Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

11 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

My biggest concern is the confidence we will have given Spurs with an " Emphatic statement win " and McGinn being out at the most crucial time ffs.

It might also get them too cocky and screw up (“Spursy”).  I can imagine Emery is going to be more professor than usual and us going on a run now.  This is going him and the players and might be a kick up the ass.  Spurs game in hand is against Chelsea and thus a derby so who knows what result for that, a draw or loss works for us.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

It might also get them too cocky and screw up (“Spursy”).  I can imagine Emery is going to be more professor than usual and us going on a run now.  This is going him and the players and might be a kick up the ass.  Spurs game in hand is against Chelsea and thus a derby so who knows what result for that, a draw or loss works for us.

Yes, under Emery we have tended to bounce back very well from bad defeats. Hopefully that bounceback starts on Thursday and not in a couple of weeks.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

Yes, under Emery we have tended to bounce back very well from bad defeats. Hopefully that bounceback starts on Thursday and not in a couple of weeks.

Yep and West Ham losing to Burnley so they aren’t playing well and also have a tough game on Thursday themselves before they play us.

We still have an excellent chance of finishing fourth, Spurs are capable of a result like today's but are just as capable of going and losing away to Fulham next weekend. Despite their game in hand, I'd rather be in our position than their's.

But two big games coming up now, for me Ajax is a bigger game than today, as it represents our last chance of winning an actual trophy, or rather if we don't win we lose that chance, so it's a must win, today is a setback from which we can recover

• Like 4

We have been over performing with these players which is okay..

But when it really matters you need to beat the teams around you and that is something that we are struggling with.

These are the matches that a team needs to win to finish in the top 4..

We have a very long way to go to be consistent at a high level.

Well it was going to take a major collapse for us to not finish top 5 and i think McGinn may have just screwed us over.

If we don't pick up any points in our next 3 games due to fatigue and lack of squad depth in the middle of the park then we know who's to blame.

I hope this isn't the case and we can get something out of the West Ham and Wolves games but it will be very hard.

Edited by AshVilla

48 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Are you taking into account McGinn being banned and we are going to fudge a midfield together for 3 very hard games? The assumption we maintain 2 ppg is very presumptuous given the injury issues. 

Who said we need to maintain 2PPG?

1PPG would almost certainly be enough from here. That’s relegation form. 

1.5PPG would be comfortable 

• Like 1

Spurs are the only team around us that we've lost to, but we have actually beat them as well which is why we're above them in the league

Newcastle and Man Utd aren't around us, we were closer to Man City and Arsenal than those two, and won both games

We're not a title challenging team, so will lose the occassional game

39 minutes ago, villan95 said:

I'm just assuming the worst that they actually click and get Hojlund back etc but yeah 4 wins should do it but even then those 4 wins aren't jumping out at me on the fixture list.

People said the same thing a month ago and we won 3 in a row 

We’ll be fine 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DevonIsAPlaceOnEarth said:

A win against West Ham and Wolves and this Spurs business all becomes a distant memory.

So easy to type , so difficult to accomplish. Especially again the foul custard bowl nobbers who always seem to be at the top of their game against us.

10 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

People said the same thing a month ago and we won 3 in a row 

We’ll be fine 

Hope you're right 🤞

Logic tells me we should do it but good old villa pessimism dies hard 😂

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Who said we need to maintain 2PPG?

1PPG would almost certainly be enough from here. That’s relegation form. 

1.5PPG would be comfortable 

To finish 4th?  It’s a straight shootout between us and Spurs… we probably need 1.8-2.0 PPG to finish ahead of Spurs

Edited by ender4

26 minutes ago, DevonIsAPlaceOnEarth said:

We most likely need 5 wins from 10 to get Champions league. A win against West Ham and Wolves and this Spurs business all becomes a distant memory.

I think we’ll need more than 5 wins.  Probably 7 wins needed by Villa or Spurs.

1 hour ago, villan95 said:

I think Wolves could be a banana skin. Maybe maximum points from Brentford, Bournemouth and Palace plus a couple of draws would be enough? 🤔

Wolves will have all of their forwards missing so they'll just sit in even more. Up to us to force the issue in that, we won't be playing 5atb that's for sure.

We were always going to lose games and spoiler alert, we will most likely lose at least a couple more.

Beat the teams that we should beat and 4th is ours, 5th most likely will be enough for champions league and I believe we'll do at least that.

Still a long way to go, but we're on track for qualifying for the CL and winning the ECL. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, VillaJay said:

We were always going to lose games and spoiler alert, we will most likely lose at least a couple more.

Beat the teams that we should beat and 4th is ours, 5th most likely will be enough for champions league and I believe we'll do at least that.

Still a long way to go, but we're on track for qualifying for the CL and winning the ECL. 

Yeah sure, but this was one of those games we likely needed to win and we let in 4 goals in the space of 50 minutes. That kind of throwing isn't exactly filling me with confidence for the rest of our run in. When it mattered the most we absolutely stopped playing football. I sure hope that we don't do that again for the rest of the season, but this isn't the first time we've absolutely fallen apart after 45min and I don't know if it'll be the last.