FAB Meeting 20/04/2023

OutByEaster?

The headline there is the 15% rise in season ticket prices across the board, the removal of a free cup ticket from the season ticket offer and the change in the pricing for those people that sit in the three central blocks of the Upper North Stand.

Whilst everything is more expensive these days, I don't like the argument that we are aligning with our competitors on pricing. 

We all approve of the owners and pretty much everything else about our club but pricing is the one thing that will piss people off. 

I class going to matches as a luxury at the moment, and luxuries are limited.

I guess the difficulty is that it's not like it was a decade ago where you could make a decision to rock up on the day if you felt like it. You can't buy a season ticket at the moment - there's a waiting list that's most likely six or seven years long, and we're a season away from getting to the point where non-season ticket holder will need to be in a members ballot to even get a match ticket.

Add to that, that we're working against a set of rules which absolutely demands that every club wrings every penny they can out of every supporter. The Premier League, the FA, UEFA, FIFA and Aston Villa football club aren't interested in changing that - and they haven't been since 1992 - it's a maxim of maximisation - the only way that things will change in that regard is through outside bodies - and by outside bodies, I mean government. I wouldn't hold your breath.

As it is, we go to the seventh highest priced, which is about where we should be, but the journey has been meteoric, and the price rises feel that way. 

• Thanks 1

I understand them but dont understand why they are using the " other clubs do it " fob off. 

They will need to be careful. Us brummies arent as mad as other areas of the country in that it needs to be value for money . All my disposable cash has gone due to inflation and rising costs of everything. 

1 minute ago, StewieGriffin said:

Easy for me to say as a non-STH who struggles to go very often, but if we want to compete with the big 6 without Champions League money/prestige for bigger sponsors, then the club has to get it's extra revenue from somewhere...

Whilst it's not a bad argument I don't buy it anymore. I'm fed up of being ripped off. 

12 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

Easy for me to say as a non-STH who struggles to go very often, but if we want to compete with the big 6 without Champions League money/prestige for bigger sponsors, then the club has to get it's extra revenue from somewhere...

I'm assuming a 15% increase isn't going to generate much more than about £3M in extra revenue. Doesn't feel like that's gonna make a massive difference to the club. Definitely will to a lot of fans though.

On the changes to the Upper Holte End - you can see the detail on it in the planning application documents on page 209 of the ground development thread here:

And having seen those plans and the fly throughs we were shown last night, I've got to say it looks like a really nice facility - bars, food, seating areas, a modern pub feel, like one of those big modern city centre places with the long wood tables, seating around the sides, lounge areas, a view onto the pitch and the outside balcony - it's going to be a very nice place to be if you want to see a game.

The "but" to that sentence though comes in that it will be a ticketed venue, they call it GA+ at the moment - you'll need to buy in; either as a bolt-on addition to your season ticket, or as a bolt-on to a match ticket in the Upper Holte, so there will be a cost associated.

If that cost were for example, set at £10 a game (a complete guess by me) then with the increase to the current season ticket price and that extra upgrade, an upper Holte End Season ticket holder looking to GA+ their season ticket and get access for the entire season might be looking at the thick end of an extra three hundred pounds on top of this years season ticket price.

The clubs pricing will of course be driven by demand, and what I think is good news is that you will need an Upper Holte End ticket to get in - you don't buy into the Holte by being GA+, you need to start by being in the Upper Holte - so that's 6,000 people, for a new area with a capacity of around 1,000. It means no access from the Lower Holte End to either the lounge or the balcony, but it will mean that for a chunk of people, the Upper Holte End experience will be much improved - and no one gets moved out of their seat to make room for Ga+ folks.

I'd guess, some of those 1,000 spots will be available as GA+ Upper Holte season tickets, some of those spots will be available for existing regular season ticket holders as one off match-by-match upgrades, then I guess they'd be on sale to members who bought a ticket in the Upper Holte, then to friends of season ticket holders in the Upper Holte, then to general sale - that regular ticket hierarchy.

I'm not sure, but I have a feeling an awful lot of the Upper Holte is currently season ticket holders, so it might end up being quite difficult if you fancy inviting a friend who isn't a season ticket holder or member to the Upper Holte lounge for a one off game - and certainly for the first couple of games next season, I think those tickets will be gold dust.

It does also beg the question on the experience for the other 5,000 Upper Holte Enders, the ones with no access to that facility, and no more middle level of the Upper Holte in which to congregate - they'll be restricted to the upper, Upper Holte concourse only and while the club are working to try to bring some of the cleverer stuff from the Lower Holte kiosks up there to help balance that off a bit - for me, it feels like it'll have some impact - one sixth of the people removed and one half of the space - but I don't sit in the Upper Holte and it could just be that my gut feeling is completely wrong.

Having said all that, it really does look like a terrific facility and if I were sat in that part of the ground, I'd want to get into there as often as I could afford - it'll be brilliant on matchdays.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

The greed of the Premier League is as disgusting as it is relentless, **** the lot of them.

It's a disgrace. But its the same in all other sports. Irish rugby tickets are eye wateringly expensive, 3 figures for the "cheapest" ticket. 

All i'll say is that the club better keep delivering on the pitch so that these numbers they are demanding are sustainable, a couple of bad seasons on the pitch and a lot of this stuff will go unused. Are these Fan advisory bodies representative of the fan base as a whole, or is it a very self selecting group, sort of like magistrates?

Because some of these things look like great additions, but it would be good to have some elements in the body who dont just agree with everything the club want to do or who dont push back on things like price rises or get them to consider things from a more laymans point of view, maybe someone with less cash in their pocket or who is seeing the facilities and space they have access to eroded.

It would be nice for the club maybe to petition more of us season ticket holders, in all areas of the ground, to see what features we would like, what can be done better, what is fine, what needs changing etc. I wouldnt want these meetings to just be a series of talking shops or just approving of everything that the club presents to them. Would be great to hear more about how the engagment process is with the club as i dont know much about them but seemingly a lot of the changes seem to be taking from us in some way or form, be it monetary or space wise etc.

58 minutes ago, sidcow said:

It's tough but you're hardly being ripped off when there are 6 other teams charging more and thousands queuing up to pay for what you've got. 

It's not great but this is a massively in demand sport. Supply and demand will always set the price. 

Don't buy that argument anymore, there's lots of companies taking advantage of folk at the mo and I have the choice to avoid this rogering. I miss going to every game but I'm in no rush to get back at that expense. We can agree to disagree this time. 

Â