Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

19 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Getting on at 40 and most people think he is and was shite 🤣

Better than Olsen, especially with his feet. More assured but… no longevity at all there…

Yeah was more in jest but we could honestly probably do worse 😅

It does seem difficult to find competent backup keepers. Even the 'top' teams have had some dodgy ones in recent years.

Reina looked like he was slowing down when he was with us - and that was three years ago. 

But his persona and off field strengths were as useful as he onfield contribution during that run in.

The better keepers are usually a bit tapped. He's definitely that. 

I'd prob take someone like him (or someone fitting his description) over a younger 'project' keeper anyway. 

• Confused 1

21 hours ago, Jas10 said:

I get plenty wrong mate, we all do. And you get plenty right too. Unfortunately, everyone picks on and focusses more on faults/mistakes rather than attributes in most walks of life and topics really.

I prefer a more lighthearted and fun approach but sometimes you just feel the need to respond or comment on something that feels unfair, exaggerated unsubstantiated etc.

I still hold mild concerns over the fact that we lack a bit of physicality and aerial ability… we rely so heavily on Mings and on McGinn to “fight the battle for us”… it’s all about balance isn’t it?

I think the priority is technical quality and composure but you do need to couple that with some steel and aggression as you often point out..

I fully trust in Unai though and his ability to get the best out of his team and to address or even compensate for any potential deficiencies..

Do you think we have ever had a better manager?

I couldn't agree more.....And I do think UE is well versed in the physicality aspect.....thankfully.

20 hours ago, Jas10 said:

I don’t have too strong an opinion tbh, I’m not as knowledgeable or watch anywhere near as much football as I used to in younger days..

The first and most obvious (and most annoying for some 🤣) point to make is… anyone Unai rates, likes and wants, I’m all for… who am I or anyone else to question it?

Diaby excites me a bit but it’s hard to predict how well he’s going to translate over to PL… expect more assists than goals from him… certainly appears like he would be a good addition. I just hope he’s that much better and more effective than what we already possess, especially at the suggested outlay. Waste of money otherwise - I want genuine enhancements and upgrades to our side, not more of the same or lesser…

I want us to kick on as much and as far as possible… to really be a force, a dangerous and formidable side that will disrupt and scare the life out of the so called “elite”… 😁 A proper and effective threat. 

Doku… I like us targetting and signing young players with high potential. What I’ve heard is impressive but I haven’t seen a lot other than he’s obviously and visibly a very fast player…

What I will say is that… I’m always a little wary of pacy players, especially players that almost exclusively rely on pace. Not saying this is the case for Doku but…

give me technically proficient players over those that rely on pace any day. That’s just my view and I feel it’s one that won’t be widely embraced… especially nowadays.

I’m old fashioned in the sense that my favourite kind of players are playmakers (including fantasistas and trequartistas - I was basically brought up on 90s Serie A football!) sadly it seems to be a dying art… I value and admire elegance, grace, composure and supreme technical ability and passing prowess over physicality, agility, strength etc. There’s a reason it’s called “the beautiful game”…

Pace is a dangerous and effective weapon and seems to be most people’s favourite weapon… but… it has a limit or a “sell by date” and many players that rely on it burn out and suffer from a lot of injuries, some have short careers.

Now, if you can find players that combine pace with high level technical ability and control… then you’re really onto something (R9 probably the best ever example of this, tragic what he went through with injuries though. Would’ve gone on to be recognised as one of the very best players to have ever played the game and the “real Ronaldo”. No lack of strength and determination either) and shouldn’t pass up the opportunity to sign such players…

This may well be the case for either or both of these players, I’m not best placed to make that judgement though and will lean on others for that…

Sorry, you didn’t ask for that ramble did you? 🤣

Interesting, and I concur.

2 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

There are a lot more variables that can be manipulated aside from transfer fees. Things like exploiting the loan market to avoid FFP and signing players to stop the competition getting them some other factors.

The simplest way is to ban transactions between clubs under the same ownership. It doesn't address all issues but will stop most of them. 

Newcastle aren't owned by the Saudi state (apparently).  They will just create different companies to own different clubs and continue as normal - good luck trying to prove that they aren't ultimately owned by the same people.  Meanwhile the whole concept of V-Sports (amongst others) dies - why would Villa buy a club in Senegal for example if there was then no option to loan / buy players from that club?  Part of V-Sports is about giving us an advantage in spotting and nurturing talent and giving opportunities / dreams to kids who might not get a shot through the traditional scouting approach.  Ownership (or partial ownership) puts more skin in the game, makes clubs more likely to invest in proper training, educational facilities, improving the facilities, etc.  More money going back into grass roots level is a good thing.  Banning it because it is easier than trying to tackle fraud is not the right approach.  Especially when PIF will just find ways of getting around multiple ownership.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Mahrez leaving City means they'll be signing a winger which puts more pressure on our winger search. We need to get Diaby over the line

A lot of experience leaving city, I wouldn’t be surprised if Pep is going to play some kids, just to show he can win the league with “home grown” (forgetting obviously the millions they have spent elsewhere).

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

A lot of experience leaving city, I wouldn’t be surprised if Pep is going to play some kids, just to show he can win the league with “home grown” (forgetting obviously the millions they have spent elsewhere).

I would take Marhez for a couple of seasons bags of experience pretty decent when given the chance.  I guess he is off to Saudi though 🤔 

• Like 1

Diaby who i have slight doubts over not huge ones, love seeing fans shocked and surprised by our new range of targets … but i KNEW this was on the horizon because our owners mean serious business more than people probably imagine they want us sitting next to man city and etc. 

2 hours ago, allani said:

Newcastle aren't owned by the Saudi state (apparently).  They will just create different companies to own different clubs and continue as normal - good luck trying to prove that they aren't ultimately owned by the same people.  Meanwhile the whole concept of V-Sports (amongst others) dies - why would Villa buy a club in Senegal for example if there was then no option to loan / buy players from that club?  Part of V-Sports is about giving us an advantage in spotting and nurturing talent and giving opportunities / dreams to kids who might not get a shot through the traditional scouting approach.  Ownership (or partial ownership) puts more skin in the game, makes clubs more likely to invest in proper training, educational facilities, improving the facilities, etc.  More money going back into grass roots level is a good thing.  Banning it because it is easier than trying to tackle fraud is not the right approach.  Especially when PIF will just find ways of getting around multiple ownership.

I thought it only applied if you are in the same continent/competition so we could still own a Senagalese club?

13 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

I thought it only applied if you are in the same continent/competition so we could still own a Senagalese club?

The current rules do only apply when in the same European competition (hence we can loan/buy players, share scouting information, etc with ZED but not this season with Vitoria).  But I was responding to a post that was suggesting that the way to avoid Saudi clubs buying players from Newcastle at inflated fees and / or selling / loaning players back at deflated fees was to introduce a blanket ban on multi-club ownership.  My understanding is that UEFA already have some rules in place around what constitutes a fair price when clubs are sold within Europe - but I don't know how easy they are to enforce.  Obviously it will be even harder with Saudi where they have already set a precedence of paying over the transfer value and paying substantially higher wages.  Therefore, selling ASM for £60m within Europe on a wage of £300k a week might look seriously over-priced when compared to other Saudi transfers it might look less "unusual".

Edited by allani