Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

22 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

And today is EXACTLY why I was fuming at our approach against City. You can not just throw in the towel against any team, otherwise you'll never pick up surprise points and only drop 'guaranteed' ones.

Did we look any fresher today?! 

I'd say it was all going to plan at 2-0 up yes.

You think we looked tired? So we need more rest? Enjoy the line-up for the Arsenal game.

Keep telling yourself you're right and Unai is wrong.

• Like 1

Probably 75% likely we finish fifth and probably 75% likely fifth place will be a CL place. Getting CL is all that matters, out final position of fourth or fifth isn't really important. 

6 minutes ago, Mantis said:

That isn't how it works at all. Firstly, we didn't "throw in the towel" to begin with, we just rotated a bit, which literally all the top teams do and we need to do especially because of all the injuries we've had. Second, it's not like we "traded" a defeat to Man City for an expected win today therefore because we didn't win today it somehow "backfired" and wasn't worth doing. The point of rotation is to spread out the minutes among the squad more evenly so you can get the most out of your players.

You say "point against City" (as if we haven't lost there literally a dozen times in a row) and "maybe today is a win" but what's just as likely would've been a defeat to City, with key players even more tired, and then we lose today.

Also, 4th isn't a "pipe dream". Spurs have an advantage of course but we're literally 4th right now with 6 games to go.

Whilst I may admit my anger is clouding my judgement a little, we definitely threw in the towel against City before a ball was kicked.

The number of changes was not necessary and completely sabotaged any chance of a result. Yes, teams rotate but against weaker sides in the hope the players left are still good enough to get a result. I can't think of another team who has rested players against better opposition.

And the discussion about whether we could have won both, lost both is conjecture and backs up my view to some degree - you give yourself the best chance you can in every game as points can be gained and lost anywhere.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Probably 75% likely we finish fifth and probably 75% likely fifth place will be a CL place. Getting CL is all that matters, out final position of fourth or fifth isn't really important. 

I’d say we’ve got a better chance of finishing 4/5 than 75%.., especially of Manure lose tomorrow.

2 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

Whilst I may admit my anger is clouding my judgement a little, we definitely threw in the towel against City before a ball was kicked.

The number of changes was not necessary and completely sabotaged any chance of a result. Yes, teams rotate but against weaker sides in the hope the players left are still good enough to get a result. I can't think of another team who has rested players against better opposition.

And the discussion about whether we could have won both, lost both is conjecture and backs up my view to some degree - you give yourself the best chance you can in every game as points can be gained and lost anywhere.

How did we throw in the towel? Because we played Lenglet instead of Torres and Iroegbunam instead of Tielemans? Because literally all the other would be starters who didn't feature were out through injury/illness/suspension.

And "giving yourself the best chance you can in every game" sounds nice in theory but is impossible in practice. You have to rotate - it's impossible not to do with the number of games we have.

• Like 1

I’d still be of the same opinion about the city game if we had won today. The fact we threw points away today has just added fuel to the fire for us that think Emery got it wrong against city.  

2 minutes ago, Mantis said:

How did we throw in the towel? Because we played Lenglet instead of Torres and Iroegbunam instead of Tielemans? Because literally all the other would be starters who didn't feature were out through injury/illness/suspension.

And "giving yourself the best chance you can in every game" sounds nice in theory but is impossible in practice. You have to rotate - it's impossible not to do with the number of games we have.

Oh come on... Bailey? Chambers coming on. Everyone acknowledges that some changes were forced, others were perhaps more cautionary (Watkins) but when your team is already weakened then you don't do it further by starting three or four first teamers on thr bench as well.

He threw that game, some people don't mind and some, including me, see the logic but I don't like it at all and don't think it serves a purpose. I'd have rather gone stronger then and rest Pau for today (his rest clearly didnt work!) and play Iroegbunam ahead of Tielemans against an opposition he realistically could have competed with.

We put out the type of side you put out when you don't care if you go out the cup... But even that is normally against weaker opposition.

We threw that game. Whether you agree with the approach or not, that's what we did.

Just now, jackbauer24 said:

Oh come on... Bailey? Chambers coming on. Everyone acknowledges that some changes were forced, others were perhaps more cautionary (Watkins) but when your team is already weakened then you don't do it further by starting three or four first teamers on thr bench as well.

He threw that game, some people don't mind and some, including me, see the logic but I don't like it at all and don't think it serves a purpose. I'd have rather gone stronger then and rest Pau for today (his rest clearly didnt work!) and play Iroegbunam ahead of Tielemans against an opposition he realistically could have competed with.

We put out the type of side you put out when you don't care if you go out the cup... But even that is normally against weaker opposition.

We threw that game. Whether you agree with the approach or not, that's what we did.

In recent games Diaby has arguably been just as good if not better than Bailey so really the only two clear ones were Torres and Tielemans. Again, how does that mean he "threw" the game? Please do explain how rotating TWO players who would otherwise start counts as "throwing" the game? It's nonsensical. If Emery really was "throwing" the game he would've started Kellyman, KKH and Chambers surely?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, grobs said:

I think it will all hinge on the Bournemouth game. If we don’t win we will finish 6th if we do we will finish 5th 

If we don’t get another point this season, United still need 13 points from 8 games to overtake us. Where are the 4 wins? Maybe even 5 as they don’t really draw. 

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, grobs said:

I think it will all hinge on the Bournemouth game. If we don’t win we will finish 6th if we do we will finish 5th 

I can't see Man U or anyone below them getting to 60 points. I can see us being on 67 going into our last hame against Palace!

• Like 1

My priority, as it has been all season, was to win the Conference League. We are the best team in the competition and we have a better chance to win it even at this stage than the finals we've reached in the last 15 years simply because of the opposition we will face, if we reach the final, won't be as good as Man Utd, Arsenal or Man City.

I don't get giddy about the thought of Champions League football as much as most on this forum do. I know it would be something new and exciting but a trophy is a memory that will last forever, especially a European one. Ask Newcastle fans how good reaching the CL was for them. I mean, they've gone from strength to strength :rolleyes:

I would take winning the Conference League even if we fell to 6th in a heartbeat. Quite frankly, I would question anyone who says otherwise why they even support a team in the first place.

Edited by R.Bear
  • Like 3

To the posters who continue to mention United. Have you actually watched them play?  Even if they were to miraculously beat Liverpool they will blow a sure fire win against lower half opposition. Fergie can't hurt us anymore guys. 

Difference between this and the MON days is that we have Unai. Time to step up for the players and get us over the line. We need 5 more points I think to get 5th.

When spurs lost 3-0 to fulham their whole forum basically gifted us 4th spot. 

We're not out of it. Today was bitterly disappointing, but spurs will **** up in the coming weeks and they'll win some games as well. 

United will **** up some and win some. So will we. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

Have we seen spurs’ run after tomorrow? We could easily be 6 ahead of them before the final few games. That’s psychologically massive!

I swear people are ignoring it or think Spurs are way better than they are. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

If we don’t get another point this season, United still need 13 points from 8 games to overtake us. Where are the 4 wins? Maybe even 5 as they don’t really draw. 

Anyone that thinks Manure will/can finish above us is **** delusional

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 1