Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Loads of players get international caps even for the best International teams.  Maguire is a regular for England but you wouldn’t want to sign him would you? even ETH doesn’t play him at Man U.

He's not scored every other game for England tbf 🤣

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Playing for the best team in the league….stats are only one piece of the analysis otherwise El Ghazi would still be here as his final full season with us before being loaned out he scored 11 goals in 31 games when we a lower half table team but I’m guessing you don’t want him back.  Stats, as I said, are one point of analysis but I’ve watched him and I’m not impressed and now he’s deadwood at Barca, which yes is one of the biggest clubs in the world and turnover is high but I go back to that I’ve watched him and I just don’t see it.  Sorry!

If Emery thinks he will improve is then that should be all the reassurance you need.

Over the last 6 months we have seen multiple players at Villa (who many of us wanted to get rid of) turned into world beaters. The same might well happen with Torres. 

Edited by Made In Aston

4 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

If Emery thinks he will improve is then that should be all the reassurance you need.

Over the last 6 months we have seen multiple players at Villa (who many of us wanted to get rid of) turned into world beaters. The same might well happen with Torres. 

Completely agree and as I said if we sign him then I will 100% back him because I trust Emery.  

As of today, we have no idea if Emery likes him given we can’t trust any links these days and a such as this is a forum then I am giving my opinion of him.  

Otherwise this thread would be dead if didn’t question every link with our own views until a credible link and/or we sign somebody.

• Like 2

VT is a strange place at the best of times but during Transfer Window some of you just need to be patient.

Arguing about why Ferran Torres is a good or bad acquisition is pointless to whether Villa signing or not; fine say your bit and move on. It's getting repetitive to see the bickering....

For what it's worth I think he would add something to Villa and he's better than Bailey or he could play left-side; he is good on either flank and gives us options. 

Torres played in all of Spain's four games in the WC and I thought he was a bright spark for them, admittedly that wouldn't have been that difficult as they were poor but I thought he was lively. 

It's surprising to hear some not wanting Villa to sign him, he's a regular for Spain who are still a top team.

VT family you are a strange sometimes.

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

VT is a strange place at the best of times but during Transfer Window some of you just need to be patient.

Arguing about why Ferran Torres is a good or bad acquisition is pointless to whether Villa signing or not; fine say your bit and move on. It's getting repetitive to see the bickering....

For what it's worth I think he would add something to Villa and he's better than Bailey or he could play left-side; he is good on either flank and gives us options. 

Torres played in all of Spain's four games in the WC and I thought he was a bright spark for them, admittedly that wouldn't have been that difficult as they were poor but I thought he was lively. 

It's surprising to hear some not wanting Villa to sign him, he's a regular for Spain who are still a top team.

I don't think it is a high bar for Torres to do better for us than Bailey.

I recommended we sign Bailey, he should have been much better for us but he has been pretty crap and the injury record makes it worse.

Time to replace and get his book value back as a fee

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Generally agree but speaking truth to power can be risky😉

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

It's getting repetitive to see the bickering....

So don’t read that part then and leave the rest of us to debate.  I’m not sure why some people like to comment on why others are regularly discussing a point when it is a forum for discussion and more so that it’s a thread to discuss speculation.

32 minutes ago, allani said:

I can't quite figure out how you have decided that the "summary" above bears any resemblence to anything that I have said.

Playing Archer up front supported by Buendia and Bailey (for example) is a pretty high risk strategy for a club wanting to compete in the top 7.  I can't believe that is even up for debate.  Playing Ollie, Bailey and Archer is better but still risky (and means playing one or more of them out of position).  But if our front three was say Ollie, Chiesa and Dybala (or players of that ilk) all of whom would be expecting to get close to / past double figures - then for me that gives us far more licence to play Archer on a regular basis.  Chiesa, Archer and Dybala still sounds pretty threatening and means that Archer isn't under immediate pressure as our only serious goal threat.

Ollie scored more than twice as many goals as any other player for us last season - so taking him off massively reduces our goal threat and so is immediately a risky call.  We saw that exact thing last season when Ollie was on the pitch several times when he was clearly done in but we couldn't afford the risk of throwing Duran on for 30 minutes.  With the way that Ollie plays and us (hopefully) having more matches this season - the threat is less about injury and more just tiredness (we need to be able to take Ollie off more often so that he can stay fresher). 

The same would go for Tim in midfield.  If our "controlling" CM trio is Luiz, McGinn and Nakamba (from the season before last) - it is high risk to put Tim in there.  But when we have Kamara, Luiz, Tielemans and (Unai's) McGinn there (I'm assuming that Ramsey will be playing a more "free" role) - it is much easier (and safer) to give him minutes because he'll be playing with better players when we have better control of the match.

Buying better quality improves the opportunities for giving our younger prospects more game time not less.  I'm not suggesting we buy 25 international stars so we have 2 brilliant players in every position and block any chance of youngsters coming through.  Man City (for all their faults) have been able to blood some of their youngsters because they are in control of matches and so those players can gain experience with little / no pressure on them.  Throwing on the likes of Tim because Kamara gets injured when we are 2-0 down and the midfield is being over-run helps no-one in the short term.  Bring him on when we are 2-0 up and cruising helps him get a better feel for PL football, gives him confidence to play his normal game, allows him the luxury of making a mistake and it not being too costly.  If he does well in those games then he starts to become more of an option when the score is 0-0 and we feel we need to change something.  Same for Archer.  Let's give him proper support first so that if he goes 3 or 4 games without scoring it is unlikely to make much difference.  That way if he does come in and start scoring straight away then at worst it gives Emery a massive selection headache.

