What current Villa player do you think you'd enjoy meeting in person? Why?

Marka Ragnos

1 hour ago, Follyfoot said:

Years ago, early 90's i walked into my local at 6pm, place was empty apart from Mr Paul McGrath. Brought him a beer and he brought me one back. Hit about 4/5 pubs together afterwards before he **** off for a McDonalds. Great company and have dined out on this for many a year 

Amazing. I saw him come out of a bar in South George's St in Dublin in early 2000s and I was so starstruck I just stood there and regretfully didn't say hello

Slight tangent, but how many players have you just seen out and about?   I saw Danny Ings on Carrs Lane in town about a week before we sold him and would sometimes seen Dougie in town too, I think he lived in The Mailbox (possibly with Wesley?) when he first signed for Villa.  Going back a bit further I've seen a fair few players were I work (Moor Street/Snow Hill) off the top of my head I can recall Alan Hutton, Carlos Cuellar, Ugo, Steve Stone, Andy Townsend (after he'd retired)  Dion Dublin, Alec McLeish (a bloody nice guy, I can see why he got the job if he interviews as well as he does chit chat with passing fans) Jlloyd Samuel, Jores Okore and David Platt when he was assistant manger at Manchester City.  Said hello to all of them but never really much more than that.  

42 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

Slight tangent, but how many players have you just seen out and about?   I saw Danny Ings on Carrs Lane in town about a week before we sold him and would sometimes seen Dougie in town too, I think he lived in The Mailbox (possibly with Wesley?) when he first signed for Villa.  Going back a bit further I've seen a fair few players were I work (Moor Street/Snow Hill) off the top of my head I can recall Alan Hutton, Carlos Cuellar, Ugo, Steve Stone, Andy Townsend (after he'd retired)  Dion Dublin, Alec McLeish (a bloody nice guy, I can see why he got the job if he interviews as well as he does chit chat with passing fans) Jlloyd Samuel, Jores Okore and David Platt when he was assistant manger at Manchester City.  Said hello to all of them but never really much more than that.  

Following your tangent, I remember getting my wife to execute a perfect U turn in our hired Opel Corsa in Majorca in 1997, after I spotted Mark Bosnich walking on the other side.  Chatted for about 10 minutes, lovely bloke, guessing he must have been worried by the arrival of a mad man in the passenger seat shouting his name but fortunately my 10 month old daughter had her Villa kit on, and she loved waving to him.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Never meet your heroes. 

I know where you are coming from, but I have been lucky enough to meet a few players over the years and I'm glad that I did. These included, Jimmy Rimmer, Tony Morley, Des Bremner, Dennis Mortimer, Gordon Cowans, Nigel Spink, Jed Steer, Ian Taylor and Brian Little, I found them all to be great blokes. 

10 hours ago, The_Rev said:

Slight tangent, but how many players have you just seen out and about?

Chris Brunt in the Rosso Pomodoro that used to be part of Selfridge's food court in the Bullring and Andreas Christensen in the Vapiano in the Minto shopping centre in Mönchengladbach.

So I only see footballers in the wild when they're eating pizza.

Well, I did walk past Gordon Strachan in Southampton one time.  He was impeccably dressed and hanging off the arm of an amusingly Amazonian-scale woman.  Good times.

And I would trade meeting any of the current Villa players for a candlelit dinner with Señor Emery.  We drink, we chat, we laugh, then he takes me back to his casa and splits my full-backs.

• Haha 1

On 24/05/2023 at 10:26, The_Rev said:

Players I've seen out and about and forcibly stopped them to talk crap:

Alpay

Phil King

Guy Whittingham

Colin Calderwood

Lee Hendrie and Darren Byfield (same time) 

Brian Little

Allan Evans. 

Players I saw at the shops but didn't speak to: Mortimer, Bremner, McNaught, Geddis, maybe a couple more. 

In a pub in Sutton: Cowans and Morley. 

• Like 1