maqroll

2 hours ago, duke313 said:

I’m not even joking. He’d probably be perfect short term:

Leadership ✅
Free ✅
CB or RB ✅
Sevilla/Monchi ✅

What have we got to lose?

I think he’d be excellent can we tempt him?

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

I don't understand the point of signing a new LB, unless we know Digne is going to be leaving. 

Only reason to really… but I’d always assumed we’d bring in a younger, more long term option to eventually succeed Moreno in that case.

Injuries have really shook us and affected our plans though…

Maybe we’re forced to implement some short term fixes or plug some gaps… hope not but… I trust Unai and Monchi…

2 hours ago, MrBlack said:

Young would have been the better option and probably would have had a lower wage.

But if we want to get someone Spanish speaking in to help with the defensive communication maybe.

He'll also get plenty of suspensions so Cash would still get some game time.

I’m mean if the defence consists of 

Martinez 

Cash    Carlos   Pau   Dinge/Moreno

All speak Spanish bar Matty Cash , Douglas Luiz in front of them also speaks Spanish and before someone else jumps in and gets technically and point out Carlos and Luiz are Brazilian and speak Portuguese and Dinge is French they’ve all played football in Spain and  Spanish is the second language of Brazil. We have more Spanish speaking defenders than we have English.

26 minutes ago, paul514 said:

No resale value, this is key for us

Not relating to Acuna per se, but as a team trying to compete at the right end of the table, I think we'll find our 'resale' funds coming from developing good academy players purely to sell on.

This allows Unai and co to find the right players to win games immediately, without worrying about what happens when / if a player is sold.

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I don't understand the point of signing a new LB, unless we know Digne is going to be leaving. 

I don’t mind Dinge but his attacking output really let us down at the weekend he can’t beat a man yes he puts a lovely cross he’d be ideal for a team looking for crosses into the box for a Target Man.

Just now, gwi1890 said:

I’m mean if the defence consists of 

Martinez 

Cash    Carlos   Pau   Dinge/Moreno

All speak Spanish bar Matty Cash , Douglas Luiz in front of them also speaks Spanish and before someone else jumps in and gets technically and point out Carlos and Luiz are Brazilian and speak Portuguese and Dinge is French they’ve all played football in Spain and  Spanish is the second language of Brazil. We have more Spanish speaking defenders than we have English.

Hence why Ramos would be a good fit if we're looking for someone to improve on Cash...who clearly cannot communicate with the rest of our backline or hold his position. (I know he was fouled for their goal, but he shouldn't have been that deep anyway).

I don't suspect he'd come here, and like I said I'd have rather we kept young, but if we want someone to give us options this season and work from the off he'd be a pretty smart pickup on a free... I think?

• Like 1

Just now, MrBlack said:

Hence why Ramos would be a good fit if we're looking for someone to improve on Cash...who clearly cannot communicate with the rest of our backline or hold his position. (I know he was fouled for their goal, but he shouldn't have been that deep anyway).

I don't suspect he'd come here, and like I said I'd have rather we kept young, but if we want someone to give us options this season and work from the off he'd be a pretty smart pickup on a free... I think?

He’d be a smart pick up no doubt but I think it’s unrealistic 

The piss poor luck we’ve had with injuries this week only highlights the need for another striker.

We’ve lost our talismanic leader and one of our creative players who looked fired up for the season ahead.

You just never know when a serious injury could happen, regardless of whether or not the player has had a serious injury before.

Are we confident that Archer and Duran could step up if Watkins got injured?

Personally I think it’s a huge risk to take, and would derail our season.

1 minute ago, jacketspuds said:

The piss poor luck we’ve had with injuries this week only highlights the need for another striker.

We’ve lost our talismanic leader and one of our creative players who looked fired up for the season ahead.

You just never know when a serious injury could happen, regardless of whether or not the player has had a serious injury before.

Are we confident that Archer and Duran could step up if Watkins got injured?

Personally I think it’s a huge risk to take, and would derail our season.

I'm not at all confident they'd step up.

I think the Buendia injury highlighted this to me. The system we have only works if we are pressing high up the pitch.  Watkins didn't seem to be on the boil for Newcastle which didn't help but losing Buendia we will always have less pressure up the pitch. I think McGinn is the most obvious replacement we have for the Buendia role in terms of presence, and could work using Emery's preferred tactics. 

BUt if we lose Watkins too we need a completely new way of playing.  But which strikers out there compare to Watkins in terms of output and workrate? I'm not sure there are any?

• Like 1

Just now, MrBlack said:

I think the Buendia injury highlighted this to me. The system we have only works if we are pressing high up the pitch.  Watkins didn't seem to be on the boil for Newcastle which didn't help but losing Buendia we will always have less pressure up the pitch. I think McGinn is the most obvious replacement we have for the Buendia role in terms of presence, and could work using Emery's preferred tactics. 

BUt if we lose Watkins too we need a completely new way of playing.  But which strikers out there compare to Watkins in terms of output and workrate? I'm not sure there are any?

I don’t think we’ll find anyone that will give the same output as Watkins, but we need a player that at least plays the same way.

As you say, we may have to change our way of playing if Watkins got injured, but even the risk of having 2 youngsters with little experience is too great if we want to hit the targets that Emery will have set.

7 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Bingo - the list is very small. Workrate, hold up play, link up play, and then still have the stamina to be in position to score. 

The obvious one is Tammy - even so similar that they both miss sitters though Tammy has missed some really awful ones. 

Vlahovic, which is why I think he was linked. But the outlay would be enormous. 

That’s why I still think Archer will stay. So much money for a true CF. 

29 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Watkins, but we need a player that at least plays the same way.

Equally, there is an argument that if we are bringing in another CF it would be better to have someone who offers something different from Ollie so we can change things up when it's not working with/for him.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

Bingo - the list is very small. Workrate, hold up play, link up play, and then still have the stamina to be in position to score. 

The obvious one is Tammy - even so similar that they both miss sitters though Tammy has missed some really awful ones. 

Vlahovic, which is why I think he was linked. But the outlay would be enormous. 

That’s why I still think Archer will stay. So much money for a true CF. 

These thoughts do not track. Archer's not that guy. 

3 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Ramos wouldn't come here. He wants to play Champions League and will stay in Europe to play for a club in it. Otherwise he'd go for payday in US or Saudi. 

He just turned down a Mexican team because they couldnt afford his wages

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

We do have other leaders in the squad, the doubts that have been raised are more concerning the defence. Who is going to lead and organise that department?

There will be an adjustment period… but I really do have faith in a Pau and Diego partnership and they are both leaders and have consistently competed at much higher levels than both Mings and Konsa…

We’l need to be patient but they could be brilliant… just hope Diego has fully recovered from his injury troubles - he could actually replace Ty and give us what we miss… Huge amount of top level experience…

I think Pau was (potentially) seen as an upgrade and our future anyway…

We’re just forced to speed up the process in terms of “future proofing” our defence… and not being so reliant on Ty as we always have been…

I think this is on similar grounds  to when grealish was leaving us. Concerns were raised that we wont have any creative output we wont go anywwhere without him and sleking best players.

In this scenerio we have a concern that mings will be missed because of his leadership. But as sad and shitty this news is we have to go on and remember this is a team game. Someone else needs to grab this opportunity by the horns and show leadership to the fans. Im certainly confident emery will be drilling this into the players