Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

7 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

Torres being forced out but if he has to go anywhere he wouldn’t mind linking up with Emery again is the general gist of this article I think. 

Apparently, the journalist who wrote the story is the Barca correspondent at e-Notícies, the Spanish outlet he works for. Who knows if what he says is accurate, but currently he has 42 followers on Twitter, so perhaps not yet that well known for his exclusive access to the innermost workings of the Barca powers that be.

Another  morsel for the meat grinder.

On Ferran Torres - seems to play most of his football from left so guess club will be looking at him as an alternative to Harvey Barnes. On one hand he’ll be cheaper than Barnes as for sure Spammers will go hard (Kenneth) for Barnes and have lots of money post Rice. However my feel is part of low “fee” for Torres is Barca creating room for any buying club to be able to pay his wages. 

Torres also seems like the more intelligent player, you don’t get picked by Pep unless you’ve got great football brains. Should hopefully help us control games which is a key part of Emery plan. So on paper it all stacks up.

There is just something that worries me. Does Barnes, someone who is already settled in area and has lots of PL experience make more sense than Ferran Torres who got homesick living in UK not that long ago and has VERY clearly verbalised his ambitions not to move on several occasions this summer? 

For me Ferran Torres would be the most exciting link we've had so far this window in terms of attacking players. I think his ceiling is really high - it's a specific combination of circumstances that put him where he is. Some might say he's fighting for a first team spot, I think he's at risk of not fulfilling his potential for reasons that aren't  related to ability.

If (and that's the big question) he wants to work with Unai AND is driven to play regularly, I think he could be one of the signings of the season. So much upside, and Don Emery has already proven his ability to work magic with players in similar situations at Villa.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vancvillan said:

For me Ferran Torres would be the most exciting link we've had so far this window in terms of attacking players. I think his ceiling is really high - it's a specific combination of circumstances that put him where he is. Some might say he's fighting for a first team spot, I think he's at risk of not fulfilling his potential for reasons that aren't  related to ability.

If (and that's the big question) he wants to work with Unai AND is driven to play regularly, I think he could be one of the signings of the season. So much upside, and Don Emery has already proven his ability to work magic with players in similar situations at Villa.

Yeah I'd agree, it's been disappointingly quiet on pino and chukwueze so he's probably our best link so far (obviously not including Messi...)

He'd be plug in and play day 1, no acclimatising or developing or seeing how he does in the PL, he'd be an improvement straight away

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, villaglint said:

On Ferran Torres - seems to play most of his football from left so guess club will be looking at him as an alternative to Harvey Barnes. On one hand he’ll be cheaper than Barnes as for sure Spammers will go hard (Kenneth) for Barnes and have lots of money post Rice. However my feel is part of low “fee” for Torres is Barca creating room for any buying club to be able to pay his wages. 

Torres also seems like the more intelligent player, you don’t get picked by Pep unless you’ve got great football brains. Should hopefully help us control games which is a key part of Emery plan. So on paper it all stacks up.

There is just something that worries me. Does Barnes, someone who is already settled in area and has lots of PL experience make more sense than Ferran Torres who got homesick living in UK not that long ago and has VERY clearly verbalised his ambitions not to move on several occasions this summer? 

I think the advantage with Torres (other than him just being a very good player) is that he can play all across the front 3.  I think he'd start left and then be looking to cut in - but he's also happy to move infield and even play down the right - which would allow Ollie to drift wide at time.  It also means that he's not going to be running into the same spaces as Moreno.  If he was a young 23 year old English player with 15 goals in 30 international appearances people would be wetting themselves over him signing (partly because it would be one of the biggest transfer stories of the summer in the media). 

Torres was very young when he was here last time - two or three years extra "life" experience can make a huge difference.  Also I think there is a different atmosphere around the club at Villa rather than Man City - other players have talked about how hard it is to settle and adjust there.  I think we've got a good spirit around the club, a good bunch of players who speak Spanish and a lot of key players in / around the same age group.  So all in all I don't think his previous homesickness is something to worry about too much.  As for his ambition to stay and fight for his place in the team at Barcelona - I would say that is EXACTLY what you would want a transfer target to be saying in public.  I'd far rather that than someone who is mouthing off in the press every two seconds about wanting to leave and being desparate for a change of scene.  Especially as Barcelona seem to be moaning publicly about players they want to move on.  The question is whether he / his agent have given any private indication that they might be interested - which appears might be the case.  So in that regards I am seeing his public comments about wanting to stay as a positive thing that indicates that if we do sign him he is going to be motivated and "up for the fight" here too.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, thabucks said:

**** me - that would be astonishing.  I mean just to put that into context - Torres, Fati, Kamara, Ramsey and Luiz all 25 or under (Tielemans only just turned 26 a few weeks ago).  I mean that is a hell of a group of players to be coming through and building a team around. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, villaglint said:

Just look at his number of followers ffs. 3 thousand he knows nothing of importance. 

Lots of followers - chance of credibility. Low followers = trying to get attention. 

15 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Just look at his number of followers ffs. 3 thousand he knows nothing of importance. 

Lots of followers - chance of credibility. Low followers = trying to get attention. 

In terms of SM generally - I find that the more followers someone has, the less they are worth listening to.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, allani said:

In terms of SM generally - I find that the more followers someone has, the less they are worth listening to.

Quite so, and you can extend that out to further condemn the people who actively seek "followers". Weird and unpleasant behaviour, in my opinion. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, paul514 said:

Nah he is at the very least equal to Buendia who is our best forward.

I just wouldn’t want to pay more than half the price they are asking for him.

Buendia has been very average. Going on goals and assists Ramsey is our best attacker, after Watkins. Bailey has same goals, and one more assist, than Buendia. Buendia isn't anywhere near best of anything at Villa!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

Are people still mad about lack of transfer activity? We've made 12.5% of the total PL transfers so far. 

Can’t be now… more on the way…

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Feidhlim said:

If I recall Buendias expected assists is super high, he was unfortunate that v few were converted

Doesn't work that way. 

If player A creates 1 chance on a plate which is converted into a goal. And player B creates 5 half chances which don't get finished off, which is more valuable to the team? It's the one that led to a goal, obviously.

Xg, Xa, they are mostly bs. This is because the best players outperform their Xg, and Xa. If ones Xg or Xa is significantly higher than their actual goals and / or assist then this indicates that the quality of their finishing, and the chances created aren't upto par. So in Buendia's case his Xa is actually as much a negative as a positive. Because while he is creating a lot of chances, the quality of those chances is not high.  This idea that his poor assists return (when compared with his Xa) is because of poor finishing is a fallacy. 

Bailey's Xa is far lower than Buendia's, but he has one more assist. If you look at Bailey's assists all those goals were put on a plate! And he put quite a few more on a plate which didn't get finished. 

This is actually a perfect example of one of the reasons I don't particularly rate Buendia. He is too focused on trying to find and force openings. It leads to rash decisions. It's better to create one good chance, and keep possession most of the time, then 3 or 4 half chances and constantly give the ball away.

• Like 1