Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

48 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Didn’t realise how close Bailey and Diaby are until this morning, maybe Bailey is our secret agent/weapon in this deal

Kamara as well, both young Frenchmen, surely know each other.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MSvillain said:

So Nathan Dawe (DJ and ambassador for Villa, if anyone is wondering wtf he is) has had some inside info in the past I believe, hinting at Bailey a couple of days before it was announced. 

Posted this last night:

Everyone round Unai‘s for a basque culture evening. Traditional tapas (locally referred to as pintxos) from the basque region such as gambas al ajillo and dates wrapped in bacon will be served. These will then be washed down with a local red or white wine of your choosing. The highlight of the evening will then be a 4 hour long documentary on the history of the basque republic and its struggle for independence. 

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Sessegnon is rubbish. Going to be next big thing last +5 seasons but never looked likely. Not good enough for Spurs not good enough for us

Quick, good ball carrier, provides left back cover if we lose possession and Moreno is too far forward, provides a different tactical option to Ramsey.

he isn’t supposed to set the world alight and has hardly been treated well at spurs.

cheap, low risk transfer with upside.

• Like 4

surely transfers will play out as they do every season

all the sought after players will want huge salaries and CL football, once they realise they won't get that, they will look at the next tier of club, if they don't get that they will take the money at a mid-table club willing to throw money at them (Everton) and so on.

the biggest names already at that level will either want to continue at that level or get paid even more (PSG >>> Middle East), usually ones past their prime.

A few might get sold the longer term club vision by Emery or Monchi, especially if they know either (Pau Torres) but mostly this will come into play when the players we want have realised they won't get their big money CL move.

The problem is if we do sign players who have been denied their 1st, 2nd or even 3rd ideal move, it's whether those players have the motivation to do well for us or any club they do end up at. Player failure doesn't always seem to damage their resale value. Oh god I almost finished this without saying 'but whatever we buy I trust Unai's judgement and that he will turn them into a star for us'. etc etc.

29 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Quick, good ball carrier, provides left back cover if we lose possession and Moreno is too far forward, provides a different tactical option to Ramsey.

he isn’t supposed to set the world alight and has hardly been treated well at spurs.

cheap, low risk transfer with upside.

How would he be cheap? Spurs signed him for 25m and ironically sent Onomah to Fulham so that was obviously left over from the failed Grealish bid.

He was actually playing a bit for them before getting injured last season so seems they're letting Perisic go so he'll probably be a regular starter under Postacoglu.

We'd need to sell Digne to create space and he'll be needed for the first 3-4 games as Moreno probably won't make the start of the season.

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

How would he be cheap? Spurs signed him for 25m and ironically sent Onomah to Fulham so that was obviously left over from the failed Grealish bid.

He was actually playing a bit for them before getting injured last season so seems they're letting Perisic go so he'll probably be a regular starter under Postacoglu.

We'd need to sell Digne to create space and he'll be needed for the first 3-4 games as Moreno probably won't make the start of the season.

Nothing comes cheap from Spurs whilst they have Cue Ball in charge. 

That Grealish bid still sits top of the podium amongst the most offensive bids of all time. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

I can see the need for another midfielder, especially if we allow Sanson, Nakamba and Dendoncker leave. With Ramsey injured as well until probably end of September, makes sense.

Kessie, Adams or Guendouzi would certainly be an upgrade on the three mentioned above. 

21 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

They have hardly played him since signing him, he has 2 years left on his deal.

FYI, not a left back.

10 minutes ago, paul514 said:

They have hardly played him since signing him, he has 2 years left on his deal.

FYI, not a left back.

He was starting pretty regularly up to the World cup break. Injured since early Feb.

O.k a left wing back, how's he fit in here then?

And Spurs aren't selling him for less than 25-30m so it's a hefty price for me when the two we have cost 40m between them.

16 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

I believe the club had an interest in Kessie last season, but we ended up going for Kamara. I really like him as a player, maybe there’s a deal to be done for him and Torres. If we got both of them across the line, we would have a very scary squad for opposition teams.

On 09/07/2023 at 09:20, RichW said:

How often do clubs sign players whilst they are away on pre season tours? Just wondering if Villa will look to get a forward signed (especially as it’s a key signing) before they fly out to America otherwise it be a case of waiting till back for the Lazio game. 

Might be wrong but I remember there was a rush to get signings done before flying out to America (remember Konsa getting announced just before they flew out) in 2019 and I don’t recall anybody signing whilst they were out in Australia last summer. 

If anything the player just joins the squad whilst there already out there but I wouldn’t panic too much we should have one before or whilst we are already out there , I'm predicting it will be the week the boys fly out 

49 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Nothing comes cheap from Spurs whilst they have Cue Ball in charge. 

That Grealish bid still sits top of the podium amongst the most offensive bids of all time. 

Except their transfer behaviour - It's their only way of doing things. They're notorious for it.

20 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

He was starting pretty regularly up to the World cup break. Injured since early Feb.

O.k a left wing back, how's he fit in here then?

And Spurs aren't selling him for less than 25-30m so it's a hefty price for me when the two we have cost 40m between them.

He isn't a left wing back either, he is a left winger or left midfielder.

If Spurs quote even 20 million then he isn't being sold and leaves on a free in two years.

As for playing him all the time It wouldn't surprise me if he hasn't played as many minutes for Spurs for every season combined as he did in his final championship season with Fulham.

37 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

My concern on Kessie is he’ll probably be on a huge wage coming from a club with arguably the least financial sense in Europe, plus decent sized transfer fee too (ok €20m not mega money, but it quickly adds up) just for a player to presumably be back up to Kamara? I don’t have a problem with big wages for clear upgrades to the starting 11 but for squad players things could get very bloated very quickly if we go too far down that route 

• Like 1