Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

40 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Some United fans think they can get 4th. Apparently they have only lost 2 in 2024 and both Martinez and Hoiland are back. I think their record is quite good when they are both in the team. 

Pricks

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Some United fans think they can get 4th. Apparently they have only lost 2 in 2024 and both Martinez and Hoiland are back. I think their record is quite good when they are both in the team. 

Had $20 bet with Manc at pub the other night that we'd finish above them then as night wore on he told me he's a Member of the travelling community. Good for the handshake bet so

Edit: Interesting. I was typing out member of... and got lazy and used the 5 letter term and was  replaced with phrase I was going to type out. Nice

Edited by Kiwivillan

47 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

They are essentially 9 points behind us given the difference in GD with only 30 points left.

Let’s say we collapse and get 3 wins and 1 draw in 10 games and thus 10 points, they still need to get 6 wins and a draw out of 10 games.  For Man U to get 4th it would also mean that Spurs would have to go on a similar run to us.  It’s possible but highly highly unlikely.  Once you get past us or Spurs winning 3 games to 5 wins or more it’s really not going to happen.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

They would need Best, Law, Charlton, Giggs and Cantona back too, as well as Busby or Ferguson back to manage them. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The thing is these calculators look at the current position of the opposition. What it doesn't factor in what they have to play for. For example would you rather play Bournemouth who are playing to finish as high as possible or Luton who are playing to stay up?

Hopefully the games we have against those teams that aren’t really playing for much now are where we can pick up the points. 

And spurs have already lost one of the "easier" games on that list.

2 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

If we can somehow win today without McGinn and possibly Watkins Unai is a god.

It’s such a difficult place to go. If we did it as depleted as we are then it would arguably be the result of the season. 

4 minutes ago, Villa87 said:

It’s such a difficult place to go. If we did it as depleted as we are then it would arguably be the result of the season. 

The squad depletion point is fair… but is it really such a difficult place to go? Arsenal did them 6-0. Burnley turned up and got a result. Aside from hammering Freiburg, have they even won at home this year?

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

The squad depletion point is fair… but is it really such a difficult place to go? Arsenal did them 6-0. Burnley turned up and got a result. Aside from hammering Freiburg, have they even won at home this year?

Good point. Think it’s just our record there to be honest!

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

6 wins, 5 draws and 3 league defeats. 

On 10/03/2024 at 20:35, omariqy said:

Lot of football yet to play. We could easily win next week and Spurs lose to Fulham. However, losing McGinn is the kicker. We’ve got no one like him. We needed him for these next two games especially. 

Had a feeling Fulham would beat Spurs. We just need to do our job today. Going to be tough no doubt but we’ve been better away from home this year. 

4 minutes ago, John said:

6 wins, 5 draws and 3 league defeats. 

I’m sure they’ve won this season… just can’t remember anything in 2024 bar abject results (Freiburg aside) and fans disliking Moyes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

Had $20 bet with Manc at pub the other night that we'd finish above them then as night wore on he told me he's a Member of the travelling community. Good for the handshake bet so

Edit: Interesting. I was typing out member of... and got lazy and used the 5 letter term and was  replaced with phrase I was going to type out. Nice

Ah, so when away fans start singing you only live round the corner. They're actually singing about him.

19 minutes ago, omariqy said:

West Ham are either world beaters or relegation fodder. No in between.

It’s funny because you look at them and they have more players than most teams who I would love to have in our squad - Kudus, Bowen, Paqueta, I’m personally a fan of Soucek and Coufal - and then a few who are nowhere near our level. Means you can get a completely mixed bag depending on who shows up for them on the day

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

And that's fine. They need to have a points return of a top 3 team through to the end of the season. And we need that of a team that would come 12th or 13th across a season  If that happens then they would finish a point or two above us and would deserve to do so. But it's very very unlikely. 

17 minutes ago, turvontour said:

And that's fine. They need to have a points return of a top 3 team through to the end of the season. And we need that of a team that would come 12th or 13th across a season  If that happens then they would finish a point or two above us and would deserve to do so. But it's very very unlikely. 

I actually admire the belief of a United fan that thinks they can finish 4th.  Fans should never stop believing.

Their form for 2024 is the 4th best in the league. Ours is 7th. But they have only picked up 3 points more in that time. 

If they continue that same form they have a chance of over taking us but it would need our form to collapse to a level that we haven’t seen throughout Unai’s reign. 

i don’t think it will happen but a lot of football still to play.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I actually admire the belief of a United fan that thinks they can finish 4th.  Fans should never stop believing.

Their form for 2024 is the 4th best in the league. Ours is 7th. But they have only picked up 3 points more in that time. 

If they continue that same form they have a chance of over taking us but it would need our form to collapse to a level that we haven’t seen throughout Unai’s reign. 

i don’t think it will happen but a lot of football still to play.

They don't have a chance of overtaking us even if they continue this better than normal form and we maintain this poorer than normal form. That's the numbers of it. We need to turn into a fundamentally different team results wise and so do they. 

• Like 1