Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

56 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Nobody is. Tammy makes no sense for us. We need a left footed right forward who can play centrally too if needed. 

Tammy can't play with Watkins

Yes we need someone to play wide, but despite Watkins having that run of form, I wouldn’t be surprised if Emery wants another main striker to play instead of Watkins.

• Like 2

I feel we are at the calm before the storm, with all the ambitious targets on and off the pitch that have nearly come off, or are about to in the case of Monchi, I genuinely think we just need that Robinho type signing that Man City had to kick it all off.
Not in the sense of that individual, just a signing that everyone sits up and takes note of, and other players take note of when thinking of joining us.

For that reason I can see a Pau Torres type signing. A name and player rated highly across the whole continent.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, DevonIsAPlaceOnEarth said:

I feel we are at the calm before the storm, with all the ambitious targets on and off the pitch that have nearly come off, or are about to in the case of Monchi, I genuinely think we just need that Robinho type signing that Man City had to kick it all off.
Not in the sense of that individual, just a signing that everyone sits up and takes note of, and other players take note of when thinking of joining us.

For that reason I can see a Pau Torres type signing. A name and player rated highly across the whole continent.

Coutinho was meant to be that man. 

24 minutes ago, DevonIsAPlaceOnEarth said:

spacer.png

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

To be fair it was some potentially good signings, even Ayew could be added to that. The issue was is that we’ve been relying on Benteke and Delph, once they left it’s totally different. Under Smith we’ve had two teams, one with Grealish and one without. With Grealish=European form, without him=relegation form. Same was in the Championship, with Grealish=Title form, without him=Midtable at best.

With the lack of management, especially when your tactics depend on one or two players, then you’ll fall badly. The issue wasn’t getting new players, but the spine of the team leaving. 

Traore, Veretout, Gana, Amavi and Ayew are better than many players we had in those years. They just happen to come when our main players leaving, clueless manager who only can use tactics on one or two players.

Look at Emery now, you can’t even decide who’s our best player? You could pick 7 and argue who improved more? At the same time, you don’t see a proper star apart from Martinez who you’d think some of the big teams will come and we’re in danger of them leaving.

Ayew / Gestede were a massive drop in quality on what was there before.

I think the point still remains that integrating the players that came in wasn't the issue - the issue was that the recruitment was rudderless, the team became hugely unbalanced, we replaced the spine of our team with inferior options and our manager was an idiot.  By the time we get to integrating players we're so far down the list of **** ups that season that it is barely relevant.

Whereas, I think now we could bring in a similar number of players (but we won't) and integrate them quicker because - we have a manager / recruitment team who know what type of players they want, we have a coaching team who appear to know how to train players and get the best out of them, we have a manager who is tactically astute and (by all accounts) an excellent people person too, we aren't about to lose the spine of our team, we've actually got some balance to the squad (or at least the manager has found a way to provide the balance) and we aren't replacing a whole section of our team.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I don't see what relevance that is....it’s just my suspicion anyway fwiw.

I wasn’t having a go, I’m just surprised that Carney isn’t a lot younger. I hold your posts with the utmost respect TRO

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I wasn’t having a go, I’m just surprised that Carney isn’t a lot younger. I hold your posts with the utmost respect TRO

Thats very kind.... but I must apologise, (I didn't take it as you was having a go) If I came across a bit terse.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gwi1890 said:

No brainier 

Yeah, no brainer to pass on.  He's 32 and not impressive.  No idea why everyone is so obsessed with signing players from the relegated sides. 

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Yeah, no brainer to pass on.  He's 32 and not impressive.  No idea why everyone is so obsessed with signing players from the relegated sides. 

because they have some good players....

• Like 2

It’s going to be expensive (we’ll need an expert negotiator) and I have no idea if he would be interested but… Joao Felix is not exactly settled or even highly sought after(?).

Would certainly be a “bold” move and statement signing, would signal our intentions and ambitions while strengthening our attack significantly… would be a super signing for us I feel and would fit in to the side.

Unai was apparently interested before he went on loan to Chelsea… let’s bring him to the Villa and build our side around him…. we could give the lad the home he needs and the place to truly shine, huge talent.

After re-reading Purslow’s comments regarding our summer activity… I just feel like we might be more ambitious and spend more heavily then many may seem to assume perhaps… apparently we aren’t as hindered in terms of our transfer activity as we were previously… 

Playing for our manager has to be a major draw too as well as the trajectory we are on… it’s a great place to be…

• Like 2

I’m not completely writing off players from relegated teams but those seem to have been the predominant links or rumours recently (mostly BS probably but it’s difficult to tell sometimes) and they don’t exactly scream “ambition” or “major intent”. We do like to keep our cards close to our chest… I’m sure we have some exciting targets we are pursuing… not just PL/British based players…

3 minutes ago, DevonIsAPlaceOnEarth said:

Genuinely think this is right, but misjudged as most people saw Coutinho as washed up by then.

Most Villa fans I know didnt want him signed full time. He had some good games on loan but looked an absolute showder of himself physically. He was an expensive punt by Gerrard.

The greatest thing now is we wont be taking punts on players hoping it comes off, we may sign people that are expensive but Emery wont allow passengers in hope. Letting Young go is massive show of where Emery is at. 

For some of the above Pau Torres isnt that marquee signing however highly rated he is, it would be an attacker, could be Williams, could be Goncalves for the Premier League it would be Maddison. 

• Like 1

Rodrigo would be a strange signing, has been very inconsistent for Leeds despite his goal tally looking okay this season, was signed as a striker but hasn't really worked out there hence Bamford still being Leeds No.9, they tried him in all other sorts of other positons, winger, No.10, central midfield, but hasn't looked convincing in any of them, Leeds fans don't rate him at all.

He's apparently on £100k a week too, would probably want that and maybe more if transfer fee was to be as low as £3m, so would still end up costing tens of millions, would essentially undo the good work we did in selling Ings but for a player who it's quesionable if he's as good as Ings and is actually older; have seen Leeds fans speculate that they wouldn't be surprised if he was another that went to Saudi.

Only Leeds players worth considering are Gnonto and Summerville if we need additional winger option to Nico Williams or whichever elite winger we sign, and Tyler Adams has been very good for them too, far and away their best player, no surprise also being linked to Forest, Newcastle and Brighton, I doubt we will sign any of them though for various reasons.

• Like 2