Pre-Match Thread Cup Final 3 of 10

TheAuthority

10 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Yeah, that's true.  I don't think Newcastle's good defence is actually based on their defence either.

Now who's trolling? 

17 hours ago, SecretVillaScout said:

Emery won all 3 games he's managed against Eddie Howe
Eddie Howe won his last 5 games he's managed against Aston Villa

Unstoppable force vs unmovable rock type of situation.

• Like 3

Lets make it difficult and hostile for them like they did at sty james.

Lucky fir them we have mounting injuries so we are not at our strongest like they are.

Guimares is playing wigh a ankle injury i think we need to be going in hard on him and dont give him a chance.

Im hoping ollie feels he has something to prove after what happened there when he missed a golden opportunity to put us in front

45 minutes ago, TheFish said:

You misunderstood, it isn't Joelinton over Kamara, it's Luiz over Kamara, but like I said, that's a coin flip. It's Bruno over everyone, Joelinton + 1 of Luiz or Kamara.

Conceding 1 from open play in 7 doesn't necessarily mean that's down to your CB. More likely it's down to Emery's excellent coaching, and pragmatic system. I've only watched Mings on tv, or when we faced you under Gerrard or other previous managers, so yeah I may be being harsh. Too often though, I've seen him be poor positionally, or rash in the tackle or cocking up e.g. for Saka's when you faced Arsenal this season. I don't rate him that much at all. 

You've purposefully done that, it isn't between Kamara and Luiz because they're different players, you've just chosen Joelinton but as good as he's been this season it's a mistake because Kamara is too good to leave out of a combined 11. 

If we're being totally honest, and I'm sure you'd agree, both teams are of a similar level talent wise. You have some very good players in Botman, Guimaeres, Isak and Trippier. Likewise we have very good players in Martinez, Kamara, Luiz and Moreno. I think all those players would get in a combined team even though Pope and Mings are unfortunate to miss out.

Then the other positions are more debatable - Watkins v Wilson, Schar v Konsa and McGinn/Buendia/Ramsey v Joelinton/Almiron. Based on current form it's obviously Watkins over Wilson and I think he has more to his game than Wilson. The other positions more debatable and bias likely to sway the thinking.

I find these things not very useful though because it's not about the best 11 on paper (although that helps), it's about moulding a team together and also how good the manager is tactically. Howe's done an incredible job as has Emery. We definitely have some work to do in the summer to improve our team in certain areas, as do you. If Kamara cannot make the game tomorrow then that will give you an advantage for sure, we really need him back in the team.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Lucky fir them we have mounting injuries so we are not at our strongest like they are.

Guimares is playing wigh a ankle injury i think we need to be going in hard on him and dont give him a chance.

Im hoping ollie feels he has something to prove after what happened there when he missed a golden opportunity to put us in front

Our home support at times ( definitely for the 12.30 kick offs , has been far too tepid ) very reactive, the fans need to see something to make noise. It will need to be very hostile and noisy tomorrow. Any gain we can get over them at all we need to take it. 

32 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Luiz will certainly put in a nice little reducer early on just to test his ankle out, Bruno Guimaraes pretty much took his place in the national team from 2021 so that will be an excellent battle to watch throughout.

25 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

This has the feel of that huge game we had against them in in 2003 when we were both battling for fourth.  Ended in a damp squib of a 0-0.

Didn't they have someone sent off after 20 minutes and we couldn't break them down? That was a very fun end to the season and the main high under O'Leary.

Really hard to call this one. I don’t think we’ve been great last couple of games but I don’t think we’ve had to be either. The players will have to really raise it tomorrow against a team that has only lost 2 away from home all season.

I’d take a point.

44 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Our home support at times ( definitely for the 12.30 kick offs , has been far too tepid ) very reactive, the fans need to see something to make noise. It will need to be very hostile and noisy tomorrow. Any gain we can get over them at all we need to take it. 

Better service at half time for beer would help the atmosphere second half. 

35 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

You've purposefully done that, it isn't between Kamara and Luiz because they're different players, you've just chosen Joelinton but as good as he's been this season it's a mistake because Kamara is too good to leave out of a combined 11. 

If we're being totally honest, and I'm sure you'd agree, both teams are of a similar level talent wise. You have some very good players in Botman, Guimaeres, Isak and Trippier. Likewise we have very good players in Martinez, Kamara, Luiz and Moreno. I think all those players would get in a combined team even though Pope and Mings are unfortunate to miss out.

Then the other positions are more debatable - Watkins v Wilson, Schar v Konsa and McGinn/Buendia/Ramsey v Joelinton/Almiron. Based on current form it's obviously Watkins over Wilson and I think he has more to his game than Wilson. The other positions more debatable and bias likely to sway the thinking.

I find these things not very useful though because it's not about the best 11 on paper (although that helps), it's about moulding a team together and also how good the manager is tactically. Howe's done an incredible job as has Emery. We definitely have some work to do in the summer to improve our team in certain areas, as do you. If Kamara cannot make the game tomorrow then that will give you an advantage for sure, we really need him back in the team.

Dunno how much of Joelinton you've seen, but I'm telling you, the kid is a monster. I'd post fbref's useful scouting reports, but I'm not able to c&p images here. He's outstanding. 

Last paragraph is spot on though, Howe and Emery have built sides to compete with the players that they have and direct combinations won't really work. e.g. Burn is great for the way we play because he moves across to become a CB when we attack. Would Moreno work as well in that set up? Probably not, no, but he's definitely a better LB.

Big game tomorrow, for both clubs.

Now that we are both on the up again, hopefully the 2 sets of supporters can move on from the petty jealousy/rivalry of the past 10 years. Given the lack of trophies over the last 25 years, it's been embarrassing  for all involved. Like 2 old bald blokes arguing over a comb!😂

We should both be looking to work with others in The 14 to break up the cartel once and for all!

With Bailey out,  for me the decision is how do we play SJM further forward. Dendonker is the obvious choice, if Kamara is not available. Then perm 2 from 3 out of Buendia, Ramsey & Traore.

A draw would not be disastrous for either team but a Villa win would be priceless.
Onwards & upwards.

UTV

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Johnnyp said:

Yeah there's no chance of a good atmosphere tomorrow. The 12:30 kick off, whilst a ball ache for the travelling fans, will definitely play into Newcastle's hands with everyone just out of bed and hardly any pre match drinking.

This is the biggest challenge for a while, more so than Chelsea. Emery will have been working hard to get us ready for this, hopefully the players can execute the plan. If we're going to win then I'd expect it to be us scoring early and then picking them off on the break. They don't get beat very often though and they don't concede much.