Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

2 hours ago, CVByrne said:

We should be able to get 4 wins and 3 draws from the final 11 games. That's a collapse in form to 1.36 ppg

We've home games against Wolves Brentford and Bournemouth where we'll be heavy favourites 

We've home games to Spurs Chelsea and Liverpool. 

So out of those 6 games we should be getting 3 wins at worst and a draw or two.

Then away we've Brighton, Palace, West Ham we can definitely win one of those.

Then anything from Arsenal or City away is a bonus. 

We take it game by game and get the wins we need. We need 4 wins if we can draw 2 or 3.

Controversial opinion but I think we'll beat Chelsea reasonably comfortably in the run in. If you look at all four games we've played under them with UE we've kept a clean sheet in three of them.

The cup defeat was disappointing but basically that was a really poor show defensively in first 15 minutes and I doubt we'll be seeing that backline for the league match.

Even in Slippy's final VP game we created endless chances but somehow couldn't score so we're well overdue a league home win over them.

I can see us beating Chelsea but drawing with Brentford who will be fighting hard to stay up and will low block us to death.

They'll score a couple in the second half, Man. United already flagging.

Foden's having a shocker and Haaland isn't much better with that miss. Funnily enough Grealish would probably make a decent impact today.

• Like 1

Utd aren't an issue. They'll lose at Brentford or Chelsea this month.

More points means Ten Hag more likely to be stay so it's an overall positive.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, HolteExile said:

Roma, Ajax, Eintracht Frankfurt, Dynamo Zagreb and Fenerbache say hi. 

Clearly missed the struggled in recent years part. Are they saying hi?

just realised these teams are in it because they got thrown out of  Europa too.  Proves my point even more. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

3 minutes ago, Callum said:

Foden man. What a player. An out and out footballer. Unreal. 

Remember saying he was betting than Grealish a few years back and if didn’t go down well around here.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

I stopped worrying about United after last week but that's the final nail in the coffin now, they are done. 

4th or 5th for us this season. Finishing top 4 would obviously look nicer but 5th probably ends up with a CL place anyway. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Noticed Tottenhams 2 last games are Burnley and Sheffield and they'll probably be gone by then. Although games before are Liverpool, Arsenal, Man City and on form Newcastle. They'll be dropping points there, so we can certainly afford to lose some games and still have 4th in the bag. 

We're at home to Liverpool and then have Palace who would be safe by then. So being 3 or 4 points clear and needing just 2 or 3 points for top 4 is fine.

Plus we'll both know of extra CL place by then 

• Like 1

That’s United more or less out of it. 

Kind of goes back to game theory now. Going further in conference significantly helps our chances if we finish 5th. Wouldn’t be so sure we will rest anyone for Europe. 

Can we finally rule Man. United out please.

It gets very tedious when they win a game and this thread gets spammed for pages about how people are petrified they'll overtake us when they're still 7-8 points behind.

They'll struggle to get much past 60 points imo.

I could understand it when they beat us as they had momentum and were only 5 off us but since then we've won three out of three and they've lost two out of three which shows where both clubs are at this season.

Edited by VillaChris

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Foden's having a shocker and Haaland isn't much better with that miss. Funnily enough Grealish would probably make a decent impact today.

Well that aged well 

• Like 3

Just now, VillaChris said:

Can we finally rule Man. United out please.

It gets very tedious when they win a game and this thread gets spammed for pages about how people are petrified they'll overtake us when they're still 7-8 points behind.

They'll struggle to get much past 60 points imo.

I could understand it when they beat us as they had momentum and were only 5 off us but since then we've won three out of three and they've lost two out of three which shows where both clubs are at this season.

Thank you!!! Even if they had won they would have been 8 points off on equal games played. United look like team fighting to avoid relegation, will finish a minimum of ten points off the top 5.