Europa Conference League 23/24

HalfTimePost

Just now, tomsky_11 said:

I'd rather minimise the risk of not making the group stage by having an easier draw, given it's our first European fixture in a while and will be the first for a number of players in the squad. We can settle into the competition and beat the best teams later.

He’s not bothered, mate. Get over it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, tomsky_11 said:

I'd rather minimise the risk of not making the group stage by having an easier draw, given it's our first European fixture in a while and will be the first for a number of players in the squad. We can settle into the competition and beat the best teams later.

As shown with stevange there is no gurantees

22 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Who said anything about guarantees?

32 minutes ago, tomsky_11 said:

To add another reason into the mix, what's the likely difference in revenue in the competition with we fail to make the group? Assuming we get very little for losing the playoff, and Spurs made £10M for dropping out at the group stage, we could probably do without losing out on £10M revenue we'll be planning to bank.

Our chances of qualifying would obviously be better if we were playing a side from the unseeded part of the draw rather than Juventus.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Let's face it, we battered Stevenage and they scored a couple of freak, quick goals. 

The difference is this is 2 legs.  Imagine the team we would have put out in a second leg against Stevenage to see the tie out. 

Big teams rarely go out over 2 legs. I know they do but very rarely.  The second game is an insurance policy. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Let's face it, we battered Stevenage and they scored a couple of freak, quick goals. 

The difference is this is 2 legs.  Imagine the team we would have put out in a second leg against Stevenage to see the tie out. 

Big teams rarely go out over 2 legs. I know they do but very rarely.  The second game is an insurance policy. 

I'm sure this happened in 2009-10 and the following year 2010-2011. I just cant think who.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, captain said:

I'm sure this happened in 2009-10 and the following year 2010-2011. I just cant think who.

Like I said, it does happen, but not often. 

And especially not often with a manager the caliber of Emery in charge. 

• Like 1

Osasuna get the 7th spot in Spain then. Quite nice achievement as they also got to the Copa Del Rey final and narrowly lost to Real Madrid.

Juventus 7th in Serie A so they'll be favourites to win this based on reputation.

3 hours ago, tomsky_11 said:

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you are saying, I'm pretty sure this isn't right, it's 8 teams that will be ahead of us in the seeding no matter what:

Lille

Frankfurt

Qualifier from Italy

Loser of Europa League qualifier involving Olympiacos

Loser of Europa League qualifier involving Slavia Prague

Winner of Conference 3rd round qualifier involving AZ

Winner of Conference 3rd round qualifier involving Partizan

Winner of Conference 3rd round qualifier involving Dynamo Kyiv

Then there are 10 further teams that could push us down the seeding rankings if they get past the 2nd qualifying round:

Plzen

Maccabi Tel Aviv

PAOK

Cluj

Fenerbahce

Gent

Basel

Club Brugge

Basaksehir

Midtjylland

The last two teams listed might still not qualify for the competition at all, in which case we'd be guaranteed the last seeded spot in the play offs.

Slight misunderstanding. Only 2 teams formally confirmed; wasn't fully sure on the Italy position but see that is now Juventus has got the Italy spot confirmed. Updated table FYI: 

My understanding is only the 3rd round is left to play before the draw so not necessarily all of the teams can/will qualify.

Schedule for 2023–24 UEFA Europa Conference League
Phase Round Draw date First leg Second leg
Qualifying First qualifying round 20 June 2023 13 July 2023 20 July 2023
Second qualifying round 21 June 2023 27 July 2023 3 August 2023
Third qualifying round 24 July 2023 10 August 2023 17 August 2023
Play-offs Play-off round 7 August 2023 24 August 2023 31 August 2023
Group stage Matchday 1 1 September 2023 21 September 2023
Matchday 2 5 October 2023
Matchday 3 26 October 2023
Matchday 4 9 November 2023
Matchday 5 30 November 2023
Matchday 6 14 December 2023
Knockout phase Knockout round play-offs 18 December 2023 15 February 2024 22 February 2024
Round of 16 23 February 2024 7 March 2024 14 March 2024
Quarter-finals 15 March 2024 11 April 2024 18 April 2024
Semi-finals 2 May 2024 9 May 2024
Final 29 May 2024 at TBA

So all those that are in the 2nd round or before could be knocked out still (7 of the confirmed teams ahead of us plus possibly 2 more). The point is that there is a lot that can happen between now and then and we only need one or 2 things to go our way anyway. With Emery in charge I'm not worried whoever we face.

