2023 Grand National

bielesibub

21 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Any prizes for last place? Martello Sky, useless.

I had Molly Ollys Wishes and West to the Bridge. I'm too scared to put these down after my last attempts here with Cheltenham. 

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

Bet365's?

Yeah, I'm just assuming because you're in Eastern Europe bet365 went a bit jippy for you. Mine did last week. Couldn't put a bet on and I'd missed a message saying you need to download the authentication app. Works fine now. 

I could be talking about something completely different though...

2 hours ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

Yeah, I'm just assuming because you're in Eastern Europe bet365 went a bit jippy for you. Mine did last week. Couldn't put a bet on and I'd missed a message saying you need to download the authentication app. Works fine now. 

I could be talking about something completely different though...

Well it's banned here and VPNs doesn't seem to bypass it unlike SkyBet and Betfair that I can get on easily, so there's just no point bothering unless they had the amazing offer on.

Just now, TheAuthority said:

What are they protesting?

The Grand National being a cruel sport because horses die

There is conveniently a dog food factory just round the corner that probably makes the food they feed the mutt they walk attached to a piece of string

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

why don't they protest this hard at fishing competitions? for me that's way more cruel.

Who gives a **** about fishing competitions?

They happen, and yeah they're cruel, but who knows when one is on? Who'd notice if there was a protest? I'd generally say the same about horse racing; there's a reason they picked the the nation's favourite horse-maiming event.

7 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Who gives a **** about fishing competitions?

They happen, and yeah they're cruel, but who knows when one is on? Who'd notice if there was a protest? I'd generally say the same about horse racing; there's a reason they picked the the nation's favourite horse-maiming event.

i get that. i was just making the point that there are far more cruel animal related sports than horse racing

what was their end game? having horse racing banned? not in a million years. the king himself owns racehorses ffs. pick your battles guys.

Just now, tomav84 said:

i get that. i was just making the point that there are far more cruel animal related sports than horse racing

what was their end game? having horse racing banned? not in a million years. the king himself owns racehorses ffs. pick your battles guys.

Probably to get the public to consider that the inevitable consequence of their minor adrenaline rush for a fun bit of gambling is the likely death of at least one of the competitors. I'd wager the vast majority of the grand national viewers don't give much of a toss about horse racing in general and don't give it a moment's thought. If nothing else it's made national headlines and based on that is one of the most successful protests against animal cruelty I can recall in recent years.

Will it actually change anyone's minds? Probably not, but I'm a jaded ****. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, tomav84 said:

3 horses died this weekend due to taking part. Think it's fairly straightforward why some people might object to that when considering what they died for is just light entertainment and gambling. 

As others said the higher profile of the even is probably why it gets more attention from protesters. However I suspect it's more that they relate more to horses than to fish, as horses are generally considered more beautiful and intelligent than fish so people relate to it more and this is a major problem in regards to conservation and animal welfare. Similarly to why people object to greyhound racing.

40 or 50 years ago the idea of having fox hunting banned due to protesting was probably ridiculous to most people. It's through events like this that get people thinking and that slowly filters through to public perception. The very fact that people are talking about the protest on here shows that it's working. 

11 hours ago, tomav84 said:

why don't they protest this hard at fishing competitions? for me that's way more cruel.

Ah, that's because fish don't have a soul, it's a common misconception. Horses 100% defo do.