Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

2 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

I must admit I've not really looked with any detail into this coefficient thing. When will we actually know about the 5th spot? or will it be calculated after the last ball is kicked?

Think it will largely depend on which teams go through. If all English teams progress to the next round then I think it's largely guaranteed England will get the 5th spot. But that scenario is unlikely as West Ham will likely lose. 

• Thanks 1

Someone should make a website that lets you choose who wins each remaining game in European comps and calculate the coefficient accordingly. Shouldn’t be that complicated

• Like 2

Just now, PieFacE said:

Think it will largely depend on which teams go through. If all English teams progress to the next round then I think it's largely guaranteed England will get the 5th spot. But that scenario is unlikely as West Ham will likely lose. 

Even if West Ham lose, as long as Arsenal beat Bayern, and Atletico get past Dortmund, that would still be two German teams out with only Leverkusen left.  I think that would be enough, with hopefully City, Liverpool and Us still in competition.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

A little breathing room secured - hopefully that helps everyone relax and helps us play our game.

We could be as good as qualified for the Champions League by the end of the 18th April - it seems mad to say that, it's an incredible season. 

As crazy as it sounds, the biggest threat to us now is probably Harry Kane.

I think that Arsenal Bayern game is the big one alright. 

West Ham have a chance against Leverkusen too. Clash of styles but West Ham are effective at what they do.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Big oof

and I assume the Man City rearranged game will be midweek before or after that….that’s a hard schedule.

18 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Big oof

I was hoping this would happen. After that round of fixtures I have us on 69 points withs Spurs on 65 points. They would then have Burnley, Man City and Sheffield United left and we would have Liverpool and Palace.

• Like 1

Just now, omariqy said:

I was hoping this would happen. After that round of fixtures I have us on 69 points withs Spurs on 65 points. They would then have Burnley, Man City and Sheffield United left and we would have Liverpool and Palace.

Give us the points over the games anytime.

In this case, if we beat Palace and lose to Liverpool, they pretty much need to win every game to catch us.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Drawing on the above, feasible results up to GW37:

Spurs beat Forest, Newcastle, and Chelsea. Lose to City and Arsenal. 66 points.

We beat Brentford, Bournemouth, and Brighton. Draw with Chelsea. Lose to Arsenal. 69 points.

At that point, if we beat Palace and lose to Liverpool, Spurs need to get something from City and beat Sheffield United and Burnley to go above us. But a loss to City puts us level on points. It's going to be so, so close.

4 hours ago, Lord Willard said:

Let’s push on now and get 4th and let Spurs have other fans moaning at them that they don’t deserve CL for finishing 5th. 

Did you see the Spurs fan on Talksport call in ? 

" There is no way we should be finishing behind Aston Villa, if we finish behind Villa, Postegoclu needs to be sacked " 😂

In fairness we all have these types of fans.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Martinez back

Moreno, Digne, Torres, Carlos, Lenglet, Konsa

Luiz, Tielemans, McGinn, Tim, Rogers

Bailey, Diaby, Watkins (possibility), Zaniolo, Duran

Looks ok to me

Worth a punt but someone may twig we are starting with 17 players but you never know 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

Imagine being Bayer Leverkusen, going unbeaten in all comps across a season in a league with Bayern and Dortmund, and losing that record to West Ham.

Didn't they lose one of the matches to Qarabag in the last round?

Edit: Sorry was 2-2, they scored last minute.

Even if West Ham go out I think England gets points if say they win the home leg?

That's some achievement from Leverkusen not to lose a game in any competition so far. Even when Arsenal had their Invincibles campaign in 03/04 they lost plenty in the cup competitions. 

Leverkusen having a repeat of 2002 and they will win at least a double this time given they're playing Kaiserslauten in the cup final.

Edited by VillaChris

2 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Worth a punt but someone may twig we are starting with 17 players but you never know 

We probs still wouldnt have beaten City

• Like 1

Just now, VillaChris said:

Didn't they lose one of the matches to Qarabag in the last round?

Even if West Ham go out I think England gets points if say they win the home leg?

Yup 2 points or 0.25 to add to the co-efficient rankings

• Like 1