Pre-Match Thread Cup Final 5 of 10

TheAuthority

could do with some fresh legs returning for this one if possible. Won't be easy, sort of glad they've picked up a couple of wins lately, ended their bad run, makes me feel more likely they'll be positive in their football and give us space to play against. 

1 hour ago, Rodders said:

could do with some fresh legs returning for this one if possible. Won't be easy, sort of glad they've picked up a couple of wins lately, ended their bad run, makes me feel more likely they'll be positive in their football and give us space to play against. 

Even if Cash, Kamara and Coutinho return to the match day squad, I can’t see any of them starting the game. However, we could give Chambers a start ahead of Young? Maybe McGinn back into the middle in place of Dendoncker and start Traore? That’s about all we can do at present I reckon.

3 hours ago, TheMelvillan said:

Surely this lot are on the beach by now?!

2-0 villa win. Ollie and Ramsey

They certainly were after losing the cup tie to Man. United but have got going again recently. That said it's just wins v Everton and Leeds and we're miles better than both of them.

I actually think it will be a comfortable win if we get an early goal, much more complicated if they score first so up to us to be on the frontfoot quickly which we're good at in home games these days.

They certainly were after losing the cup tie to Man. United but have got going again recently. That said it's just wins v Everton and Leeds and we're miles better than both of them.

I actually think it will be a comfortable win if we get an early goal, much more complicated if they score first so up to us to be on the frontfoot quickly which we're good at in home games these days.

I certainly wouldn't be saying that, if they beat us and win their game in hand, they'd likely be ahead of us on goal difference.

21 hours ago, SecretVillaScout said:

Bournemouth and Nottingham was.

Nope, they wasn't....if you watched the games.....and both teams took points off us away from home.

just because we won 3-0 and 2-0 respectively doesn't make it routine.

Unai, says stay Humble......There are no routine games in the Premier League, every team who is "at it" can get something.

Look at Arsenal V Southampton....top v bottom.....if we are not ready for it, and they are, anything can happen.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Emi should be back in. But Leon, Cash, Kamara, Coutinho are all still out and I don't think they will make next weekend's match either.

Willian and Robinson on their left is a very dangerous combo. Both really good carriers of the ball. Less afraid of Wilson and Tete on their right and unconcerned about Reid. But Palhinha has been their player that dictates the game. We need Luiz to do to Palhinha what he did to Guimares. Mark him out of the game and Fulham end up passing it around the back and then try to progress through their wing overloads. If we can defend that, then there's room on the counter against them. They are not a team that particularly sits back and will want to have possession too. 

In possession, the temptation for Villa fans will be to start Traore and move McGinn in field. While possible, Robinson is the fullback that gets forward and Tete is the one that stays back. I think Unai will go more defensive with McGinn tracking Robinson but look to leave Buendia in the space behind Robinson. If we can get the recovery, Buendia can look for Watkins running in behind that space. Fulham do not have a very aggressive press, but Robinson - while bustling getting forward - has been suspect defensively and in transition. Willian applies himself well (see red card handball) but he's a 34 year old winger and will not be pressing all game.  If we can bait them into pressing and trying to dispossess McGinn at the halfway line - then I think there's space down their left hand side.

I think there will be goals on this one but would not underestimate the Willian/Robinson combo on their left especially with Young playing 2 games in 3 days. While Chambers should sub in, this would be a horrible match up for him. Need McGinn/Buendia/Watkins to combine well coming from the right and we can hopefully find Moreno trailing late.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

Emi should be back in. But Leon, Cash, Kamara, Coutinho are all still out and I don't think they will make next weekend's match either.

Willian and Robinson on their left is a very dangerous combo. Both really good carriers of the ball. Less afraid of Wilson and Tete on their right and unconcerned about Reid. But Palhinha has been their player that dictates the game. We need Luiz to do to Palhinha what he did to Guimares. Mark him out of the game and Fulham end up passing it around the back and then try to progress through their wing overloads. If we can defend that, then there's room on the counter against them. They are not a team that particularly sits back and will want to have possession too. 

In possession, the temptation for Villa fans will be to start Traore and move McGinn in field. While possible, Robinson is the fullback that gets forward and Tete is the one that stays back. I think Unai will go more defensive with McGinn tracking Robinson but look to leave Buendia in the space behind Robinson. If we can get the recovery, Buendia can look for Watkins running in behind that space. Fulham do not have a very aggressive press, but Robinson - while bustling getting forward - has been suspect defensively and in transition. Willian applies himself well (see red card handball) but he's a 34 year old winger and will not be pressing all game.  If we can bait them into pressing and trying to dispossess McGinn at the halfway line - then I think there's space down their left hand side.

I think there will be goals on this one but would not underestimate the Willian/Robinson combo on their left especially with Young playing 2 games in 3 days. While Chambers should sub in, this would be a horrible match up for him. Need McGinn/Buendia/Watkins to combine well coming from the right and we can hopefully find Moreno trailing late.

A 34 year old Willian versus 37 year old Ashley Young 🤣

What a six months it’s been since that horrible evening down at Craven Cottage. I don’t think anyone could have predicted such a turnaround in fortunes for us since.

Massive, massive game under the lights. I’d be tempted to bring Chambers in for this and get Young fresh for Old Trafford on Sunday. McGinn stays on the right and Dendoncker stays in the middle.

Martinez

Chambers       Konsa           Mings       Moreno

Dendoncker         Luiz

McGinn                       Ramsey

Buendia       
                                 Watkins

Subs:  Olsen, Sinisalo, Digne, Carlos, Young, Revan, Patterson, Traore, Duran 

2-0 victory under the lights and keep that European place alive.  UTV

Edited by ferguson1
  • Like 1