Weekends Football 6/7 May

andykeenan

5 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I reckon most penalties aren't playing intending to kick their opponent, but they do.  It's the same thing - just a defensive player lacking awareness and getting punished for being too slow.

The problem IMO is that it's basically incentivised a whole new category of "manufactured" fouls. Just chuck a leg in and hope you get kicked. It's the kind of thing I want stamping out of the game, not rewarded

Edit: I should add, I'm speaking generally. This one isn't quite as frustrating to me as some we've seen where the forward clearly has no interest in playing the ball (The Harry Kane special), and I can't lose another evening screenshotting frame by frame :D 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, GingerCollins29 said:

If that's the case, Watkins or whoever should be directed to just run full pelt into a defender trying to clear the ball. Easy pens

Only if the ref on field gives it which he probably wouldn’t 

Just now, Davkaus said:

The problem IMO is that it's basically incentivised a whole new category of "manufactured" fouls. Just chuck a leg in and hope you get kicked. It's the kind of thing I want stamping out of the game, not rewarded

There’s literally no downside to doing it too. 

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

Didn't follow game closely but how does 11 mins stoppage time come about? Been some ridiculous extensions since the WC

Was three minutes for the penalty check on VAR. Think 7 was initially given. I very much doubt there was twice as much stoppage as what happened second half at Molineux.

4 minutes ago, est1874 said:

I blame Fifa, they started this shit at the the World Cup adding 10 minutes to every game 

seems to happen at every game except our matches 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

That seems pretty OTT.  Johnson goes to poke the ball away and get kicked and he does.  There's nothing different (in reward/outcome) to that and players running into the box then toepoking the ball 20 yards wide of goal to make sure they get clattered by an onrushing goalkeeper - in which incidents have always been given as a penalty.  That doesn't need stamping out of the game, defenders just need to be more aware.

It's the attacking benefit which offsets the defensive play whereby a player can get themselves between an opponent and the ball then just stop, get clattered (or even just feel a slight touch...) and win a free kick.

13 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

We weren't saying that after Brighton away... 👀 

Looked identical to me

Arguably less of a penalty this time round as the defender didn't even know he was there. Digne could see Mcalister(?) Running towards him so knew the tackle was coming.

I think both are penalties by the current rules, but neither should be. A 90% chance of a goal should not be generated from those fouls

Edit: Not sure how we got away with it really, but guess it was to do with VAR trying to stop Brighton breaking the top 6 monopoly with their no money and limited global appeal for the greater good of the product

Edited by MrBlack

3 hours ago, bobzy said:

That seems pretty OTT.  Johnson goes to poke the ball away and get kicked and he does.  There's nothing different (in reward/outcome) to that and players running into the box then toepoking the ball 20 yards wide of goal to make sure they get clattered by an onrushing goalkeeper - in which incidents have always been given as a penalty.  That doesn't need stamping out of the game, defenders just need to be more aware.

It's the attacking benefit which offsets the defensive play whereby a player can get themselves between an opponent and the ball then just stop, get clattered (or even just feel a slight touch...) and win a free kick.

Players now deliberately insert themselves between an opponent looking to play the ball, with little or no intention of playing the ball themselves, to initiate contact and "win" a free kick.  Back in the day that was obstruction and would be punished with an indirect free kick, not rewarded.  It's another part of the modern game that makes me want to chuck it all in.  

7 hours ago, El Segundo said:

Players now deliberately insert themselves between an opponent looking to play the ball, with little or no intention of playing the ball themselves, to initiate contact and "win" a free kick.  Back in the day that was obstruction and would be punished with an indirect free kick, not rewarded.  It's another part of the modern game that makes me want to chuck it all in.  

Yeah it's turning into rugby when penalties are given on technicalities with opposition players basically getting in the wrong way/shape during play.

Â