Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

On 20/09/2023 at 10:44, thunderball said:

A draw with Liverpool or Newcastle would have seen us comfortably 3rd. Impressive. 1.93pts/game average; beat Chelsea on Sunday and we are over 2.0pts/game again.

Look at Chelsea....!

This is madness. Change it to add the 3 games in 2022 under Unai and we have 1.93 average over 30 games. 

I still think losing Mings and the amount of games we will have hampers any chance of getting top 5.  But you can’t argue with our form over Unai’s time in charge.

• Like 2

Unai Emery has worked wonders, if we can keep up the 2pts per game average after the injuries we’ve had and the extra games, then he will be a miracle worker, and we’ll likely get 5th. I don’t think we will though, and not qualifying for the CL is certainly not a failure. Just qualifying for Europe again would be good, along with some good cup runs. 

Kind of weird how just 6 games in we're in a position today whereby the lowest we can drop with a defeat is two places and the highest we can rise with a win is one place (depending on other results).

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

Unai Emery has worked wonders, if we can keep up the 2pts per game average after the injuries we’ve had and the extra games, then he will be a miracle worker, and we’ll likely get 5th. I don’t think we will though, and not qualifying for the CL is certainly not a failure. Just qualifying for Europe again would be good, along with some good cup runs. 

If we finish on 76 points we're getting top 4.

I don't think 75 points has ever missed out on 4th and some seasons you can even finish 2nd with that points haul.

Season Leicester won the league Arsenal finished 2nd with 71 points.

The teams at the bottom are generally terrible this season so think it will be a higher points total than usual to finish in the european places.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mrchnry said:

I don't think we're playing particularly well at the moment. If we can get things to gel quickly there's no reason we can't be competing for that europa spot. 

Was about to say, our results have us in the race, but our performances don't yet.

Hopefully though, we'll gain confidence, players will get fitter and the system will get more fluid etc

• Like 1

Said at the start of the week we need to get something against Chelsea and we've done just that. They are rubbish but our away performances have been dodgy so very glad we've managed to avoid going full Villa kamikaze and giving Chelsea a lift. 

We've not really been playing super well but 4 wins from our first 6 league games is a very solid start. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jareth said:

How many points better off are we at this stage compared to last? Is it 9? 

We’re 8 points better off (we were on 4 points after 6 games last season).

Like for like games we’re 1 point worse off than we were last season (Newcastle, Liverpool, Chelsea - away, Everton, Palace - home), we managed 10 points last season compared to the 9 this season.

I don’t like comparing this years promoted clubs v last years relegated clubs as I think it’s a fairly questionable comparison so won’t include the Burnley win. 

But being a single point off is fine, as I think we’ll make it up massively this season in the like for like games we dropped points in last season (I’m thinking the likes of the away games against Forest, Fulham, Wolves, Palace, Bournemouth…one point from those five, loads of scope for improvement). 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, viivvaa66 said:

av.thumb.png.4523b521e0972e6cbcdeba0807667a7a.png
After 6 games we have as many points we managed after 13 last season. We are already 8 points better off than last season. 

We are not playing well, but we are getting the points. 

So we have 7 more games to gain points on top of probably what we got last season? Blimey. 

Not to get too carried away but October and November are decent fixtures for Villa; it is a possibility that we could be top four in December.

Many fixtures in December but one or two winnable games also in the PL.

We may need reinforcements in January too and this will be helped if Villa are in a favourable position in the PL for any prospective new signings.

• Like 1

What a brilliant start to the season, considering the fixtures we've had to begin with. Not only that, both our losses in really tough away games were games where we had to deal with a starting CB getting crooked and our game plan going out the window. After Brighton we have a really nice run of games, we could be in a brilliant position by December. If we can somehow get a win out of a tough game at home to Brighton we'll be in a dream position.