Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

16 minutes ago, sne said:

Read someone who speculated that PSG might be interested now that Luis Enrique is taking over.

Makes the most sense really… one of the few teams that could afford him (corrupt) as is and would be willing to pay the big bucks…

With Messi gone and probably Neymar next, they could well be looking for another “galactico” type signing…

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

I thought they quoted Man Utd £80m for him.

Would rather we worked on bringing Ferran Torres and Joao Felix in on loan with options to buy.

Yeah they have apparently. Quality player though.

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

You just show your ignorance of how modern data is used to judge players performance. 

It's very simple to understand. If I play a defence splitting pass and you just have to tap it in and you balloon it over the bar Vs I play the pass but it's behind you and you have to stop turn and then shoot but bury it in top corner. 

How do you judge the two players in the two instances. It's simple. Credit to the pass for the first and credit to the striker in the 2nd

True but if you play a pass that give a player an opportunity to shoot from an acute angle, that still adds to your expected assists.

In Buendia's case the fact his Xa is so munch higher than his actual assists suggests that the opportunities he create aren't being converted. So while some of these opportunities not being taken can be due to poor finishing, but the majority are probably due to the quality of the chances he is creating.

Stats have to be backed up by other stats. So Xa, has to be put in context of actual assists, shot creating actions, and crosses. Like no of passes has to be looked at with pass completion, progressive passes, and key passes.

3 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

True but if you play a pass that give a player an opportunity to shoot from an acute angle, that still adds to your expected assists.

Yes but only a small bit. That’s why we have xA of eg 0.5?

36 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

In Buendia's case the fact his Xa is so munch higher than his actual assists suggests that the opportunities he create aren't being converted. So while some of these opportunities not being taken can be due to poor finishing, but the majority are probably due to the quality of the chances he is creating.

Higher xA suggests that the chance created is of better quality but the chance isn’t taken, rather than poor quality (that would be a lower xA). 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Don't think you understand how xAs work.

59 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

I thought they quoted Man Utd £80m for him.

Would rather we worked on bringing Ferran Torres and Joao Felix in on loan with options to buy.

Sign every Torres! 

5 hours ago, Rich192 said:

Inter getting to the Champions League Final not enough to qualify as a big club? Shouldn’t bite, but this comment is absolute NONSENSE. 

Inter hardly have an outstanding squad, they have no money, a stadium that needs replacing that they can't afford, and have to get frees/loans in.

Ok they made the Champions League final this year, great. Will they do the same next year? Nope, it was a one off for that squad.

I also didn't say they weren't a big club, I said he could have joined one of the biggest clubs as second choice. To me the biggest clubs are the top 10 or so clubs in the world.

23 hours ago, MrBlack said:

The likes of Emi Martinez, Bouba Kamara, Pau Torres, and Diego Carlos are huge names. These are players that have won things, that the whole footballing world knows, that are an indicator to the prospective targets we are a serious option. 

Whilst we don't have Champions League football yet,  we do have champions league footballers.

We also have a manager that is revered by a whole host of players, and I'm certain we can thank that angle for signing Pau Torres. 

Any target that is serious about the football, and not just the money,  will be an option for us.

I think a bigger surprise than Pau is on the cards. 

good post, that....I agree.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ChicagoVillan1983 said:

Come to Villa, wait a season, simples

Very optimistic. I would be happy if we finished in the Europa League places.

It is hard to consistently get into those top 6 places.

1 minute ago, paul514 said:

I guarantee you Emery will be telling his players that Champions League qualification is the objective THIS season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, maqroll said:

I guarantee you Emery will be telling his players that Champions League qualification is the objective THIS season.

I would hope so, I hope he achieves it!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Depends how much we put in to winning the conference. I can’t see both a long cup run and a strong league finish. It’s just way too many games.