Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

39 minutes ago, RichW said:

If I was to try and predict the next 8 league fixtures

Palace - W

Chelsea - L  - Just think this will be tough due an away European fixture in the week whilst Chelsea don't

Brighton -  D  - Can't help but think Brighton are due a win against us but with it being a home fixture got a feeling this will be a entertaining draw.

Wolves/West Ham - One of these screams a really annoying/frustrating loss but can't make up my mind which one it will be. Both bogey sides for us no matter how poor they are. Think we will get 3 points from these 2 fixtures

Luton  - W - Got to beating these at Villa Park it's as simple as that. 

Forest - D - Can't decide between win or draw on this one. Gone for draw because they have improved at home recently however it could just be down to needing points to stay up last season and started the season well. Could be a game we nick late but will go for a draw.

Fulham - W - Don't think these will be as good last season and don't see where their goals are coming from. Got to be winning these games. 

That gives us 14 points out 24. Football never works out the way we think so wouldn't be surprised if Villa beat Chelsea but lost to Fulham. 

14 points out of those next 8 games would actually be pretty poor if we have any ambition to be in the mix for 5th position.

Really need to get 16 minimum while its a favourable run.

32 minutes ago, ender4 said:

14 points out of those next 8 games would actually be pretty poor if we have any ambition to be in the mix for 5th position.

Agreed. 14 points from those writes off the race for the champions league in my opinion. 

16 maintains the 2ppg target for the season, but with it being a favourable run even that is likely to see us struggle for champions league. 

For what it's worth, I think we'll do better than 16 Points,  but sadly think our injury crisis and lack of depth will see us fall short at the end of the season as tiredness and injuries set in. Let's hope we've won a cup by then or have solidified a top 8 finish and can focus on winning the conference league.

A great run in the next 8 games could see my optimism meter shift...

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

United and Newcastle had 22 points from the 1st 12 games last season and both finished top 4.

Liverpool finished 5th and had 18 points

36 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Agreed. 14 points from those writes off the race for the champions league in my opinion. 

16 maintains the 2ppg target for the season, but with it being a favourable run even that is likely to see us struggle for champions league. 

For what it's worth, I think we'll do better than 16 Points,  but sadly think our injury crisis and lack of depth will see us fall short at the end of the season as tiredness and injuries set in. Let's hope we've won a cup by then or have solidified a top 8 finish and can focus on winning the conference league.

A great run in the next 8 games could see my optimism meter shift...

I think Villa will sign a couple of players (at least) in January to bolster the squad and perhaps more if there are any more injuries.

Hopefully Villa are in a good position around December/January which also looks favourable if there is a 'next-level' player that can improve the team.

January can also unearth some good players contrary to this incorrect notion that it is a bad time to buy players. For instance; Villa signed Ashley Young, Chelsea signed Matic, Liverpool signed Coutinho, Man Poo signed Fernandes, Liverplop signed Van Dijk, the list is endless...

• Like 1

United, Arsenal and Spurs have made a habit of losing to most of their rivals, beating the smaller teams and finishing in the top 4 in recent history. Last season we had a pretty good record against the traditional big 6 under Emery, we beat Spurs twice, United, and Chelsea + drew with Liverpool as well as walloping Newcastle at home. Admittedly we played poorly against two of the most aggressive teams in the league away from home, with both games featuring early injuries to one of the CBs. No reason to lose hope yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

United and Newcastle had 22 points from the 1st 12 games last season and both finished top 4.

Liverpool finished 5th and had 18 points

Also after 30 games last season Spurs were 3 points off top 4 and finished outside the European places altogether. 

Way too early to even be thinking about needing certain points totals to be in contention for top 4/5. Last season taught me that the run in for these Europe places doesn’t really start to game week 33. Pretty sure Brentford and Fulham weren’t far off the top 4 after 25 games last season and they finished behind us. 

Either way I think it will be really difficult to finish in the top 4/5. Expect Man City/Arsenal/Liverpool to occupy the top 3 and then it’s a battle between several teams for the last two spaces. It’s a long season. 

