Italy v England/England v Ukraine

andykeenan

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

They won the Euros less than 2 years ago. Italy in Italy is the hardest fixture in the group. It's a good result, sorry. 

The last competitive home game{I consider Nations League friendlies} was a defeat to North Macedonia and they started a striker from Tigre up front playing his first ever game in Europe. They had players from minnows like Lecce, Monza, Leeds and 2 West Ham players in the squad today

This is a really average Italian squad

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

The last competitive home game{I consider Nations League friendlies} was a defeat to North Macedonia and they started a striker from Tigre up front playing his first ever game in Europe. They had players from minnows like Lecce, Monza, Leeds and 2 West Ham players in the squad today

This is a really average Italian squad

partridge-i-dont-know.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

They won the Euros less than 2 years ago. Italy in Italy is the hardest fixture in the group. It's a good result, sorry. 

I agree with you that it's a good result. (And till just now I didn't know about that no win in Italy for 61 years).  : >  And our first half performance was good too. But that second half was frustrating and disappointing, not a single attempt from us, we invited loads of pressure on ourselves and we almost threw away a two goal lead. :s

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, robby b said:

I agree with you that it's a good result. (And till just now I didn't know about that no win in Italy for 61 years).  : >  And our first half performance was good too. But that second half was frustrating and disappointing, not a single attempt from us, we invited loads of pressure on ourselves and we almost threw away a two goal lead. :s

Fair play, that's a balanced opinion that's worth engaging with. And I don't disagree with anything you say, but I think one thing I would say is we were always likely to come under sustained pressure at some point on the night, it's just good that we had a two-goal cushion (and it should really have been three) by the time that happened. It would have been much nicer if the end was less stressful but at the end of the day it's the final score that matters most. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Fair play, that's a balanced opinion that's worth engaging with. And I don't disagree with anything you say, but I think one thing I would say is we were always likely to come under sustained pressure at some point on the night, it's just good that we had a two-goal cushion (and it should really have been three) by the time that happened. It would have been much nicer if the end was less stressful but at the end of the day it's the final score that matters most. 

Yes, should have been 3, Jack's a lucky boy now as he's got away with not costing us the 3 points.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Southgate and terrorist ball in the second half instead of continuing to dominant a hugely inferior side.

Guys an absolute gimp. Turgid.

I didn’t watch the game as I was coaching, I’m trying to gauge how it went by the comments this genuinely made me lol

Thought Kane was fantastic late in the game where we needed to hold on to the ball and everyone else was panicking.

No idea why Southgate thought it was wise to leave so many players on the field who looked tired and / or on yellows, when he had ready made replacements for all of them on the bench.

After seeing how Emery uses subs, it's so frustrating watching Southgate behave as if he only has 3 subs and might have to worry about extra time and pens.

Still that is definitely a good result, however you spin it. Italy away in a competitive fixture. So what if they didn't qualify for the WC.

• Like 1

Italy are very mediocre but that's their first home loss in euros qualifying since 1999 or something daft.

England had a poor first 10 minutes but were then dominant after. Hard to believe Bellingham isn't 20 until June, some great runs.

• Like 2

First half England absolutely bossed it and really could have been game over with Grealish missing that chance.

Bellingham, Rice and Kane were exceptional in the first-half.

Kane absolutely brilliant throughout the whole game, led by example.

I don't accept that Italy are mediocre especially on home turf.

• Like 2

I didn’t even know we were playing. Can’t stand Southgateball, can’t stand England fans. Hard to ever get excited now. Did we boo the Italian national anthem and do some other embarrassing shit then turn in a defensive and dull performance against what is actually a pretty old and shite side?

• Like 2

Interesting thing re Kane's scoring record is he often gets criticised for bagging them against minnows.

But Bobby Charlton got 16 of his England goals against Wales/Scotland/Northern Ireland in the Home Championships, and 5 against Luxembourg. Gary Lineker got 25 of his 48 goals in friendlies!

Guess it's just always been the case that you're going to get most of your goals in international football against the weaker sides who can be turned over at a canter.

Edited by KentVillan
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Spoony said:

I didn’t even know we were playing. Can’t stand Southgateball, can’t stand England fans. Hard to ever get excited now. Did we boo the Italian national anthem and do some other embarrassing shit then turn in a defensive and dull performance against what is actually a pretty old and shite side?

Some idiot brought a flag to Naples with Diegos in a box

He is probably dead now

6 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Interesting thing re Kane's scoring record is he often gets criticised for bagging them against minnows.

But Bobby Charlton got 16 of his England goals against Wales/Scotland/Northern Ireland in the Home Championships, and 5 against Luxembourg. Gary Lineker got 25 of his 48 goals in friendlies!

Guess it's just always been the case that you're going to get most of your goals in international football against the weaker sides who can be turned over at a canter.

Kane has 16 international penalties as well

Â