Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

I would like to get Guendouzi in for definite, ive heard that Xhaka is available, possibly this summer but more likely next, reckon he would add some "bite" and experience to our midfield. Dosen't have to play every game but probably able to get on a free when his contract expires and has done quite well for Arsenal under Arteta, seems to have matured since he gave the middle finger to the fans who were booing him a few years back. I think that is the type of smart addition Emery will look to make. Not sure if he got on with him during their arsenal days? But seems he likes and rates Guendouzi and those 2 will have played together too

12 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

I would like to get Guendouzi in for definite, ive heard that Xhaka is available, possibly this summer but more likely next, reckon he would add some "bite" and experience to our midfield. Dosen't have to play every game but probably able to get on a free when his contract expires and has done quite well for Arsenal under Arteta, seems to have matured since he gave the middle finger to the fans who were booing him a few years back. I think that is the type of smart addition Emery will look to make. Not sure if he got on with him during their arsenal days? But seems he likes and rates Guendouzi and those 2 will have played together too

Xhaka?! Have you been sniffing glue? 🤣

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lexicon said:

Xhaka?! Have you been sniffing glue? 🤣

5 goals 7 assists this season in the premier league, 2 goals in the europa league too. only 5 yellow cards and 0 reds which surprised me. Think he can add value on a free!

56 minutes ago, burchy said:

It’s funny how we all see players differently, see I’d be saying Goncalves and Vanderson are wonderful players but I’m not convinced by Nico Williams.

For me, in order, I think we should go…

Starter- RB/CB - Timber or A. Silva £45m

Starter- RW/SS - Goncalves £35m

Starter - RM - Szboszlai or Otavio £50m

Starter - LM - Lee Kang-In £18m

Starter/Comp - CM - Kokcu £35m

Chuck in a ST (Openda) and a younger CBL (Inacio) and that would be perfect. Not asking for much am I?!?

Otavio AND kang-In no sir we will need some height and strength for power

51 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

Xhaka ? Lets not be silly now 😂 dont want that ‘red card every match’ meathead anyway he can stay where he is.

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, burchy said:

It’s funny how we all see players differently, see I’d be saying Goncalves and Vanderson are wonderful players but I’m not convinced by Nico Williams.

For me, in order, I think we should go…

Starter- RB/CB - Timber or A. Silva £45m

Starter- RW/SS - Goncalves £35m

Starter - RM - Szboszlai or Otavio £50m

Starter - LM - Lee Kang-In £18m

Starter/Comp - CM - Kokcu £35m

Chuck in a ST (Openda) and a younger CBL (Inacio) and that would be perfect. Not asking for much am I?!?

I feel the standard of the Portuguese league isn't that high. Stuff he can do there he wouldn't be able to do in the Premier league.

Also think he will struggle with the physicality here.

Williams looks durable and quick, plus plays with his head up.

Timber is a huge talent.

Szboszlai doesn't convince me. Kang-in doesn't either. Kokcu looks slow, but seems to have a low centre of gravity. The Dutch league isn't great. Not sold on him either. The three of them could easily flop. But  of the 3 Kokcu could be amazing or flop. Kang-in doesn't seem like an improvement on any of our attackers. Szbloszlai seems like a foreign ward-prowse only his set piece ability is anything special. 

Openda isn't a better prospect then Archer for me. Inacio is interesting I like him, but then he is a favourite of mine on football manager!

For me only Timber is a safe bet. The rest are expensive and high risk. Quality players, but not convinced they are capable of the same level in the Premier league.

40 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

I feel the standard of the Portuguese league isn't that high. Stuff he can do there he wouldn't be able to do in the Premier league.

Also think he will struggle with the physicality here.

Williams looks durable and quick, plus plays with his head up.

Timber is a huge talent.

Szboszlai doesn't convince me. Kang-in doesn't either. Kokcu looks slow, but seems to have a low centre of gravity. The Dutch league isn't great. Not sold on him either. The three of them could easily flop. But  of the 3 Kokcu could be amazing or flop. Kang-in doesn't seem like an improvement on any of our attackers. Szbloszlai seems like a foreign ward-prowse only his set piece ability is anything special. 

Openda isn't a better prospect then Archer for me. Inacio is interesting I like him, but then he is a favourite of mine on football manager!

For me only Timber is a safe bet. The rest are expensive and high risk. Quality players, but not convinced they are capable of the same level in the Premier league.

