Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

One of the villa podcasts had hinted we were considering a bid that came in for Carlos. 

This is one of the reasons I was cursing our luck yesterday. With FFP we prob need to get someone off the books to get in a player we want. But now we absolutely need Carlos to cover Mings while he is out 

4 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Thank you…

he’s chatting shit again…

dunno why he’s even here…

We destroyed “big teams” with these midfielders last season….

I’m here due to supporting both Villa and Everton and more Villa now. Have stated this many times already on site!

Concerning chatting shit that may be so but what I won’t do is change my opinion to fall in line with your and other’s opinion that Villa’s midfield is great.

There is nothing to suggest that other than a 7th place finish last season.

Can’t remember Villa ‘destroying’ any of the top six other than the 7 against Liverpool several seasons ago.

If Villa’s midfield is so great then why have Villa been without a trophy for many years now?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nnock1984 said:

Foyth 

Tyler Adams 

Los Celso 

Zaniolo 

Felix 

Don’t think we need Lo Celso, but definitely Foyth, Zaniolo and Felix (or similar). Adams would be a good signing if Dendoncker left.

We really need to trim the squad a bit.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, striker said:

I’m here due to supporting both Villa and Everton and more Villa now. Have stated this many times already on site!

Concerning chatting shit that may be so but what I won’t do is change my opinion to fall in line with your and other’s opinion that Villa’s midfield is great.

Can’t remember Villa ‘destroying’ any of the top six other than the 7 against Liverpool several seasons ago.

If Villa’s midfield is so great then why have Villa been without a trophy for many years now?

" It's alright Andy... Don't be Gray.... Everyone's miserable... Because we were shite.... Yesterday "

In fairness, your last paragraph makes no sense. For reasons I'll let someone with more energy detail.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

One third of our senior players (including Philogene-Bidace, Archer, Iroegbunam and Duran) are currently injured. 9 out of 28 (that's including Hause and Davis). We are struggling with injuries right now so page 911 seems to be the place to mention this!

Mings, Hause, Moreno, Dendoncker, Iroegbunam, Traore, Buendia, Ramsey and Duran all out at the moment.

Edited by Monkeypuzzle

4 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Let’s not go down this road again…

Are you actually a Villa fan at all? Sure doesn’t ever seem like it… 

After your criticism of Luiz…. It’s hard to take much of what you say all that seriously.

A midfielders are great.. one bad performance or result doesn’t change that…

Leagues ahead of whatever Everton have to offer…

No problem but I am very proud to say that I am a Villa fan. In fact wanting the best for your team or teams is a sure sign that you care and no team or player should be above fan criticism. The debate is about opinion and I will continue to voice that opinion while accepting other’s who think differently.

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

In fairness, your last paragraph makes no sense.

It makes perfect sense when you consider teams with ‘great’ midfields generally win more than those who don’t. 

20 minutes ago, nnock1984 said:

Foyth 

Tyler Adams 

Los Celso 

Zaniolo 

Felix 

You suspect that other than Zaniolo all of those will be plying their trade elsewhere on September 1st.

And even Zaniolo I wouldn't bet on at the moment.

15 minutes ago, striker said:

OK.  How about - Tielemans only signed this summer.  Kind of difficult for him to help us win things before he joined.

Kamara only signed last summer.  Again kind of difficult for him to help us win things from another country.

Ramsey - only really broke into the team properly last season (i.e. first time he's looked like a first team player rather than a young prospect).

Dougas Luiz was being played in the wrong position and with little / no support.  That meant he had few options on the ball and was outnumbered off the ball.

McGinn - see Doug.  But he also wasn't told often enough what he was doing wrong / not doing.  As he has said himself - Emery has told him exactly what he needs him to do.  He's a much better player as a result.

Ultimately, the main difference is balance.  Emery has given us a better balance in midfield that allows each of the players to play to the strengths and for the midfield to be better than the sum of its parts. 

Unfortunately, yesterday we lost the midfield battle to another team with a very good midfield.  That will happen every now and again.  As it did to Newcastle last time they came to Villa Park.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We haven't replaced Young and we sent KKH out on loan for the season. The plus side for me is the only real sniffs we've had about an incoming RB have been good players - I'm thinking Meunier and Montiel. But we need a RB in ASAP imo.

Not bringing in another body at CB between now and the end of the window would mean quite a few minutes for Chambers over the seaon and I can't see that ending well if I'm honest. Him and Hause leaving and another body through the door would be ideal really at this point. Carlos staying fit just became crucial.

If Digne is happy to hang around that saves us the trouble of finding a new LB but if reports are to be believed he might yet be off and we need another LB all of a sudden

Mental really, this time last week I thought we were a RB away from the most solid defensive unit we've seen in many a year

12 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

But we need a RB in ASAP imo.

Not bringing in another body at CB between now and the end of the window would mean quite a few minutes for Chambers over the seaon

Chambers has played RB more than any other position in his career. 104 games. 

If do look to replace Mings with another LCB then David Hancko is a beast of a player …

https://fbref.com/en/players/4fac8f81/scout/365_m2/David-Hancko-Scouting-Report

Or if we’re just looking to add another CB as Carlos play play either side then Josip Sutalo from Dinamo Zagreb is an upgrade on Konsa and Is destined to join a big European club - been linked to Ajax & Arsenal this summer.

Neither would break the bank. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, thabucks said:

If do look to replace Mings with another LCB then David Hancko is a beast of a player …

Or if we’re just looking to add another CB as Carlos play play either side then Josip Sutalo from Dinamo Zagreb is an upgrade on Konsa and Is destined to join a big European club - been linked to Ajax & Arsenal this summer.

I wouldn’t mind the Swansea CB.

Harry Darling. What a name!

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

Chambers has played RB more than any other position in his career. 104 games. 

Yeah, I know, you've said already, but in the post you're quoting there I was talking about getting another RB in and Mings's injury making him 4th choice CB again - where he's played the majority of games for us I think.

I've said in the Chambers thread I think he's a nice guy and been a shrewd signing. I just don't see him and Cash as options propelling us towards European Qualification or the Conference League Trophy and I'm not sure him as second string CB will work out in the cups

Extra utility guy? sure, but I'm not sure we can afford that luxury, Dignes wages dont pay themselves and etc

10 minutes ago, thabucks said:

What we'd need to replace is his physical presence as well as his organisational skills. Hancko's numbers for aerial duels, blocks, clearances etc. are very low. He doesn't look like a suitable replacement whatsoever. 

• Like 1