Weekends Football 6/7 May

andykeenan

Just now, Brumstopdogs said:

I'm not sure if I'd go that far but yeah it definitely has its drawbacks.

Personally I just see it as another discussion point really and can be used alongside all the other info available...

Bingo.

It's absolutely not a load of bollocks, it's just not the be all and end all.  That's goals.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Genie said:

xG is a load of bollocks. A guy I know is obsessed with it. Every conversation about football revolves around xG.

The kidz are mad for it. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Genie said:

xG is a load of bollocks. A guy I know is obsessed with it. Every conversation about football revolves around xG.

It's useful in some areas and completely ridiculous in other areas. Also just completely dismisses that large parts of football matches are just completely random e.g. how many goals in a season are scored from bad backpasses or a ridiculous volley from 30 odd yards and then a game can suddenly turn on that unforeseen moment.

With the xG metric those goals are deemed impossible and simply can't be scored but they frequently are. Players getting disposed from a short goal kick would be another, we've conceded 2-3 of those since Emery came in.

Also a penalty massively inflates xG aswell given it's a free shot from 12 yards hence that Fulham-Leicester stat.

Edited by VillaChris

xG fails to account for game states too. You can basically declare when you’re 4-0 up and lose the game on xG, but then the main point of the stat is to identify trends over prolonged periods of time rather than provide context to an individual match.  The trends thing will highlight good finishers (who will consistently over perform xG)  and whether a run of good form can/will last or not. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Genie said:

Does he work at Tifo Football as them guys love it 

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Does he work at Tifo Football as them guys love it 

No, don’t think so.

He always goes on “they lost but had a much higher xG” or “they won with a tiny xG”

The penny will drop at some point I expect. 

17 minutes ago, SuperTed said:

Just tuned into Sky and heard the voice of Martin O’Neil saying “to my eternal credit, he stayed at the club.” The bloke truly is an egotistical rocket polisher. 

What was he taking about?

Â