Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

hard to see us not getting twatted in games against big clubs. Unless we're playing 2nd rate fluff we're going to be raped at the back against good sides. United should be good value to score another 3 against us on Sunday.

**** this. All in on the ECL really for something to celebrate. We're going to tail out into 6th or 7th in the league if Konsa is out for a long time, or we get more injuries to Torres.

• Like 2

If United do us on Sunday (which really won't be hard if they play fast) then I'll start to be concerned for the rest of our season. 

5 points not really anything and with how we're playing that will wind down fast. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

I think some of you need to remember it wasn't that long ago that we were in the Championship without a pot to piss in. 

We've come so far in a short space of time. Nobody would have predicted Emery to have come in and taken us straight into Europe. 

We are now competing against sides who have been established in the top 4 or 5 for years during which several of them we spent outside the top division. 

To be where we are, as a fan, I'm over the moon. Would I like CL next season? Yes please. Would I like to win the Conference League? Yes please. But if neither of them happen, the turnaround at this club in 14 months has been amazing and the odd poor performance won't negate from that. 

We've seen before though in football you have to take chances when they come rather than wait another year or two.

Hopefully it won't all fall apart like it did after the MON era but that is the big lesson and some of the underachievers in the league should be much better next season.

When Newcastle were riding high last season I bet they weren't saying it's not a disaster if they finished 6-7th because they were in the championship five years ago, they went and finished top 4.

We need to do the same.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pongo Waring said:

Man United is a make or break game. The pressure is getting to us

Hah, a make or break game against the side we are most jinxed against? Think we know how this one will end! 

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Hah, a make or break game against the side we are most jinxed against? Think we know how this one will end! 

We just crumbled on national tv against Chelsea at the fortress Villa Park.
Sunday the whole football world will be watching. its prime time slot. Make of break game. Can we handle the pressure.

2 hours ago, AshVilla said:

No chance.

Can't even beat Chelsea.

Yet we beat Chelsea in the competition that you need points to get to the Champions League

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AshVilla said:

If we were to win then lose then win continuing in that pattern for the rest of the season would that be enough for top 4?

That would be 3 points out of every 2 games, so 1.5 PPG.  No that wouldn’t be enough for 4th and probably not for 5th either depending on Man Utd’s PPG for the rest of the season. 

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, ender4 said:

That would be 3 points out of every 2 games, so 1.5 PPG.  No that wouldn’t be enough for 4th and probably not for 5th either depending on Man Utd’s PPG for the rest of the season. 

22.5 round up 23 + 46 = 69 good enough for 4th twice last 5 seasons. Most for 4th last 5 is 71pts

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We won't do it. Last night was very telling. We simply don't have the quality nor mentality to finish in the top 4. Europa league will be an amazing achievement for us but no guarantees. I expect us to slide down the league now.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

We won't do it. Last night was very telling. We simply don't have the quality nor mentality to finish in the top 4. Europa league will be an amazing achievement for us but no guarantees. I expect us to slide down the league now.

Do you live for these posts? Does it give you energy?

We have key players to come back from injury

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Very strange performance.

Looked like the Sheffield Utd match never happened. Very short on confidence.

We've been pretty good in big games under Emery. Time to grow some nuts men.