Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

5 minutes ago, Beastmix said:

Barnes is a quality player, playing is a dreadful team. Stick him in some random southern european team's squad and change his name to Javier Barnez and some fans would be on their knees for the board to sign them up.

wouldnt want him if his name was Javier Barnez.

Call him Ashlado Barninho and im 100% on board tho.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, PeterSw said:

Barnes would be a great squad option if the price is right.

Yeah, I like Barnes, also, proven, should hit the ground running from Day 1 as well.....  give us that option of pace, width and goals from wide, can drop in either side or even centrally - think hed fit nicely..........

9 minutes ago, Adbo9 said:

Yeah, I like Barnes, also, proven, should hit the ground running from Day 1 as well.....  give us that option of pace, width and goals from wide, can drop in either side or even centrally - think hed fit nicely..........

Hes got 12 premier league goals this season in a relegation type team. It's more goal output than all our midfielders/forwards bar Watkins.

1 minute ago, turvontour said:

Hes got 12 premier league goals this season in a relegation type team. It's more goal output than all our midfielders/forwards bar Watkins.

But where does he fit in our team? Not sure he could play that deeper left sided role Ramsey plays, and not sure he'd be as effective on the right.  We'd have to change our system to accommodate him.

1 minute ago, KAZZAM said:

Harvey Barnes is a brilliant player but I'm not sure where a left sided winger plays under Unai's formation. Unless he tweaks it ofc. 

Considering Gerrard binned off the concept of wingers outside of Bailey I don't think we can be 100% that the set-up will remain absolutely the same and that there isn't a place for a naturally left-sided player.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KAZZAM said:

Harvey Barnes is a brilliant player but I'm not sure where a left sided winger plays under Unai's formation. Unless he tweaks it ofc. 

my thought is he brings something to the group we havent got - he wont play every game, but i think hed play predominantly off the left, or come in to play in and around watkins for some games

Also, when we have the personnel, Unai could change things up for certain games - he plays the way we play now as those are the players hes got - he wants to be flexible for certain games

Barnes would find a place and wed find a place for him

15 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Let’s play a game! 

Budget/value/wages aren’t an issue. They’re immaterial for the purpose of this exercise.

You’ve got 4 to pick. Who are you choosing…

P. Torres
Lee Kang In
F. Torres
M. Asensio
P. Goncalves
H. Barnes
M. Ugarte
Guendouzi
N. Williams
D. Ceballos
Lo Celso
A. Buena
M. Merino
Y. Pino

(I’m sure I’ve forgotten more)…

If I had to choose based purely on your list, and those we've been linked to:

1. Matteo Guendouzi - Want above all else. I don't think there's a better squad fit of a player out there right now. Just increases the options and quality of squad depth in 3 different positions with 1 signing.

2. Nico Williams - Not even 21 yet. Could, could, become elite. Think he has all the attributes to thrive in the Premier League. Could play either the right sided midfield or withdrawn/right sided striker role.

3. Aaron Wan Bissaka - The "island" right back that I believe Emery wants in his system. Entrust him in 1v1 situations which he will be a lot of the time with the players in front of him on the right side being. I feel this is slightly harsh on Cash though. It'll be interesting to see what happens at this position in the summer.

4. Lee Kang-In. This could've been Goncalves or Alberto Moleiro. Just another forward minded player who is good at progressing the ball either via passing or dribbling, who still has room to develop.

• Like 1

I think we are looking at more technically minded, dynamic wingers who can play across the wings. Kang-in Lee can play out wide (though mostly as a left winger) or as a 10, Nico Williams can play on the right or cut inside. I imagine we will be looking at more versatile players to suit specific roles Unai wants. Barnes strikes me as for all his ability someone who is a square peg in our system. Too one dimensional positionally. 

Edited by The_Steve
  • Like 1

Quick question

Harvey Barnes or Ferran Torres 👀

as some have stated torres isn’t that good and in the same breath saying barnes is decent.

Personally im not that excited by barnes, id like us to sign someone that id feel confident will push us into that top 5 in the new season , not saying barnes isn’t great but when i play man citys and united i want to feel charged up and ready to go with confidence throughout the whole team

2 minutes ago, RicRic said:

Quick question

as some have stated torres isn’t that good and in the same breath saying barnes is decent.

Personally im not that excited by barnes, id like us to sign someone that id feel confident will push us into that top 5 in the new season , not saying barnes isn’t great but when i play man citys and united i want to feel charged up and ready to go with confidence throughout the whole team

Torres - really good player, much higher ceiling

5 minutes ago, RicRic said:

Quick question

Harvey Barnes - 25 years old, 1 international cap, 0 goals

Ferran Torres - 23 years old, 35 international caps, 15 goals

I don't even know how this is a question...

But then people say that 12 goals in 39 PL matches is exceptional but 9 goals in 28 is bang average.

Before anyone says but Barnes has scored 12 for a team that are probably going to get relegated - just remember that Leicester and Villa have scored the exact same number of goals this season.  Leicester's issue all season has been their defence (they have conceded 22 more goals than us - which is 50% more) not their attack.

40 minutes ago, allani said:

Harvey Barnes - 25 years old, 1 international cap, 0 goals

Ferran Torres - 23 years old, 35 international caps, 15 goals

I don't even know how this is a question...

But then people say that 12 goals in 39 PL matches is exceptional but 9 goals in 28 is bang average.

Before anyone says but Barnes has scored 12 for a team that are probably going to get relegated - just remember that Leicester and Villa have scored the exact same number of goals this season.  Leicester's issue all season has been their defence (they have conceded 22 more goals than us - which is 50% more) not their attack.

If its a case of silly question on my behalf, just to point i have stated in there that some have said barnes and no to Ferran , so wanted to get an overview on who everyone would prefer. 

And yes i agree it looks a silly question as ferran is way clear of barnes in my opinion 

Nico Williams 🇪🇸 and Ferran Torres🇪🇸  are the two we MUST sign for our frontline, we need to snap up both. 

Edited by RicRic
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, thabucks said:

Leicester have been linked with Archer so could do a deal with £££ for Barnes. We cannot just buy foreign players however glamour is they sound 

I will be really upset if archer isn’t given a go here.

also there is loads of other positions we could buy home grown in.

I'd be happy with either of them.  Maybe even both considering how bad our depth is in attacking positions.  Torres could fill in through the middle if Ollie got injured couldn't he?  I think we need a player that can normally play off Ollie but cover up front when needed plus a winger as well.

• Thanks 1