Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

9 minutes ago, GeordieVillan said:

I don’t think he’s finished yet, he just needs a fresh start IMO. He plays as a left sided centre back so would fit as short term cover for Mings at least. He’s also a leader, even if he’s gone off the boil (being kind).

I’m not suggesting he play ahead of Torres, or that we build the team around him, but I also don’t think we can really rely on Konsa and 2 guys with no premier league experience to get us through this season.

Maguire would have been solid buy for West Ham if they could have got it over the line, and I think he would be the same for us under Emery.

He's on 190,000 p/w, he's very slow and would be terrible in a high line, he panics when pressed so wouldn't suit our build-up play, he has the turning circle of an oil tanker. But on the plus side he IS left footed.

3 minutes ago, useless said:

We've already got Konsa, Carlose, Pau, Chambers, and Dendoncker, and even Kamara, plus Feeney if the right chance presents itself, so I don't think we will be signing another defender, we were already pushing it as it was when Mings was fit, hence the rumours of Carlos leaving, only way I could see us signing another defender is if we're worried that Carlos might not be as good after his injury.

And bearing in mind we're already going to be signing a left-back, a right-back, Zaniolo, an addtional attacker, and another central midfielder hasn't been ruled out, so we're going to be busy enough as it is, central defender probably going to be low on the priorities.

How much for just his knee? To be fair that's all we need. We've got the rest of a really good defender, we just need the bendy bit of another.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

He's on 190,000 p/w, he's very slow and would be terrible in a high line, he panics when pressed so wouldn't suit our build-up play, he has the turning circle of an oil tanker. But on the plus side he IS left footed.

Haha, he’s not left footed! But he does play left side…

1 hour ago, GeordieVillan said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned - but I think we should look at Harry Maguire, especially if we could get him on a season long loan with an option to buy….

I'd rather look at my wages burning in a skip. 

• Haha 3

So without chatting too much about other teams business but £75mill plus potentially for Livamento & Lewis Hall - geez the English tax is just getting ridiculous. I don’t care where a players from tbh.  On one hand they want a certain amount of homegrown players then because of FFP it’s more beneficial to sell them and then to buy them is ridiculously expensive… 

10 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

We aren’t signing Maguire. Won’t even entertain it. Don’t need him. 

I’m staggered people think we don’t need another centre back (in general rather than Maguire specifically). We currently have -

Konsa who is proven, although the general consensus seems to be that he needs Mings alongside him to be effective.

Torres who is potentially excellent, and I thought looked good against Newcastle, but who knows if he will settle and how good he will be in the Prem.

Carlos who again, might be great, but we don’t really know, and we don’t know how badly his injury has affected the player we signed a year ago.

Chambers who is back up at best and I don’t think we can consider a starter.

Dendonker as a last resort ok, but we can’t rely on him to play every week at centre half surely.

Before Mings injury, I don’t think we were “stacked”, we had a solid proven partnership with two potentially very good players as back up.

We need proven premier league experience alongside Konsa IMO.

I hope I’m wrong and Torres and/or Carlos tear it up, but even if that’s the case, one injury to either of those or Konsa and we are basically down to bare bones at centre half.

Maguire was a suggestion as he ticks a lot of boxes, is proven in the league and has played at the highest level. Granted though, he may not fit the system of playing the high line.

There must be other options though.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I actually think we might sign Maguire, seems a bit odd his deal with wet spam falling through after Mings’ injury, he’d replace the aerial deficiencies but not sure he’s got the athleticism to play the high line well.

He’s probably quicker than he looks, but he’s definitely not got Mings speed.

The aerial presence is an issue now, especially on defensive set pieces.

1 minute ago, GeordieVillan said:

I’m staggered people think we don’t need another centre back (in general rather than Maguire specifically). We currently have -

Konsa

Torres 

Carlos 

Chambers

HAUSE!!

But seriously if we’re only playing 2 CB’s then those 4 should be enough if we buy Acuña and another RB as well.

If Maguire is the answer then we might as well sack the data department and get rid of Monchi. Just mental to think Maguire would improve us given how shot he is let alone shit nowadays. 

Edited by thabucks

5 minutes ago, GeordieVillan said:

Konsa who is proven, although the general consensus seems to be that he needs Mings alongside him to be effective.

Torres who is potentially excellent, and I thought looked good against Newcastle, but who knows if he will settle and how good he will be in the Prem.

Carlos who again, might be great, but we don’t really know, and we don’t know how badly his injury has affected the player we signed a year ago.

Chambers who is back up at best and I don’t think we can consider a starter.

Dendonker as a last resort ok, but we can’t rely on him to play every week at centre half surely.

Before Mings injury, I don’t think we were “stacked”, we had a solid proven partnership with two potentially very good players as back up.

We need proven premier league experience alongside Konsa IMO.

I hope I’m wrong and Torres and/or Carlos tear it up, but even if that’s the case, one injury to either of those or Konsa and we are basically down to bare bones at centre half.

Maguire was a suggestion as he ticks a lot of boxes, is proven in the league and has played at the highest level. Granted though, he may not fit the system of playing the high line.

We've invested heavily in our centre backs for this very reason, it's time for them to step up or be given the chance to step up. We've got 2 CL level centre halves waiting to play.

We've got other areas of the team that need that sort of depth as a priority.

26 minutes ago, Monkeypuzzle said:

Torres, Konsa, Carlos, Chambers, Dendoncker, Kamara, Hause(long term injury) can all play centre back with no problems.

You don't think that there is enough quality there to cover two positions? Seriously? Our fifth choice backup, fifth choice, is a Belgian international who regularly plays that position for his country. Reality check. We do not need to replace Mings.

Good point regarding Dendoncker, I think he definitely stays on the back of the injury to Mings.

Villa have versatility now.

Be good to finally sell Davis and Hause too (if possible). 

• Like 1