Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

1 minute ago, tezzaleed said:

Brian Little with John Gregory as his second was the best I remember.  neither worked as well by themselves.   

Still not as good as Unai… imo anyway.

So much has changed since those days too… 

6 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I agree in a way, and I’m not saying we will always look to flip, but sometimes we will have to and if an offer comes in that is advantageous to us, I don’t think we’d hesitate and look to replace. 

Sure, but again… I don’t think it’s a priority for us. We don’t have tight budgets to maintain such as previous clubs and situations they have worked at/in.

It would take crazy offers for any of our key players for us to even consider selling and only if we have top quality replacements already identified - some with the potential to become even better.

I expect Monchi to locate players like this, that maybe have gone under the radar for “elite clubs” and others will regret not recognising… an excellent way to improve and strengthen the side over time…

The ambition and desire to win things is top of the agenda, I really believe that. Isn’t that wonderful? 😄

I just feel we have an incredible amount of nous, expertise, experience, intelligence and knowledge at the club now… we’ve finally got it right, the right blend and the right people in key areas.

No more small time, shoddy business.

No more chancers and spoofers…

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

How long since we had such an entertaining team to watch? 

Only going to get better… we pass the ball so well now, that was a dream not so long ago…

We have been so easy on the eye and it’s only going to get better.

Thank you Unai.

2020/21 we were entertaining😉

17 minutes ago, TRO said:

I meant his attachement/passion to the club.....not his playing ability...but hey ho.

Hmmm… which former Villa players would you put in that bracket or category? Would make a stronger comparison than someone like Noble too but I definitely got your point.

I feel the same way about Luiz now, which is kind of crazy because he arrived as a young player and so many had such mixed views on him… he’s developed so well… he does seem like a proper “Villan” 😄 it’s also obvious that Unai see him as key and vitally important…

Right now…

I do see Mings and McGinn as ingrained within the fabric of the club (nice to see them continue to be key for us after being on this journey for a while and helping us escape the Championship, and what an endorsement that Unai sees them as important when many have/had written them off and slated them so heavily) and having that attachment and passion… Martinez too, for sure… probably Konsa aswell.. Ramsey…

Watkins is at least well on the way to that… especially if he extends his deal and continues to be the main man. I can’t wait for him to break Gabby’s scoring record…

• Like 2

So, who is going to be out the door permanently soon?

Defo? - Davis, Hause, Welsey (whos honna take him tho)?

Possibly? - Sanson, Traore (but he's injured?)

Not sure I can see donk or Chambers leaving tbh.

Edited by MaVilla

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

Defo? - Davis, Hause?

You’ve pretty much covered it there.

Not sure what we’re gonna do with Wes…

In terms of what’s likely or going to happen, it’s hard to make that call right now.

Don’t see the “harm” in keeping Traore on for his final season, gives us decent cover in an attacking sense… may well be moved on though. 

The problem, as ever is finances and wages. Not many foreign teams are willing or able to afford them… so it makes signing someone like Sanson more difficult… though Strasbourg could afford to take him back now, after their takeover. One or two other Ligue 1 teams could manage it too… he made an impression there last season…

I’d really like Olsen to be replaced but I’m not sure if it’s going to happen…

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

If we can get a good price for Dendoncker then we should sell him and move for Tyler Adams. His versatility in terms of being able to cover DM and RB is more useful than the DM / CB cover that Dendoncker provides.

I get the feeling we may have a surprise signing lined up toward or at the end of the window…possibly a big deal that is difficult, time sensitive and more prolonged to negotiate and complete…

After hearing from Unai:

“…at the end of the transfer window in August we are going to be ready for something that can improve our team, and players can leave as well.”

15 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Most will be loans I guess

In order to be sustainable with FFP we have to generate money for outgoing players, the bigger clubs can sell players they don’t need for £20M+ regularly but for the rest of us it’s a slog, this means inevitably we’ll occasionally need to lose a top player to a bigger club (a la Grealish) to help balance the books. Right now you’d think that would be one of Watkins, Martinez, Luiz, Kamara or Ramsey, though I don’t think we need to sell anyone this summer.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I'm thinking a striker in next. Dusan Vlahovic from Juventus is circling in the media, doubtful, but you never know with Emery at the helm.

As much as I would love us to sign Vlahovic, I can't see him going anywhere except Spurs if / when Kane goes to Bayern.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

I get the feeling we may have a surprise signing lined up toward or at the end of the window…possibly a big deal that is difficult, time sensitive and more prolonged to negotiate and complete…

After hearing from Unai:

“…at the end of the transfer window in August we are going to be ready for something that can improve our team, and players can leave as well.”

We're going to try and move a few on as we're overstocked with players that won't be part of the matchday squad, and then see where that leaves us, but I don't think we'll sign anyone until that happens.

I'd expect one more big signing and I think Unai might feel Felix or Ferran Torres might be available on loan at a knock down fee towards the end of the window.

As it stands we have 23 first team players, not including Hause, Wesley, Davis or Chambers who all look expendable

Then we have young players like: Philogene, A Ramsay, Kaden Young, Revan, Kellyman and Iroegbunam.

We need to move another 4/5 on before we add to the squad, Sanson and Traore could go too.

Right back stand out as being particularly light for cover.

Edited by VillaJay

32 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

As much as I would love us to sign Vlahovic, I can't see him going anywhere except Spurs if / when Kane goes to Bayern.

I don’t think he’d come here but I certainly don’t think he’d be attracted to Spurs.  Losing Kane, no Europe, new untested manager at this level, a very troubled poor squad and Levy.  They have London and a quality stadium as an attraction at the moment, don’t that would be enough for him

The club will try hard and move on Wesley, Davies, Hause,

Try to sell some, but not all of these, Sanson, Chambers, Olsen, Coutinho, Traore

probably listen to offers for Dendonker, Buendia, Bailey, Cash, Digne

May accept silly money offers for Luiz, Konsa, Carlos, 

Every other senior players are in the long term plans, for now

Edited by CarryOnVilla

5 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

The club will try hard and move on Wesley, Davies, Hause,

Try to sell some, but not all of these, Sanson, Chambers, Olsen, Coutinho, Traore

probably listen to offers for Dendonker, Buendia, Bailey, Cash

May accept silly money offers for Luiz, Konsa, Carlos, 

Every other senior players are in the long term plans, for now

I very much doubt that we will be trying to sell our only RB currently at the club.