Pre-Match Thread Cup Final 5 of 10

TheAuthority

1 minute ago, romavillan said:

It's about time we absolutely stuffed someone.

Villa Park owes me one as the last time I was there was the shortest football I have ever seen Villa play live, the WBA loss at home under that word removed Sherwood.

What is "shortest football"?

19 hours ago, SecretVillaScout said:

This should be a routine home win

------------Watkins---Buendia------------

Ramsey----Luiz-------Mcginn------Traore

Moreno- Mings- Konsa- Chambers 

-----------Anyone not named Olsen----------

There is no Routine wins.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

That was the next league game after the infamous Leicester 3-2 away defeat. I walked away from VP that day knowing we would get relegated and that was middle of September 2015.

I think walking up to VP on Tuesday it's important to remember that desperate feeling and look forward to playing to win to go 5th in the league with just a month of the season left. That felt like light years away even in early 2020 when we were well in the bottom 3.

That game was **** horrendous, Albion were a very poor side but they looked like they were all wearing the same shirts for a reason. We on the other hand were 11 randoms playing like the football equivalent of a butcher's bin. I'd never been at VP wondering if we might manage to actually pass it more than once before giving it away. Just pure filth.

10 minutes ago, SecretVillaScout said:

Yes. Dreadful game. Typical Routine Home win.

A Jonjo Shelvey assist when we were struggling to break them down and a 95th minute Ollie Watkins goal. "Typical routine home win". Riiiiiiight.

44 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

This was always a tough match that I felt we would draw but if Martinez is out then I think this will be one game too far.

1-2

We're unbeaten in 9 having beaten Chelsea and Newcastle along the way and you think we'll lose at home to Fulham without their top scorer Mitrovic?

Olsen in goal would make it a more nerve-racking game, but Martinez went off with illness rather than injury so I think most are hopeful he returns for this game.

We really should be winning this either way, Fulham aren't a bad team at all but we don't deserve European football if we can't win this one. 

7 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

We're unbeaten in 9 having beaten Chelsea and Newcastle along the way and you think we'll lose at home to Fulham without their top scorer Mitrovic?

I think with the injuries we have and the run we have been on makes this a very tricky game.

Olsen is by far the worst goalkeeper in the Premier League and the defence look immediately worse and more nervy the moment he is behind them.

We were dreadful for most of the game at Brentford and I just feel we are due a loss given everything.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

Edited by GlobalVillan

13 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

I think with the injuries we have and the run we have been on makes this a very tricky game.

Olsen is by far the worst goalkeeper in the Premier League and the defence look immediately worse and more nervy the moment he is behind them.

We were dreadful for most of the game at Brentford and I just feel we are due a loss given everything.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

Yeah our injuries aren't great and we could really do with kamara, Cash, Coutinho and Bailey coming back ASAP - however, Emery seemed hopeful that Martinez would be back for Fulham and I think if he is we should win the game as I think we're the better team. Bookies aren't always right but they have made us comfortable favourites for a reason. 

We didn't play well at Brentford but I think that was an off day and they are very good at home having only lost there twice so it was a very difficult game. Not saying that Fulham is easy because it isn't but I'd be very disappointed if we dropped points here as for me that would be game over as far as Europe is concerned unless we pulled off a couple of shock wins against the likes of Man U and Liverpool. 

1 hour ago, GlobalVillan said:

Hopefully I'm wrong.

Hopefully Emi rested up well today. If he's in training tomorrow he's starting.

As I said yesterday you'd never have guessed he was feeling under the weather watching him in the first half, he was sharp and alert to everything so does show the vast difference to Olsen.

On 22/04/2023 at 19:58, OutByEaster? said:

At night, at Villa Park, unbeaten in umpteen - this should be a really good atmosphere - hopefully we can use that to push them over the line.

I have a weird feeling we're in a battle with Tottenham for 7th.

Yep that's exactly it. If we can somehow finish above Spurs then we can get that 7th place. I just think, as I have all along, that we will miss out given the fixtures we have to play.

This is meant to be our easiest game left on paper, yet I think it will prove to be very difficult. They are a very good side.