Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

11 hours ago, ben1505 said:

Nobody here have been talking about Newcastle. They’re only 13 points behind and have a favourable run in.

Is this a joke? 😂😂😂

This top 4 thing is a non sense Arsene Wenger have brainswashed fans with. Not only Arsenal fans, but the whole country.

Newcastle aren't in a better position now because they've played some cl games.

It's just an opportunity to win another trophy, that is it.

I 100 % agree with Ange in his press conference's. It isn't a golden ticket.

Edited by Pinebro
  • Like 2

I normally wake up the day after a disappointing result with a renewed optimism but I am struggling this morning. We just look so flat and whenever a team cranks up the pressure we crumble so easily. Almost none of our players seem to be in form. 
However, things can turn very quickly and Unai is our special power. There’s still plenty of time for us to find the formula that gets us over the line. We aren’t going to run away from the opposition but we might find a way to stick in the fight and stumble home.

What I don’t want to see though is another weakened team fielded. We need to go with the best we can every match. Tired bodies need to step up and show some courage. This team needs to get angry and show some fight.

So I can’t make my mind up this morning. Half full or half empty. It’s a struggle but hopefully half full will win over. Here’s hoping for a Forest and Liverpool double.

At the end of the season if we dont qualify for CL next season (either in 4th or 5th position), we are not good enough "the league table doesn't lie".

However if we don't qualify my fear is that some of our players will be looking to join a club that has qualified for CL....

8 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

At the end of the season if we dont qualify for CL next season (either in 4th or 5th position), we are not good enough "the league table doesn't lie".

However if we don't qualify my fear is that some of our players will be looking to join a club that has qualified for CL....

Think this is huge point. Be classic villa to get almost their, miss out then have the team gutted and we set back 2/3 years. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

There's no doubt about it, they will be off. Here's another part of the Watkins quote from yesterday...

"We've got a point but it should have been three. These are the games we need to be winning. That's what the top teams do. They finish it off, kill it off. They are smart. Maybe we just don't have that maturity yet or game intelligence."

We have to seize this moment between now and the end of the season, or it could quite easily be mid table next year.

Woken up this morning more annoyed about the result than I was yesterday when part of me were just glad we didn’t lose it to a last minute Toney winner.

I do think spurs will pip us to 4th. They are able to put out their strongest team due to no injuries or suspensions and have less matches than us to play. (Edit - I mean in terms of conference league, I know they have games in hand).

I don’t think we will fully capitulate and will have enough to keep 5th and my big hope is that 5th is enough for CL.

If we end up with Europa League, I will be disappointed having been top 4 for most of the season but we will have still progressed and I’d have been happy with that at the beginning of the season.

Edited by WallisFrizz
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Tayls said:

….it COULD happen…. 

There’s about a 0.1% chance

If people want to worry about that nonsense then I don’t know why they bother watching sport. It must be awful

• Like 2

5 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

Same here. If they beat Liverpool it's definitely cause for concern. They'll be 9 behind with a game in hand, which is Sheffield, so guaranteed 3. Then for gw33 we have arsenal which we aren't going to get jack shit from, a third of the first team is out and the others are exhausted either mentally or physically or both. If they win their gw33 they're 3 behind with 5 to play. Also if they do pull out the wins they are needed and we lose a couple of games in a row that goal difference will draw much closer.

Have to hope Liverpool do what they should and absolutely crush them. That will help. Then if we can at all regroup and focus on beating Bournemouth and palace that should be enough. But team is staggering over the line.

The one positive from today is at least they showed enough fight to recover a draw. But that situation shouldn't have occurred anyway. We've really gone life or death with the most trash teams in the league, lost to forest, nearly cocked up with Luton, drew with Sheffield, massive battle with Brentford home and away.

Just like our guaranteed 3 from them yeah? 

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

Anyone else scared about West Ham? 🫨🫨

I think we ignore Luton at our peril. They've shown a lot of fight recently. Could put together a run. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

Anyone else scared about West Ham? 🫨🫨

More worried about Bournemouth myself. 

It COULD happen!!!

35 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Woken up this morning more annoyed about the result than I was yesterday when part of me were just glad we didn’t lose it to a last minute Toney winner.

I do think spurs will pip us to 4th. They are able to put out their strongest team due to no injuries or suspensions and have less matches than us to play. (Edit - I mean in terms of conference league, I know they have games in hand).

I don’t think we will fully capitulate and will have enough to keep 5th and my big hope is that 5th is enough for CL.

If we end up with Europa League, I will be disappointed having been top 4 for most of the season but we will have still progressed and I’d have been happy with that at the beginning of the season.

Yeah I agree with this.

The likes of West Ham, Newcastle or Man U would have to go on an extraordinary run to overtake and they are very unlikely to do so but while it is possible some people may not be 100% comfortable.

A couple of wins from our remaining fixtures should get us top 5 and that will be really good progress when judging the season as a whole.

I agree Spurs will finish above us as they have a pretty much fully fit squad to choose from. Hopefully 5th place gets the CL place and we should be in it. UTV!

Spurs have no European football and have not had the injuries we've had. They also had a ridiculous start to the season. 

They should finish 4th. They should be embarrassed that they're currently not there. It shows how strong we've been and how they've failed to jump on times we've slipped.

• Like 4