progression. So our 132 points are now 142. Making the coefficient  142/8 = 17.75. 

However seeing as arsenal and man city will play in the semi final whichever way it falls we get 5 points. 

So now the equation is 147/8 = 18.35.

Back to laverkusen. With bayern and Dortmund out only laverkusen can collect points the  maximum they can collect by winning every leg and the final and found progression is 12 points. 

Germany currently sit on 115. 5 / 7 = 16.5 

Add on the 12 becomes 127.5 /7= 18.21

Which is below the 18.35 for us.

One thing if both arsenal and man city win on pens, then it would require  three points from us or liverpool. A win for Liverpool in the second leg would do it on its own as they get progression points.

Circuitry 

I still think we can get fourth, especially if Spurs drop points against Newcastle at the weekend. The average league position of their next five opponents is 4.6 and all of those teams are in the top seven in the form table. Also, Spurs have won only 1 of their previous 6 away games, taking 6 of 18 pts in the process. If we can go into the last two rounds of games with a 3+ point lead and a superior goal difference then we will be in great shape.

• Like 1

Just based on expected odds:

We have 39.8% chance of 4th.

We have 53.9% chance of 5th

Currently there is 84.4% chance Prem gets 5 CL spots 

85.3% chance of Champions League.

Things look good 

Now let's smash Lille to increase it more

1 hour ago, zak said:

Just based on expected odds:

We have 39.8% chance of 4th.

We have 53.9% chance of 5th

Currently there is 84.4% chance Prem gets 5 CL spots 

85.3% chance of Champions League.

Things look good 

Now let's smash Lille to increase it more

Where did these percentages come from, they've dropped a lot in terms of 4th/5th? Appreciated we lost ground but only 54% for 5th?

18 minutes ago, beasley14 said:

Where did these percentages come from, they've dropped a lot in terms of 4th/5th? Appreciated we lost ground but only 54% for 5th?

Is that at least 5th? If not then there’s a possibility we can finish 4th, which would lower the probability of us finishing 5th.