Mateu Alemany

PieFacE

23 minutes ago, sidcow said:

How do you think the 25 goals a season striker arrives here?  We turn around, click our heels 3 times and wish upon a star?

Well, I was only saying what was on my mind 😆

Screenshot_20230205_111530_Facebook.jpg

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Bring back Wyness and his Alexa.

Or Tom Fox and his false narratives.

Those where the days.

Steve Stride was alright.

But what we’re building now is something else. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BOF said:

This thread is from when Alemany walked away from a toxic Valencia. He was very highly regarded by the fans at the time. There's a reason Barca hired him. They may have gone South since, but that's not on him. And he'll be within a better structure here. We're getting a good one. I'd say he's glad to be out of that asylum.

Life at Barca = do as we say and make it happen within a budget we may, or may not, have... 

Life at Villa = Do whatever you and the managerial team think is best to do this summer/January, within this solid and well-reasoned budget.

Different worlds.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Beastmix said:

Life at Barca = do as we say and make it happen within a budget we may, or may not, have... 

Life at Villa = Do whatever you and the managerial team think is best to do this summer/January, within this solid and well-reasoned budget.

Different worlds.

Zakly.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

He's an brummy alcoholic. Should settle well.

I doubt he will go drinking in town though!

...Mate!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Because Barcelona is one of the worst run teams in world football and have been financial doping for ages. They have hardly been a success since he got there as well

They are literally about to win the **** League!! 

He came in during the biggest crisis in the clubs history and managed to make signings that have helped them nearly walk the League. 

There's a reason Barca fans rate what he's done. They were staring down the abyss and now they're a more competitive side than when he came in

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Beastmix said:

Different worlds.

Valencia came 12th, 12th, he joined made signings and they ended 4th and 4th, he walked away and then ended 9th and have been basket case since. 

• Like 1

Excited, big name, the club keeps progressing and also indication the club are going to push to get higher and really challenge the Top 4 over the coming seasons.

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

Valencia came 12th, 12th, he joined made signings and they ended 4th and 4th, he walked away and then ended 9th and have been basket case since. 

As a Valencia fan since I visited as a kid, I've lived through the Alemany (and, earlier still, the Unai) era. Alemany closed some solid deals, considering the financial issues we've had (on account of the new stadium construction troubles. A stadium which has just sat there, half built, for just shy of 15 years now.)

The club is a joke at the moment. He did great with the resources he was given though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's always a murky area 'Director of Football' because there are so many different types, who all fill different roles and responsibilities. It makes it very difficult to judge their impact or indeed to impart blame on them.

For every well-researched and carefully considered signing made, there's another panic buy requested by a manager under pressure, or a crazy owner demanding a superstar name for an ego boost.

Even then the role of 'Director of Football' isn't just about transfers and transfer strategy, it can cover a multitude of things from the academy and women's teams, transport to games, sports science, appointing managers... literally, anything to do with footballing matters.

I guess if the football club as a whole is constantly progressing, then you have to say some of that must be down to the job the 'Director of Football' is doing. Especially on the sporting side of things.

By all accounts, Alemany has a good reputation, I would imagine Emery has crossed paths with him before, and seemingly was impressed enough to want to work with him.

I wouldn't read too much either way into his time at Barcelona, that club is all over the place, although I can imagine he was getting pressure from the manager, presidents, sponsors, and who knows who else to sign a particular player, and if he's managed to put together a functioning squad in that environment then he's certainly no fool.

If you want to be a big club, then it can only help to have somebody who has the experience of running big clubs, this guy certainly seems to have that, so hopefully he can come in and help us continue in an upwards direction.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, markc said:

bit of an in depth look at Alemany, if you've got a spare 35minutes

I will have later. Cheers :thumb:

• Like 1

Â