If budget was no issue I’d have Goncalves at LM instead of Kang-In and then look to try and get someone like Asensio or Dybala or Felix for the SS role, perhaps supported by a young pacey RW purchase too. 

I’m just not sure we have the budget though.

As for Kokcu, he’s a 90mins, game after game midfield terrier so I think he’d definitely be able to cut it in the premier league.

So was there anything in the Asensio stuff or has it been rubbished?

Are we just one of many teams who will be used to get him a bumper new deal?

Getting him on a free would be Kamara level of astute business wouldn't it?

7 hours ago, TRO said:

our summer transfer strategy should be.....look over Brightons shoulder and nip in.

We should be looking at a level above the people that Brighton are signing.  They are hoping to find replacements for all the players they will probably lose this summer but it might take them a couple of seasons to break through.  We will be looking for players who can improve the first team straight away.  Would be happy with a couple of Brighton-esque signings but we need 2 or 3 players who will be Top 6 / 7 level from the day they arrive.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, allani said:

We should be looking at a level above the people that Brighton are signing.  They are hoping to find replacements for all the players they will probably lose this summer but it might take them a couple of seasons to break through.  We will be looking for players who can improve the first team straight away.  Would be happy with a couple of Brighton-esque signings but we need 2 or 3 players who will be Top 6 / 7 level from the day they arrive.

But mainly our transfer policy should be - identify the positions / roles that Emery wants in order to improve our squad, get Lange to identify players that meet the brief, then go through Alemany little black book to find even better players in each of the identified positions and sell the Villa dream to them. 😉

Edited by allani
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, TRO said:

our summer transfer strategy should be.....look over Brightons shoulder and nip in.

James Milner

Joao Pedro

Reiss Nelson

seemingly so far. Wonder where we'd finish next season if we'd signed those three first up next month....!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Villatillidie95 said:

5 goals 7 assists this season in the premier league, 2 goals in the europa league too. only 5 yellow cards and 0 reds which surprised me. Think he can add value on a free!

Been linked to Bayer Leverkusen today. Think they'll beat Roma so they have chance of playing CL next season which I think would tempt him especially as he's played in Bundesliga before.

One who I'd think would be another top quality addition would be someone like Kovacic but again we'd have to make europe to have any chance and Bayern Munich are very keen so that's always the issue signing established players at top clubs.

@Zatman, always respect your opinion, what do you and others think of Fati? You still sceptical of Becker from Union Berlin? And do you think we could ever get someone like Xavi Simons? These are all players I like. Set me straight.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

4 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

So was there anything in the Asensio stuff or has it been rubbished?

Are we just one of many teams who will be used to get him a bumper new deal?

Getting him on a free would be Kamara level of astute business wouldn't it?

Gregg evans and the Madrid correspondent for the athletic ran the story, can imagine there was something in it 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Gregg evans and the Madrid correspondent for the athletic ran the story, can imagine there was something in it 

Yeah but they were at pains to say he wants to stay at Madrid and is expected to sign a new contract 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RicRic said:

Xhaka ? Lets not be silly now 😂 dont want that ‘red card every match’ meathead anyway he can stay where he is.

4 red cards in 222 games. Kienan Davies has 3 goals in 73 league appearances, so by your standards he's basically goal-a-game.

Moot point since he won't come here anyway, but he's a quality player.

7 hours ago, burchy said:

If budget was no issue I’d have Goncalves at LM instead of Kang-In and then look to try and get someone like Asensio or Dybala or Felix for the SS role, perhaps supported by a young pacey RW purchase too. 

I’m just not sure we have the budget though.

As for Kokcu, he’s a 90mins, game after game midfield terrier so I think he’d definitely be able to cut it in the premier league.

For me, I look at that list in the first post and see close to £200m of a lot of risk and not convinced by most of them.  

We need quality in but spreading it so thin seems too much risk on relative unknowns at PL quality level.  

I’d rather buy half the number of players but better quality as you suggest in this last comment, just whether the higher quality would come to us.  

I’m not sure spending close £200m of the players in the first list would be wise, better to have a mix of high risks and not so high risks even if you have to pay a bit more.  

We aren’t going to solve every issue in the team in one transfer window.

• Like 1

I don't think Asensio would be worth the money we'd end up paying him.

He's not at the level of someone like Kamara, plus he'll be coming from Real instead of a Marseille. That means £200k+ a week for him to even glance this way.

We can pay that for the right player, I don't think he is.