Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

7 hours ago, Leeroy said:

There are some decent comments on there too with some nice things to say about us, but some of their fans really are muppets.

You get this as your club becomes bigger and gains more “wannabee” fans. It’ll probably happen to us soon enough. 

• Like 1

I think my maths are right but a clean sweep for English clubs tonight and losses for the Germans takes us into that 2nd spot for the extra place...

Oh hang on, Qarabag ain't gonna win. Should be hardly any gap later though, if nobody capitulates.

Edited by Jareth

34 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I think my maths are right but a clean sweep for English clubs tonight and losses for the Germans takes us into that 2nd spot for the extra place...

Oh hang on, Qarabag ain't gonna win. Should be hardly any gap later though, if nobody capitulates.

Almost as important as our own game, West Ham doing a job on Freiburg would be tremendous.

1 minute ago, DevonIsAPlaceOnEarth said:

Almost as important as our own game, West Ham doing a job on Freiburg would be tremendous.

If England get the 5 CL places, yet West Ham win the Europa League and we finish 5th, would that mean we lose out considering we can't have 6 English teams in Champions League? 

8 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Honestly, their hatred of Cash is laughable. He hasn't got a bad bone in his body. He can be a bit rash and a bit clumsy with his tackling. And they're hating on him and worshipping Romero who makes genuinely nasty challenges with genuine intent to hurt players. It's pathetic.

Yeah the desire to correct what they see as an act of violence with their own act of violence from one of their players who is renowned for similar acts of violence is very amusing.

It'll be funny when Cash doesn't even play. They'll claim he was scared

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah the desire to correct what they see as an act of violence with their own act of violence from one of their players who is renowned for similar acts of violence is very amusing.

I've been thinking this, too.

Emery seems to like Konsa at right back in games against better opposition so it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Cash on the bench. I can already foresee pages of tweets from Spurs fans saying Emery knew "Cuti" would end Cash's career.

24 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Much worse as well. Them creaming themselves over his pass out from the back under no pressure the other day was comical though.

• Haha 1

This isnt a must win. Its a must not lose.i have got used to Emery going for the win but just this Sunday i hope he is far more pragmatic.  Work out how to stop their front 3 and not give them loads of grass to run into. Cash needs to take Son out with a chest height challenge for a start just to wind up their fans  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

This isnt a must win. Its a must not lose.i have got used to Emery going for the win but just this Sunday i hope he is far more pragmatic.  Work out how to stop their front 3 and not give them loads of grass to run into. Cash needs to take Son out with a chest height challenge for a start just to wind up their fans  

I would celebrate a point like we'd won a trophy to be honest

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mic09 said:

If England get the 5 CL places, yet West Ham win the Europa League and we finish 5th, would that mean we lose out considering we can't have 6 English teams in Champions League? 

There could even be seven apparently (not this season now as the UCL winner won't be from outside the top five in the PL):

In theory, there could even be seven Premier League clubs in the Champions League next season, although it would require for Premier League clubs to win this season’s UCL and UECL while both finishing outside the top five.  

Also they clearly mean UEL not UECL here, which could feasibly be West Ham or Brighton.

Edited by fightoffyour

4 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

It's an interesting thought that i hadn't considered. I like where you are coming from in the sense that you're considering beyond this one match, and how that may determine our standing come the season's end.

Is that the right driving force to be approaching this game? 

Spurs i must admit, similar to Arsenal, may have felt they could have walked away with more from the first fixture in which we versed them.

We are at a different stage of the season now however. I dont watch Spurs. I watch us. My tactical insights and predictions aren't all that valuable outside of expressing interest. Without wanting to get carried away, im posting to thank you for the thought and post, and also to question if it is indeed wise.

We are third and they are fourth. We beat them in the first meeting, and while they, in that game, showed how close they were to a different result, i don't think just because it was a nervy win what we've done all season to be where we are now, gets put on hold because Spurs victory in this match would be detrimental to us.

So they have they strengths and we want to mitigate the threat. That's a tactical consideration in every fixture.

We shouldn't be playing in fear and preparing ourselves around the idea that Spurs getting some ground back on us is what will determine the season for us.

It's our strengths and how great a threat we are that will. 

Great displays of build up and possession play have come out of our camp. There's the adage from Brazil that the ball doesn't have lungs. It's tiring to chase, and it's as much mental as physical. I'm not saying we will have more of the ball, I'm saying the intent of how we setup.

Catenaccio principles are great as are the tactics and players that came from it, but even without our best on the ball I'd say our team has a better chance doing our share of creating in this tie. Spurs will potentially gain some opportunities from that and hopefully we deal with that

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

It's an interesting thought that i hadn't considered. I like where you are coming from in the sense that you're considering beyond this one match, and how that may determine our standing come the season's end.

Is that the right driving force to be approaching this game? 

Spurs i must admit, similar to Arsenal, may have felt they could have walked away with more from the first fixture in which we versed them.

We are at a different stage of the season now however. I dont watch Spurs. I watch us. My tactical insights and predictions aren't all that valuable outside of expressing interest. Without wanting to get carried away, im posting to thank you for the thought and post, and also to question if it is indeed wise.

We are third and they are fourth. We beat them in the first meeting, and while they, in that game, showed how close they were to a different result, i don't think just because it was a nervy win what we've done all season to be where we are now, gets put on hold because Spurs victory in this match would be detrimental to us.

So they have they strengths and we want to mitigate the threat. That's a tactical consideration in every fixture.

We shouldn't be playing in fear and preparing ourselves around the idea that Spurs getting some ground back on us is what will determine the season for us.

It's our strengths and how great a threat we are that will. 

Great displays of build up and possession play have come out of our camp. There's the adage from Brazil that the ball doesn't have lungs. It's tiring to chase, and it's as much mental as physical. I'm not saying we will have more of the ball, I'm saying the intent of how we setup.

Catenaccio principles are great as are the tactics and players that came from it, but even without our best on the ball I'd say our team has a better chance doing our share of creating in this tie. Spurs will potentially gain some opportunities from that and hopefully we deal with that

The principle at the start of the game would be the same. G0 for it and try to score and therefore gain control. But lets just say we are 1 nil up with 30 left we drop deeper and deny them space and play on the break. Spurs will flood forward and our quality on the transition will play into our hands. Listen. I know nothing. But in my head it makes sense. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Brighton getting beat is bad, but at least Leverkusen are getting beat

Yeah Bighton not helping us at all. Leverkusen drew and they will win 2nd leg.

West Ham is the Big one vs Freiburg. Germany are the main challenge for the top 2 places. If West Ham knock them out it helps a lot

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

The principle at the start of the game would be the same. G0 for it and try to score and therefore gain control. But lets just say we are 1 nil up with 30 left we drop deeper and deny them space and play on the break. Spurs will flood forward and our quality on the transition will play into our hands. Listen. I know nothing. But in my head it makes sense. 

Neither do I and I'm glad to be able to have the discussion, thanks to you bringing it up.

You and the rest of us know of the potency that Spurs can bring going forward.

Finding a way to win which involves getting forward will mean open space and Spurs' players, Son above all, a craftsman of creating and finishing in these situations, is something we will have to address.

Honestly see where you are coming from, i see it as it being dealt with by in the moment decison making and executing solid defensive skill, either individually or collectively. Sure tactics have an immense influence but tactically i dont want us to compromise what weve built, if that makes sense?

We need West Ham to win this and then we should be OK. If Man City can match however far Bayern get and Liverpool match what Leverkusen do then whatever us and West Ham do should see 5th place go to the Prem.