Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

59 minutes ago, Frodo said:

I believe he was or is our number 1 target this summer for the winger/wide forward. 

With the addition of Monchi and his over 700 world wide scouting network we could now be casting the net wider

PSG will be without Messi, Mbappe and Neymar next season. They'll be a good team, but won't get anywhere near a CL.
They have all the money in the world, but then so do the Saudis and their league isn't that much weaker! 

PSG will always struggle to attract the best players unless they pay astronomical sums. Even when they do, those players would prefer to either be at Madrid/Barca or in the PL. PSG are a pathetic club. They formed in 1970 for Christ's sake. 

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Apparently Unai is " in talks " with Nico Williams.

EDIT: 3 day old news.

Forget.

Talks broke down cos he's now moving to PSG

Source: History

Edited by PieFacE
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Isn't Kone another CM? Can't imagine we'd sign another at this point. But who knows.

Well Unai did say he wants 2 strong players for every position. I’d have thought McGinn has shown he can stand in for Bouba when needed but who knows. Liverpool seem to be most strongly linked so maybe it’s agent talk. Is it Collomosse? Then might be something to get interested in. 

edit - it’s David Kent - no idea who he is. 

Edited by villaglint

3 minutes ago, villaglint said:

Well Unai did say he wants 2 strong players for every position. I’d have thought McGinn has shown he can stand in for Bouba when needed but who knows. Liverpool seem to be most strongly linked so maybe it’s agent talk. Is it Collomosse? Then might be something to get interested in. 

nah it's not, smells like bs to me

• Like 1

I think another midfielder is possible if Dendoncker leaves as none of our other back up midfielders can do what he can do, they're not similar players, and we need someone like that because if Kamara is out the team we then don't have any other midfielders who's speciality is the defensive side of the game, I guess Chambers could do that job, but we don't really want a player playing a makeshit position as second choice to Kamara, so if Dendoncker leaves I think us signing another DM is possible, maybe Bamba from Vitoria more likely than Manu Kone though.

• Like 1

I really wish I better understood the anatomy of how transfer information and "links" operate and get to the press and Villatwitter. @MSvillain tells me the Spanish and French clubs "leak like a sieve," and fair enough, but there also seems to be a fully firing 12-cylinder engine of bullshit that follows Aston Villa's recruitment team around at the moment, and I still can't help but wonder how our own club might be not the best in keeping a lid on information?????

The pattern of Villa-linked-to-X Player-Huge-Clubs-Swoops-on-X-Player is ... so ... ****-ing ... annoying, and it does seem be happening depressingly often. I guess I had imagined that people like Robert Mackenzie and his crew were only second to GCHQ in secrecy, but I'm sure I must misunderstand how scouting/recruitment works because every single testicle-twitch of our process seems to get projected onto the world. It wouldn't be the first time I had it all wrong.

I wish I could see a Villatwitter/VillaPress/Recruitment Team information "flow chart." At the moment, my chart sort of looks like this ...

giphy.gif

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Haha 1

A pivot rotation of Dougie, Bouba, Youri and Kone would be crazy good. With McGinn to fill in when needed if we have injuries. Our midfield would look scary good, I mean it still looks scary good without Kone being mentioned.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Do you have a name in mind? 50m would still get a worse keeper. 

Not a clue no, Brentford are looking for 40 million for Raya. There’s noise around diogo costa moving and he’d probably cost the same if not more but other than distribution I don’t know if he’s an upgrade on anything else that Emi provides. Ideally we don’t sell him, ever. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Not a clue no, Brentford are looking for 40 million for Raya. There’s noise around diogo costa moving and he’d probably cost the same if not more but other than distribution I don’t know if he’s an upgrade on anything else that Emi provides. Ideally we don’t sell him, ever. 

Indeed, I just worry that if we don't get top 4 next season then Martinez might feel it's now or never for him to play Champions League football so we need to have a plan.  I wouldn't mind spending a bit on a young keeper like Mamardashvili or perhaps Bazunu and loan them back for 6 months/a season.  I wouldn't want to be scrambling round for a goalkeeper at short notice.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I really wish I better understood the anatomy of how transfer information and "links" operate and get to the press and Villatwitter. @MSvillain tells me the Spanish and French clubs "leak like a sieve," and fair enough, but there also seems to be a fully firing 12-cylinder engine of bullshit that follows Aston Villa's recruitment team around at the moment, and I still can't help but wonder how our own club might be not the best in keeping a lid on information?????

The pattern of Villa-linked-to-X Player-Huge-Clubs-Swoops-on-X-Player is ... so ... ****-ing ... annoying, and it does seem be happening depressingly often. I guess I had imagined that people like Robert Mackenzie and his crew were only second to GCHQ in secrecy, but I'm sure I must misunderstand how scouting/recruitment works because every single testicle-twitch of our process seems to get projected onto the world. It wouldn't be the first time I had it all wrong.

Tbf it's more than likely that most of these links are just downright fabrications for players we have zero interest in. 24/7 football social media journalism is an extremely oversaturated market and there are way too many journalists out there who are doing nothing but making crap up that sounds relatively feasible enough. Kone is 100% one of these: one look at our squad and it makes absolutely zero sense, given how we're arguably overloaded on CMs, so there's a very good chance that it's just fabricated nonsense: especially as it hasn't been done by Collomosse but a generic Mail journo. Us, Brighton and Newcastle get these sort of nonsensical links a lot due to our status as knocking on the door of elites.

Another example is, Ugarte: not a single Villa journalist with an ounce of reliability said that we were interested in him. Portuguese media strung out this whole saga between us and Spurs for weeks, while it turned out to be Chelsea and PSG!

I think a good tell to spot whether a journalist is unreliable and clearly making crap up is (other than the likes of Ornstein/Fabrizio) if they mysteriously have contacts that allow them to have information about transfers all over Europe. Unless you're at the top that's just not how it works. Bonus points if they never actually break exclusives themselves but coincidentally manage to obtain and publish additional 'information' about transfer links an hour/two after they're first broke. I'm looking at Konur and a loooot of Spanish outlets.

Buzz phrases that actually mean nothing like "keeping tabs on" or "monitoring" is another big one, as it's a great way to link a club to a player without actually committing to anything.

Compare the ruckus and the noise of the players linked this summer to the one deal that we actually got done this window: Tielemans. Other than the actual ITK who knew Tieleman's wife (which is quite a rare circumstance which a recruitment team can't account for), there was nothing more than a Gregg link a week before the signing and an Ornstein confirmation 30 minutes before it was officially announced. The media process for the deals that we actually get done are like night and day compared to the noise.

Edited by wishywashy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1