Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

34 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Thing is though. Imagine our squad following a summer transfer window ahead of a champions league campaign.

We would have 3 or 4 very high calibre additions to what we already have. 

Not sure on that. I think we'll try to hang on to what we have but we'll follow a similar model to January.

Newcastle made the CL and their transfer business was Lewis Hall, Tonali and Harvey Barnes. Probably didn't do enough there with all their injuries but could see Howe's thinking in not wanting to disrupt the team spirit and balance of the team.

Issue is if we sign 3-4 high calibre players that will further increase the wage bill so we will remain in danger of FFP breaches if we then don't secure CL the following season.

From what I remember aswell once we're eliminated from CL there isn't Europa league drop in either.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Not sure on that. I think we'll try to hang on to what we have but we'll follow a similar model to January.

Newcastle made the CL and their transfer business was Lewis Hall, Tonali and Harvey Barnes. Probably didn't do enough there with all their injuries but could see Howe's thinking in not wanting to disrupt the team spirit and balance of the team.

Issue is if we sign 3-4 high calibre players that will further increase the wage bill so we will remain in danger of FFP breaches if we then don't secure CL the following season.

From what I remember aswell once we're eliminated from CL there isn't Europa league drop in either.

You get EL if you come 3rd in the group.  Don't think you drop in from the qualifying stage though.

53 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

If we qualify for CL we are guaranteed two more matches than ManU and Newcastle had in Europe this season.

Only 8 teams out of 32 will drop out after the group stage, and I’m sure we make into the knockout stage. 

13 minutes ago, Zatman said:

All them absurd posts from two weeks ago claiming the season is over have not aged very well. Not that they werent dramatic OTT opinions at the time

They’ll come back the next loss. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

I think Livramento too.  They spent over 100m and one gets banned and the other is always injured ! 

Didnt know where else to post this..

What a couple of weeks ahead.

Ajax fixtures put us up against an established UCL team

A chance at the jugular of Spurs to give ourselves that edge on UCL next season 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, A'Villan said:

Didnt know where else to post this..

What a couple of weeks ahead.

Ajax fixtures put us up against an established UCL team

A chance at the jugular of Spurs to give ourselves that edge on UCL next season 

Ramsey hitting form just at the right time. 

Ramsey/Moreno attacking the space behind Porro and an on fire Leon Bailey in behind ooooh Doggy will hopefully be a delight to watch!

19 minutes ago, MSvillain said:

Ramsey hitting form just at the right time. 

Ramsey/Moreno attacking the space behind Porro and an on fire Leon Bailey in behind ooooh Doggy will hopefully be a delight to watch!

Think they are both injured at the minute, they might be back though for our game.  WE can defo hit them in that area though even if they aren't playing.

• Like 1

Doesn't really belong here but the fight for 7th spot is really interesting as well. West Ham, Brighton, Newcastle, even Wolves and maybe Chelsea. Only a few points separates the lot. 

If United keep messing up and play more like their rubbish selves then their occasionally ok selves, they could fall back into it. 

Nice to be watching it from a relatively elevated spot... would be nice if we can guarantee ourselves top 5 before the last few games, and have 5th spot guaranteed CL also.  Long shot I know

This time last year it all clicked for us, especially down our left and with Watkins, and we charged up from 11th-12th to 7th in the run in and went 10 games unbeaten.

Look at where we are now! We just need to keep steady and we can secure top 4 (having been in or around it all season). 

Edited by Captain_Townsend
  • Like 1