Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

8 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I’d be very surprised if that’s all we have. It’s a different story about whether we’ll spend it but we have a lot more headroom than that.

I personally don't think we will have. We've spent £70-80m already and added significantly to the wage bill with no sales going the other way.

Next season we're also coming to the end of the period where the Grealish money counts for us so we have to be ready for that.

I'm not saying we can't make any further moves, but I'm not expecting much until at least a few are out of the door. 

As I say, I'd be surprised if we weren't looking at keepers now, but anything else might be later in the window when we have a better idea of the financial position. 

I'll believe it when I see it RE: Bailey to Saudi.

Have they helped any side not Newcastle or Chelsea yet? Fabinho for £40m would be helpful to Liverpool if that goes through.

What kind of striker would we need anyway? That's my question. There are so many different types. What do you think would work well with Emery? A sneaky old hand like Cavani at Man U, who had such masterful positioning? A pacey youngster? A sniper?

Edited by Marka Ragnos

10 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Have they helped any side not Newcastle or Chelsea yet? Fabinho for £40m would be helpful to Liverpool if that goes through.

Ruben Neves at £60m? Jota £25m, Brozovic £20m, Milinkovic-Savic £35m etc?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Ruben Neves at £60m? Jota £25m, Brozovic £20m, Milinkovic-Savic £35m etc?

Neves and Jota are definitely Mendes favours. Anything with him is dodgy and weird. Doubt the clubs got the full fees.

Was that all SMS was! Brozovic and Milinkovic-Savic pretty good players for the price I'd say? Lazio would have wanted £75m off anyone else I think.

44 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Chelsea, Newcastle, Wolves, Liverpool, United, Fulham, City.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

Neves and Jota are definitely Mendes favours. Anything with him is dodgy and weird. Doubt the clubs got the full fees.

Was that all SMS was! Brozovic and Milinkovic-Savic pretty good players for the price I'd say? Lazio would have wanted £75m off anyone else I think.

I think I may be missing your point here, I thought you were saying they weren’t trying to sign players from a range of clubs but actually now think you may just be talking about overpaying.

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

What? Excluding the Sky 6 teams which have revenue double or triple what Villa have… which teams spend £100m each summer?  My guess is none. 

Guess again. This was the transfer expenditure (first monetary column) and income (second monetary column) for each Premier league club last season. Even Southampton spent 142m euros... And they got relegated. 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/einnahmenausgaben/wettbewerb/GB1/plus/0?ids=a&sa=&saison_id=2022&saison_id_bis=2022&nat=&pos=&altersklasse=&w_s=&leihe=&intern=0

Click on the 'arrival' number for a list of incoming and fees paid.

PSX_20230724_192923.jpg

Edited by Made In Aston

3 hours ago, nick76 said:

Why not?

Yes we’ve spent £70m so far, we are likely to sell a bunch of players so let’s say £20m.  

FFP increased by £14m per annum from the £70m, will be minimally reduced by sales if at all.  

Biggest impact will be new wages so getting more players off the books through sales or loans would be good.  

None of this suggests we couldn’t spend big on a striker.  

I don’t think we’ll spend big on a striker/forward but it wouldn’t surprise me either.  

So common sense imo my opinion says that we could, we might but we might not but nothing says we can’t.

Because we don't have the income to do it if we comply with FFP.

We wasted most of the grealish money so the amortisation of that 100m for the most part is accounted for. Our wage bill is surely higher than ever with 2 big free transfers in Kamara and Tielemans, never mind paying off the scouse gimp and his backroom staff.

The striker market is poor and you will be paying huge money to get equal or better than Watkins. 

I nornally find myself agreeing with you but on this surely you must see we have spent very very highly in the past 3 or so years and we won't be getting much for our deadwood fringe players if we are honest.

All points to not spending 70/80m on a striker. It's just common sense.

Edited by Hank Scorpio
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

have spent very very highly in the past 3 or so years

Our 5 year net spend is £270 million and past 3 seasons we’ve spent around £120 million … 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, useless said:

Patrick Bamford under consideration according to John Percy.

Do we want to keep our physios busy? Utter waste of space and not a patch on Watkins.

id rather go with Duran and Archer as back up

• Like 1

It was seven years ago, 'Di Matteo is also determined to sign another forward, with Chelsea's Patrick Bamford and Huddersfield's Nahki Wells under consideration.', but if we were interested in him for some strange reason then I think it would be as back-up to Watkins and then only if both Duran and Archer were going out on loan, I'd be surprised as from what I can tell most Leeds fans think him not even good enough for them now even as a Championship club.