Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

What’s chances of West Ham beating a Bayer team that has already won the league and took the pedal off the gas a little ?

Took them 2 stoppage time goals to beat a 10 man Qarabag team.

Bayer and Dortmund getting knocked out would mean 5th is ours right ?

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

It would be a shock if Leverkeusen don’t get through. It’s fine if they progress if Bayern and Dortmund get knocked out. 

As a minimum we need Liverpool, Villa and Man City to progress. If Arsenal knock out Bayern as well it’s pretty much done bar the shouting. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

What’s chances of West Ham beating a Bayer team that has already won the league and took the pedal off the gas a little ?

Took them 2 stoppage time goals to beat a 10 man Qarabag team.

Bayer and Dortmund getting knocked out would mean 5th is ours right ?

West Ham are a dodgy matchup for most teams that wants to play football. They haven't taken the foot off the pedal plus Qarabag would be better than any team we played in Europe so far

Bowen looks to be out for West Ham

7 hours ago, Pongo Waring said:

I think we beat Arsenal on Sunday 

Not a chance but I think all games after that are winnable, even Liverpool at home. We need to suffer the inevitable Arsenal defeat, keep our cool (fans and players alike) then finish the job. Two wins out of the remaining should see us out of Uniteds grasp even if they go on a run.

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

West Ham are a dodgy matchup for most teams that wants to play football. They haven't taken the foot off the pedal plus Qarabag would be better than any team we played in Europe so far

Bowen looks to be out for West Ham

Qarabag better than West Ham?

4 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Not a chance but I think all games after that are winnable, even Liverpool at home. We need to suffer the inevitable Arsenal defeat, keep our cool (fans and players alike) then finish the job. Two wins out of the remaining should see us out of Uniteds grasp even if they go on a run.

While I think there is a high chance of Arsenal winning I don’t think it’s ‘no chance’.  Arsenal will drop points before the end of the season and probably in unlikely places and I wouldn’t put it past Emery to tactically out think Arteta.  Our propensity to concede goals goes against that probability but if we perform as we know we can then anything is possible.

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Qarabag better than West Ham?

Physically and financially no but probably better coached technically.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, nick76 said:

While I think there is a high chance of Arsenal winning I don’t think it’s ‘no chance’.  Arsenal will drop points before the end of the season and probably in unlikely places and I wouldn’t put it past Emery to tactically out think Arteta.  Our propensity to concede goals goes against that probability but if we perform as we know we can then anything is possible.

I’ve been amazed by the intensity Arsenal have played at all season without too much rotation. The home crowd seems to give them a lift too. I’d be amazed if we got anything from this game but with them having Bayern a few days later you’d think Arteta would make some changes.  They also score a lot of goals from set pieces and we seem to concede a lot from them.

A point would be a great result.

Either way I still think we finish 5th and make champs league that way.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

West Ham getting a draw in the home leg only wouldn't be a bad result from that tie. Even if they get smashed tonight, they could manage a draw or a narrow win at home like Brighton did against Roma.

Cue the bed wetting when the expected result happens tomorrow.

Edited by fightoffyour

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Last night put us level with Germany in the coefficient 

Timely reminder that we are all Liverpool, West Ham, City and Arsenal fans when it comes to European football. C'Mon you Iron, Gunning, Armband wearing Citizen w***ers. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Timely reminder that we are all Liverpool, West Ham, City and Arsenal fans when it comes to European football. C'Mon you Iron, Gunning, Armband wearing Citizen w***ers. 

Some more than others I think it’s fair to say.

I’m somewhere in the middle I think. I don’t actively want the English clubs to lose as much as I normally do, but I don’t know if that equates to me wanting them to win.

I’m taking a what will be, will be stance, I guess.

Edit - I’d rather we just finish fourth. Simpler.

Edited by Mark Albrighton
  • Like 1

Just now, Mark Albrighton said:

I’m somewhere in the middle I think. I don’t actively want the English clubs to lose as much as I normally do, but I don’t know if that equates to me wanting them to win.

I want them all to win up to the point the extra CL place is confirmed. Then they can all lose 8-0. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jareth said:

It’s quite realistic we have an English club win all 3 euro comps, that would be quite awesome. 

No it wouldnt 😝

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Liverpool and Villa victories this week will put us in a strong position. Atletico would be excellent too. West Ham would be dreamland 😂