Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

7 minutes ago, sne said:

The top teams are at least mid table PL. Depending on season as they get bought to pieces on a seasonal basis. Great scouting and good academies.

There is a massive drop in quality from the big 3 + Braga.  Sporting in 4th are 20 points ahead of 5th 🤣

3 minutes ago, duke313 said:

There is a massive drop in quality from the big 3 + Braga.  Sporting in 4th are 20 points ahead of 5th 🤣

Yup. Benfica, Sporting, Porto and occasionally some other team is where the quality is. Like every league apart from the PL there is no money outside the top few.

Just now, sne said:

Yup. Benfica, Sporting, Porto and occasionally some other team is where the quality is. Like every league apart from the PL there is no money outside the top few.

I work with some guys from Lisbon and they were telling me that everyone supports one of the big 3 and then has a local team as a second team.  

Anyway back on topic, sign all the Spanish speaking players!

1 minute ago, sne said:

Athletic Bilbao on course to maybe miss out on Europe might open up some possibilities. 

Their players are always expensive, they usually always sell players for their release clause value.

• Like 1

How big of a factor do you all think qualifying for Europe is? 

I know it’s often sold as something that’s a big sell to players, and I’m absolutely not downplaying the conference league, I hope to god we get it. 

But is the conference league prestigious enough to have an effect?  Imo it isn’t, the PL, the salary and a world class manager is more of a pull, that’s why I think (rightly or wrongly that we will be more appealing than say a Brighton in the summer) but intrested in what you lot think. 

2 hours ago, av1 said:

I know it’s often sold as something that’s a big sell to players, and I’m absolutely not downplaying the conference league, I hope to god we get it. 

But is the conference league prestigious enough to have an effect?  Imo it isn’t, the PL, the salary and a world class manager is more of a pull, that’s why I think (rightly or wrongly that we will be more appealing than say a Brighton in the summer) but intrested in what you lot think. 

Read a theory it's designed to keep clubs that would be challenging the UCL placings out of reach by having them play in an inconsequential tournament travelling across Europe midweek.

I don't know and even in my ignorance I don't feel a certain way about that idea, I like the prospect of joining other European clubs that are supposedly at a level or thereabouts. I thought I'd share for anyone who wants to explore further.

Edited by A'Villan

9 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Read a theory it's designed to keep clubs that would be challenging the UCL placings out of reach by having them play in an inconsequential tournament travelling across Europe midweek.

I don't know and even in my ignorance I don't feel a certain way about that idea, I like the prospect of joining other European clubs that are supposedly at a level or thereabouts. I thought I'd share for anyone who wants to explore further.

That makes no sense. 

5 hours ago, av1 said:

At Minimum: I think it's £20m more in the coffers for us and more playing time for players

Most likely: it helps seal the deal between us and a similar club. Or it's at least not something we're missing Vs another club on the continent for players who are undecided.

6 hours ago, duke313 said:

That makes no sense. 

The Europa and Europa Conference leagues if that wasn't clear. It kind of does. I don't think there's much to it but I can see the logic behind the suggestion. 

10 hours ago, av1 said:

I think the problem with the question is it’s too general.  

Each player will be different in their assessment criteria of evaluating their next club.

With that in mind, an above average player may turn us down because we have no European football but an elite player may accept because he wants to work with Emery for example.  Another footballer may see us as a quality stepping stone.  Another who wants to play in the PL and we are the best option.  Things like family, friends they already have in our squad, our project, salary, influence of agents, age etc.  it just depends out of all the factors an individual player considers important.  

So the generalisation of impact of us getting Europe or not on transfer activity is a little hard to answer, it will be very much down to individual criteria of the player.  We certainly aren’t getting the elite of the elite but the rest will be a case by case basis.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1