Edited by cyrusr

22 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

Slight misunderstanding. Only 2 teams formally confirmed

Figured that's where you where going with it, but like I say there's 6 other slots above us definitely already taken, just the exact team filling that slot could change. It's impossible for us to be higher than the 9th of 17 seeded teams.

My understanding is only the 3rd round is left to play before the draw so not necessarily all of the teams can/will qualify.

Correct. Same for the Europa League qualifiers involving Slavia and Olympiacos.

So all those that are in the 2nd round or before could be knocked out still (7 of the confirmed teams ahead of us plus possibly 2 more).

Correct, though it's 8 confirmed teams + possibly 2 more, not 7. That Twitter list isn't showing Midtjylland as a possible qualifier for 2nd round and is also for some reason not showing Fenerbahce's qualification as confirmed when it should be.

23 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

a lot that can happen between now and then and we only need one or 2 things to go our way anyway.

Yep. Would be nice if those two things are Fenerbahce winning and Midtjylland losing next weekend. Then we can stop worrying entirely about being unseeded.

Edited by tomsky_11
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cyrusr said:

Slight misunderstanding. Only 2 teams formally confirmed; wasn't fully sure on the Italy position but see that is now Juventus has got the Italy spot confirmed. Updated table FYI: 

Schedule for 2023–24 UEFA Europa Conference League
Phase Round Draw date First leg Second leg
Qualifying First qualifying round 20 June 2023 13 July 2023 20 July 2023
Second qualifying round 21 June 2023 27 July 2023 3 August 2023
Third qualifying round 24 July 2023 10 August 2023 17 August 2023
Play-offs Play-off round 7 August 2023 24 August 2023 31 August 2023
Group stage Matchday 1 1 September 2023 21 September 2023
Matchday 2 5 October 2023
Matchday 3 26 October 2023
Matchday 4 9 November 2023
Matchday 5 30 November 2023
Matchday 6 14 December 2023
Knockout phase Knockout round play-offs 18 December 2023 15 February 2024 22 February 2024
Round of 16 23 February 2024 7 March 2024 14 March 2024
Quarter-finals 15 March 2024 11 April 2024 18 April 2024
Semi-finals 2 May 2024 9 May 2024
Final 29 May 2024 at TBA

So all those that are in the 2nd round or before could be knocked out still (7 of the confirmed teams ahead of us plus possibly 2 more). The point is that there is a lot that can happen between now and then and we only need one or 2 things to go our way anyway. With Emery in charge I'm not worried whoever we face.

Isn’t Lech Poznan the team Tonev came from? Then we have Rapid Vienna, Vitoria, Bashakeser (isn’t it Traore team?), ofcourse Brugge (our first PL year) and Juve peace cup.

A lot of familiar names up there lol. 

22 hours ago, tomav84 said:

i have work colleagues there whom it would be good to meet in person, so frankfurt definitely would be a fun trip. tough game though.

Careful what you wish for. Frankfurt fans have caused trouble around Europe in recent seasons including last game in Naples

5 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Isn’t Lech Poznan the team Tonev came from? Then we have Rapid Vienna, Vitoria, Bashakeser (isn’t it Traore team?), ofcourse Brugge (our first PL year) and Juve peace cup.

A lot of familiar names up there lol. 

And Kalinić came from Gent (I think!?)

10 hours ago, tomsky_11 said:

Who said anything about guarantees?

To add another reason into the mix, what's the likely difference in revenue in the competition with we fail to make the group? Assuming we get very little for losing the playoff, and Spurs made £10M for dropping out at the group stage, we could probably do without losing out on £10M revenue we'll be planning to bank.

Our chances of qualifying would obviously be better if we were playing a side from the unseeded part of the draw rather than Juventus.

We would have to bw awfully unlucky to draw juventus straight away. Most of the other sides ive looked not much to fear. Trip to Turkey might not be nice but i still fancy us to progress.

Lets enjoy the ride what will be will be im not worrying about any team 😃

There’s still a very good chance that Juventus are banned from Europe, which would mean that Fiorentina would come in to the competition, unless they win in the final against West Ham, which would mean no Italian team.