Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

13 minutes ago, calcifer said:

Wouldn't be the 1st time we blew a big  points gap when in a champions league place... it would be all at our own doing this time,  not down to Arsenal signing a goal machine and we signed Heskey 🤣

So this would be much much worse if we let Utd catch us. Losing next Sunday isn't an option. We should have beaten them at Old Trafford. That was on the team! We let them back into that match. 

Yesterday's performance was a great confidence boost. 

Need the crowd in full voice Sunday, I think if we bring our A game they won't lay a glove on us.

Sky and the rest of the media will be jizzing all over Manure in the hope they get the final CL place. They only jizzed over Newcastle because of the Saudi owners! 

It almost pains Sky to even talk about Villa in the CL. While to neutrals its refreshing and good for the game for a none scum 6 side to get CL. 

Why would they, Sky don't have the rights to the competition and basically ignore it on their outlets until an English team gets to the final.

Just now, VillaChris said:

Why would they, Sky don't have the rights to the competition and basically ignore it on their outlets until an English team gets to the final.

They talk about qualification for the CL but still refuse to discus Villa in the mix

4 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

Am I being an arsehole for thinking being 5-0 after 46 mins we could have done with getting a couple more for the goal difference? It would have been nice to beat our away win record too (6-0 v derby in 2008, which I'm adamant if Petrovs goal was scored by some at the time 'Big 4' melt it would still be being shown today)

Yes

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I don't think they are....but they are inconsistent.

Both are capable of producing moments of really good football.

We will do well to beat Utd next week, because we rely on playing open football against them, and they just love that, like we do.

West Ham, have only lost 1 more game than us, depite being 10 points behind, going in to todays game.

I think teams are better than bang average, in the top half of the Premier league.....it depends on what day or what game they are judged.

I agree with you though, I will be disappointed if they finish above us, with the noise around Old Trafford, and the stability around us.

If we can continue with 2 points average per game, we will be fine.

Next weekend is massive. 

A real 6 pointer for us against Man Utd.  Win and we would be 11 points ahead of them with 14 matches to go.  Whilst Utd are one of those teams that could string 6 or 7 wins together they are also the type of team that can just as easily string 2 or 3 defeats together.  I can't see them scoring more than 25 - 30 points in those 14 games so that would leave us needing 20 to be pretty confident.  So from that perspective a draw wouldn't be a bad result - leaving us an 8 point gap.  So 25 points (2 points per game to be relatively comfortable) from the last 14.  Lose and we've got a battle to regain momentum.

On the same day West Ham play Arsenal.  If we win and West Ham lose - we'll have at least an 11 point lead over the team in 7th.  If Brighton don't beat Spurs on Saturday then that lead could be 13 points.

I mean maybe draws in both of those other games would be ideal - but I think the dream combination would probably be wins for Spurs, Arsenal and us.  That would establish a pretty big gap between the Top 5 in the table and the battle for 6th-9th.  Whilst wins for West Ham and Brighton might help us in the battle for 4th - I think I'd prefer to get a step closer to fifth.  Worst case would probably be wins for Utd, West Ham and Brighton as that makes the gap below us look a bit more insecure.

6th / 7th was my target at the start of the season.  Hopefully by the end of next weekend we'll have a big gap to those places and can then focus on the battle for 5th and above. 

If we can claim a good FA Cup win in midweek (no injuries and not having to expend too much energy) then all the better.  I just hope that we don't have an end-to-end belter of a cup tie that goes to extra time and penalties.  A nice comfortable 2-0 home win would be perfect.  Well actually two nice 2-0 home wins next week would be absolutely superb.

12 minutes ago, calcifer said:

They talk about qualification for the CL but still refuse to discus Villa in the mix

Is that the main pundits or Sky sports news? I only watch the rivers of the games they cover, not the actual punditry (which is really just getting Roy Keane or Richards to say something that can be a meme or whatever appeals to Gen Z).

Dan Bardell is on Sky Sports News a fair bit nowadays as a general football reporter so I'm sure he's fighting our corner a fair bit.

Watching Arsenal v Liverpool and we really have a great team when we're on form, we have nothing to fear from them and quite a few of our players would get into their first team, Ollie and Bailey plus a few others.

1 hour ago, calcifer said:

Wouldn't be the 1st time we blew a big  points gap when in a champions league place... it would be all at our own doing this time,  not down to Arsenal signing a goal machine and we signed Heskey 🤣

So this would be much much worse if we let Utd catch us. Losing next Sunday isn't an option. We should have beaten them at Old Trafford. That was on the team! We let them back into that match. 

Yesterday's performance was a great confidence boost. 

Need the crowd in full voice Sunday, I think if we bring our A game they won't lay a glove on us.

Sky and the rest of the media will be jizzing all over Manure in the hope they get the final CL place. They only jizzed over Newcastle because of the Saudi owners! 

It almost pains Sky to even talk about Villa in the CL. While to neutrals its refreshing and good for the game for a none scum 6 side to get CL. 

2 points is a big points gap?

10 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

2 points is a big points gap?

Talking about from 5th to 6th. If 5th gives CL  football. 

10 minutes ago, calcifer said:

Talking about from 5th to 6th. If 5th gives CL  football. 

We need to ignore 5th, be a bit nore positive and go for 4th at least. Man U is as good as a 6 pointer next week so we need to win that game for a good chance to stay in the top 4 come the end of the season. An obviously to shut up all the pundits when we actually finish 4th!

3 minutes ago, villaglint said:

We are Aston Villa - however unlikely you think it is we’ll give it a damn good go. 

That’s the one thing keeping me from saying it’s impossible 😂

• Like 1

Beat United on Sunday and we’ve got some breathing room before spurs in March, after these fixtures we don’t really go two weeks without playing someone around us as well as added conference and possibly FA cup fixtures. 
IMG_1853.thumb.jpeg.e02df04f26ddce9e8aaa4ea26eba1ccb.jpeg

2 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

Short term yes. But we are averaging 2pts a game and if we continue to do that until the end of the season, then we probably finish in top 4, regardless of what happens against Man Utd.

we are averaging 2 PPG over Emery's tenure in the PL, but our last 6 PL games we are averaging 1.33 PPG.

Hopefully we can get back to 1.75 or 2 PPG over the next few games.