Match Thread: Villa v Bournemouth

limpid

Just now, TomC said:

I can distinguish between those photos quite clearly. In the Man City example, the defender's arm is sticking out far out to the side of his body, and that's not a natural position given that he's at the top of a jump. In our match, the defender's arm is not extended, but is across his body, plus (as is obvious in video) he's trying to pull it closer, plus he's in the middle of running, and you can't run without swinging your arms somewhat.

so he "naturally" swung both arms in front of himself at the same time?  He needs a runnning coach.  His right hand did not clearly pull back until after the ball hit it.  I hear your thinking, I just completely disagree with it.  If the referee had called it, would the VAR have overuled the call?  

4 minutes ago, TomC said:

I can distinguish between those photos quite clearly. In the Man City example, the defender's arm is sticking out far out to the side of his body, and that's not a natural position given that he's at the top of a jump. In our match, the defender's arm is not extended, but is across his body, plus (as is obvious in video) he's trying to pull it closer, plus he's in the middle of running, and you can't run without swinging your arms somewhat.

What? It’s pretty clear he puts his arms out first before trying to pull them close to his body.

The only possibly excuse for that decision is that the ref actually saw it hit his hands and deemed it not handball therefore not clear and obvious error for VAR to overrule. Which makes it even worse really.

Edited by Ponky

1 minute ago, srsmithusa said:

so he "naturally" swung both arms in front of himself at the same time?  He needs a runnning coach.  His right hand did not clearly pull back until after the ball hit it.  I hear your thinking, I just completely disagree with it.  If the referee had called it, would the VAR have overuled the call?  

That's a pretty good argument, I have to agree...

1 minute ago, Ponky said:

The only possibly excuse for that decision is that the ref actually saw it hit his hands and deemed it not handball therefore not clear and obvious error for VAR to overrule. Which makes it even worse really.

Here in lies the problem....

• Like 1

I can see why the pen wasn’t given, I don’t think it was a deliberate action towards the ball.

My main disclaimer is I think loads of pens get given for handball that shouldn’t be (including a few against us)

I possibly disagree with about 50% of handball penalties that I’ve seen in recent seasons.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AshVilla said:

2 games in a row now where we have been completely robbed of decisions.

No wonder we can't get out of 11th place.

No we’re  11th because we dropped too many points earlier in the season

• Like 2