9 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Yes, that Brighton. Sounds like you could make some money if you play your cards right.

Yes, Arsenal are rightly favourites because they've played better than Everton this season. That's more of an indicator than their record the last five years.

Season starts Saturday.

Regardless we step onto the pitch every time v Brighton believing we'll beat them wherever they are in the league or how many hat-tricks Evan Ferguson has scored.

I don't really think we have that same belief v West Ham for whatever reason although we did play o.k in the away game last season and it was a very dodgy penalty they got so hopefully we can get at least 4 points this season.

How much money did you lose from betting on Arsenal winning every year at Stoke then?😉

4 hours ago, RichW said:

Way too early to even be thinking about needing certain points totals to be in contention for top 4/5. Last season taught me that the run in for these Europe places doesn’t really start to game week 33. 

Nah, whilst you can’t qualify for Europe early in the season, you can definitely lose a spot by falling behind the chasing pack.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ender4 said:

Leaves us with 20 points from first 12.

This was the table after 12 games last season:

3rd Spurs played 13 26 points

4th Necastle played 13 24 points

5th Chelsea played 12 21 points

6th Man. United played 11 20 points

16th Villa played 13 12 points

So we'd be in the mix even with an average points haul in next two months.

4 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Leaves us with 20 points from first 12.

This was the table after 12 games last season:

3rd Spurs played 13 26 points

4th Necastle played 13 24 points

5th Chelsea played 12 21 points

6th Man. United played 11 20 points

16th Villa played 13 12 points

So we'd be in the mix even with an average points haul in next two months.

But,  having played mostly favourable fixtures.

Obviously Emery smashed it in an unfavorable run after joining us anyway, so it doesn't mean as much as it used to. That said, i'd still like us to be punching above our weight before the tolls of a longer season that most of our team have ever played start to take effect.

3 hours ago, MrBlack said:

But,  having played mostly favourable fixtures.

Obviously Emery smashed it in an unfavorable run after joining us anyway, so it doesn't mean as much as it used to. That said, i'd still like us to be punching above our weight before the tolls of a longer season that most of our team have ever played start to take effect.

We won't keep losing every game against other european teams (although Liverpool needs to be a wake up call). Should get at least a draw v Chelsea unless we're knackered from first europa game so it will all balance out up to December when things really do get manic.

Surely Chelsea have had a more favourable start with homes v Luton and Forest and we're already two clear of them. 

January will be a big window. We didn't do much last January but at least got in Moreno who unquestionably improved our first 11 so trick is to find two players of that quality but depends on what the cup situation is I guess.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

Thankfully, Emery isn't a fool, which is exactly why he won't be just trying to place 7th and he won't be lingering on the idea of "thinking realistically." He's an uniquely aspirational manager and he motivates through aiming high and a meticulous planning regime. He grasps reality enough to know that grasping reality itself sometimes needs to be modulated. His approach doesn't always work out, but no footballer is going to fight with all their heart for 9th, 8th, etc. place, and he's actually "realistic" enough to know that. Supporters and the media, on the other hand, can be as "realistic" as they wish. It definitely helps protect me against disappointment, but I don't expected our players or manager to think that way.

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 1

It’s only natural that our expectations go through the roof as soon as we have a bit of success on the pitch. It’s what we’ve always done. It’s just a shame then when people start complaining that we’re not hitting the dreamy heights of those highest expectations, and forget where we’ve been and how good things are right now. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Let's worry about consolidating top 7 and trying to push into top 6 first, before we start being pre worried about scenarios which would see us miss out on Champions League ffs 😂

That will be difficult enough.

Asking a football fan not to "pre-worry" is like asking a meat pie to become a carton of tofu. Might be good for the health, but can't be done. 😉

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Let's worry about consolidating top 7 and trying to push into top 6 first, before we start being pre worried about scenarios which would see us miss out on Champions League ffs 😂

That will be difficult enough.

Agree 100%. Unrealistic for us to be considered a CL contender this season. The 2 huge injuries will significantly hamper us, especially TM. 
If we were able to match our 7th place finish and win the ECL that, for me, would be a fantastic season. 

• Like 1