Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

Spurs are looking very good against United. I actually think that United and Spurs have better squads than us and we’ll do really well to finish above either. We do have our not so secret weapon though in Unai. With him in charge we’ve got a chance. Our form has dipped but we’re still in a good position. If we get our form back soon, we’re very much in with a shout of top 4.

We’ll split the games against the other teams competing in the UCL. 

Where we need all 3 are these low block teams. 

The United, Spurs, and Chelsea’s of the world will not be sitting in low blocks and will come to play. 

But the Everton, Wolves, Palace, Sheffield, Luton of the world are going to make it miserable and we need all 3 points to get a chance at UCL. 

Edited by DJBOB
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Spurs are looking very good against United. I actually think that United and Spurs have better squads than us and we’ll do really well to finish above either. We do have our not so secret weapon though in Unai. With him in charge we’ve got a chance. Our form has dipped but we’re still in a good position. If we get our form back soon, we’re very much in with a shout of top 4.

We won’t do well to finish above Man Utd, we’re 11 points above them with a better GD and they look dreadful. We should not be finishing below them at all with 17 games to go. We also play them at home, as we do Spurs.

I think we have a better squad than spurs, better options off the bench, but they’re playing better than us currently and are strengthening their squad while we aren’t (or can’t). I’d have taken Werner here even if he can’t finish. I reckon we finish below them but that’s just because our performance levels have dropped so much recently. If we can get back to how we were playing then we can still finish top 4 as it’s in our hands. Unai will be working hard to sort it I’m sure.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

Simply amazing how dreadful Man United are against Spurs right now. Something just clicks right into place whenever they play Villa.

We had them for the taking and took our foot off the gas.   We're still developing, another game down and nothing lost.

58 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Not the worst result Spurs drawing, as you were.

Yeah we need to keep the gap to Chelsea really. They're the only team left who can break the top 5. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

A reminder.

Wolves 1-1 Newcastle

Newcastle 0-0 Crystal Palace

Newcastle 1-1 Bournemouth 

Newcastle 0-0 Leeds

Crystal Palace 0-0 Newcastle 

Newcastle 1-1 West Ham

Bournemouth 1-1 Newcastle 

Leeds 2-2 Newcastle 

Newcastle 0-0 Leicester 

Newcastle finished fourth last season despite recording all these results.

71 points won't get top 4 this season like Newcastle got last season 

26 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

71 points won't get top 4 this season like Newcastle got last season 

Hmmm. Maybe. Debatable.

After 21 games Man Utd were 3rd on 42 points. Newcastle were 4th on 40 points after 21 games. It’s really not that different to this season, as it stands. We’re one point better off than Man Utd were, Spurs have exactly the same number of points as Newcastle did.

The point being made was countering the idea that we can’t keep not beating Everton or Sheffield United. We can still do it, just means it puts more emphasis on beating Newcastle. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nick76 said:

Yet we are still joint second

No, we are 3rd. 

Not being pedantic but joint 2nd would require a whole set of different stats to the ones in the league table.

3rd is an amazing position to be in. And that's where we are.

Edited by GlobalVillan

4 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

No, we are 3rd. 

Not being pedantic but joint 2nd would require a whole set of different stats to the ones in the league table.

3rd is an amazing position to be in. And that's where we are.

I hate this " Joint " narrative lol.

If the season finished now, we'd finish 3rd, not " joint second " 🤣

• Like 2