Expecting Archer to be our second striker next season with our current squad and for him to score 10 goals is (I think) wildly optimistic.  Bring in more attacking support so that we have a more balanced goal threat, I think means we are much better positioned to give him shot and give him time if he doesn't hit the ground running.  Had Bailey and Buendia both been up closer to 10 or 11 goals this season then I am sure that Duran would have got more minutes than he did.

Bringing Archer back to Villa and not playing him because we're worried about where our goals will come from if Ollie is not on the pitch would be a complete waste of time. 

Well someone put a whole heap of words in my mouth. You good sir assumed way too much in my point. 

im not expecting Archer to be starting a lot of games I’m not assuming Ollie is going to get injured either. It could happen, yet it possibly won’t.

As a back up, for a what if situation, why is Archer too risky? What more does he need to do to not be “too risky”? He’s a natural goal scorer and he’s proved it at every level but the premier league and that’s because he hasn’t had the chance yet. Will he get 10 goals? Probably not, because he likely never going to get enough game time for that. Ollie is keeping him out for a season or two. 

I agree he would need good support and from our links and desired links, ollie and him will do. Yet oddly any of our wide attacks we are linked to are not quite the type that double up at strikers, we are also not linked to any other striker.  And if that really is the case, and if ollie does (hopefully not) gets injured we stuck without a striker that’s not better than Archer. 

yet, on pure back up merits. Archer has proven to be capable of that role. Does he match our league/European ambitions. Probably not, but so doesn’t our financial/FFP standing. 

he’s going to be in the squad regardless, due to club trained player quota. We might as well give him a shot. I believe he can step up 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Would you say McGinn is more similar to Ramsey in that sense? He was great but I think he makes up for certain deficiencies (tightness of control, technical prowess) with sheer strength of will, determination, energy/drive, aggression/tenacity along with quality… many players lack that combination of attributes…

I think he’s been given a real education by Unai though, taking that extra touch or two and being a lot more composed has helped and improved him immensely… but he’s so good at pressing and attack from the front too. I think that’s always been his greatest asset, that ability to quickly close down and steal the ball in dangerous areas…

He’s our warrior, always up for the fight - every good team needs at least one of those…

15 hours ago, Jas10 said:

I will say that i do like us playing with midfielders in the wide positions far more than wingers. There are less blind alleys to run down . They pass and link up better. They are stronger and seem to be more consistent. 

JJ and Ginny are so different yet they achieve the same endgame. 2 powerful footballers  Both cut in from wide  , both can assist . Both can drive forward and beat players for fun . JJ seems to be turning into a far more consistent goalscorer though. 

18 minutes ago, paul514 said:

I don't think it is a high bar for Torres to do better for us than Bailey.

I recommended we sign Bailey, he should have been much better for us but he has been pretty crap and the injury record makes it worse.

Time to replace and get his book value back as a fee

Agreed.

18 minutes ago, PerryBarrPet said:

Generally agree but speaking truth to power can be risky😉

Some people don't like the truth...

13 minutes ago, nick76 said:

So don’t read that part then and leave the rest of us to debate.  I’m not sure why some people like to comment on why others are regularly discussing a point when it is a forum for discussion and more so that it’s a thread to discuss speculation.

I can read whatever I please but I'd rather not see you consistently repeat yourself regarding Ferran Torres. It's repetitive.

57 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

What we need is some new men that will make us do the football better than we currently do.

Assuming the gender of our new football person/persons/people/peoples, go and sit on the naughty step!

Edited by MaVilla

Can understand the mixed views on F Torres, Man City were quick to cash in on him as soon as the opportunity arose, Barca seem to want to get rid already. Only 23 years old, but already made 2 underwhelming big money transfers already. 

If there’s genuine interest from our side, hopefully it’s because Emery knows exactly what is needed and has identified Torres as a player to fill that need. Not convinced Barca have the remotest clue what they’re doing when it comes to buying players so this lad not quite fitting there is not necessarily an indication of anything as long as his confidence isn’t knocked from 2 big moves not working out. 

I can understand where @nick76is coming from regarding Ferran. I also not long ago didn’t really rate him highly. I don’t know if it’s cause I didn’t like how he played aesthetically in comparison to his peers so he didn’t pass my initial eye test and this was before he moved to City. 

However I’ve changed my views on him from his time at City and also when he’s played for Spain. Not like it matters in the grand scheme of things, but I’m of the opinion that he could thrive at our club with Emery again.

2 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

I can understand where @nick76is coming from regarding Ferran. I also not long ago didn’t really rate him highly. I don’t know if it’s cause I didn’t like how he played aesthetically in comparison to his peers so he didn’t pass my initial eye test and this was before he moved to City. 

However I’ve changed my views on him from his time at City and also when he’s played for Spain. Not like it matters in the grand scheme of things, but I’m of the opinion that he could thrive at our club with Emery again.

I agree, he has looked decent for Spain when I've seen him.

• Like 1

Shocked to see some turn their noses up at Ferran Torres but would love to see Brennan Johnson instead.  The gulf in class is huge between the two of them.  Johnson will most likely end up being another Everton/West Ham overhyped player they paid big for on a massive contract rotting on their bench, because he's not good enough and they can't get rid.  Torres is an actual class player who needs a manager to play him in one position and start him every game (something Pep and Xavi didn't do).   

• Like 4