Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

Going to put on a bit of Frankie goes to Hollywood at half time.

RELAX.

This forum does feel like it's populated by a bunch of entitled five year olds sometimes.

It's been an indifferent run lately but we've totally and utterly cruised this one as we should going by league position.

Feels like there was no team talk today and we just watched the end of the Spurs match and that was enough.

Second half is all about getting the GD well away from Spurs. Newcastle scored 8 on this ground in September...

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, jimmygreaves said:

Joint 2nd

How many more goals do we need to go above Arsenal?

They pulled away from us on GD after beating Palace 5-0 so that's something to aim for as Liverpool might beat them by a couple tomorrow.

Sheffield United have been woeful this season of course but tbf they've improved under Wilder and this never looked like being an easy fixture before it started. Definitely still in this.

Try and remain ahead of Spurs going into our game with them, which I think we will purely because of the two point cushion and Spurs’ game with Chelsea has been postponed, so one fewer for them.

Long way to go. 

Nice result, gets us back 10 points ahead of West Ham (for now). 

6 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Spurs game will be huge

Before we worry about Spurs, let's try not to lose to United (ideally, let's get some of the spirit of REVENGE that characterised tonight). Unlikely as it may seem United are a side who could just get together a run of 6 wins or something at some point, keeping them at arms length is our first priority. 

• Like 2

On 02/02/2024 at 09:52, GlobalVillan said:

I just think we will draw. Football doesn't always follow logic and we have poor form, a bad record at their place and a generally dodgy away record.

So I think it'll be a draw. Is that ok with you boss? Or must I agree with whatever you think?

I didn’t say you had to agree.  Was just curious why you thought it would be a draw.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, VillaChris said:

We do need to win as I'm still targeting 70 points for this season.

So getting to 46 points after an indifferent run feels psychologically better than failing to beat the bottom club for second time in six weeks and then wins do feel really hard to come by.

24 out of 45pts is surely achievable 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

24 out of 45pts is surely achievable 

People seem to still think this is the title race thread as every single game we don't win is a complete disaster. It really isn't.

As you say we could well make top 4 winning fewer than half our remaining games so posters need to remember that and not throw a strop if we lose to likes of Arsenal and Liverpool in the run in as those games might not matter too much.

• Like 2

Fifteen games.

Pessimistic mind, let’s say we don’t get anything from Citeh, Arsenal and Liverpool. Nothing. 

So that’s 24 points from 12 games to reach 70 (we might need more, I think we will need a couple more, but let’s look at 70).

That’s 6 wins and 6 draws.

Man Utd, Fulham, Forest, Luton, Spurs, West Ham, Wolves, Brentford, Bournemouth, Chelsea, Brighton and Palace.

I look at those and I think we should be getting something from each. It’s just can we turn West Ham away into a win, can we beat Wolves at Villa Park?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

It’s just can we turn West Ham away into a win, can we beat Wolves at Villa Park?

*long pause*

"Good afternoon."

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Haha 3