2023 Grand National

bielesibub

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Im merely saying that treating something well some of the time and exploiting them the rest of the time is not a fair trade. 

I must take this up with the wife, the next time she lets me out.

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Depends what counts as exploitation and necessity, which is a different argument.

So what does turning a dog into drug addict count as?

Or how about Police Horses made to run at protesters to disperse them?

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, bickster said:

So what does turning a dog into drug addict count as?

Or how about Police Horses made to run at protesters to disperse them?

Like I said, it’s a different argument that I’m not making

8 hours ago, bielesibub said:

wow, thanks for the views. Really didn't anticipate the debate, I used to hate horses and horse racing. I lived with a girl from Gerrards Cross who was a real horse lover,  at the time I tried to like them but never could. Now, 25 odd years later, I am seeing them in a different light. They've become a very welcome distraction from the every day crappiness of my illness. I was a pretty handy IT boffin before I had to retire and have spent many of my spare hours using those IT skills in gathering and collating horse racing stats and then trying to understand what makes a winner and what doesn't. It's almost like a game of whack-a-mole, every time you think you've got something, the next day it's gone.  I did get 5 winners, 2 places, 1 horse let me down today though. Tomorrow will be another day. From a selfish point of view I want the horses to keep running otherwise I'm not sure what I would do with my time.

I love it, I’ve even come up with my own system again(I’ve tried various) and it’s good fun. It’s all maths and stats. I much prefer jump racing over the flats to be honest. 

3 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I love it, I’ve even come up with my own system again(I’ve tried various) and it’s good fun. It’s all maths and stats. I much prefer jump racing over the flats to be honest. 

Without a computer the Maths bit would have stopped me from coming up with anything.  I've not had more than a couple of years of using different systems, the latest and greatest uses a machine learning algorithm, so I kind of need to worry even less about the Maths - unless I really want to delve into its inner workings. Do you find jump racing less predictable?

15 minutes ago, bielesibub said:

Without a computer the Maths bit would have stopped me from coming up with anything.  I've not had more than a couple of years of using different systems, the latest and greatest uses a machine learning algorithm, so I kind of need to worry even less about the Maths - unless I really want to delve into its inner workings. Do you find jump racing less predictable?

i cannot fathom how people used to (and still do) study form with just a pencil and a copy of the racing post.

my system sounds less complex than yours, but ultimately it's case of chucking a load of figures into a spreadsheet with some calculations and picking horses that are near the top of all categories

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I much prefer jump racing over the flats to be honest. 

I'm very much with you on this. 

Flat racing, especially all weather tracks, are full of gangsters.

Pat Cosgrave recently given a 28 day ban. Not the first time he's thrown a race either.

Odds-on favourite too.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

Thread closed as it’s no longer about the 2023 Grand National. Anyone wanting to discuss the ethics of horse racing or animal treatment please feel free to start a thread on that.