maqroll

1 hour ago, AshVilla said:

How much would it cost i wonder?

Pau Torres - 30m

Ferran Torres - 50m

Guendouzi - 40m

Vlahovic - 50m

AWB - 20m

Doable within our so called tweeted "unlimited budget" of 200m euro's.

50m for Vlahovic? Try doubling it 🤣

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Condimentalist said:

Why would we sign Pau Torres? We know Unai likes to have a left footer at LCB, and replacing Mings would be a truly stupid use of cash. 

Makes even less sense considering Mings signed a new contract just 3 months ago. Emery clearly highly rates Mings, and there's not going to be a CB signed with intent to replace him. It's just typical poor Italian sports journalism (which is filled with even more lies than the Spanish/English football media)

They'll probably leave the CB situation to see how Carlos plays/trains over the coming months. If he maintains the skillset (particularly on the ball qualities) that he had at Sevilla he could be very, very useful. At a push, I could see a right-sided CB signed if Chambers or Konsa leave. But Pau Torres just doesn't make sense.

Edited by wishywashy
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, duke313 said:

18 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Edit double post

Well played :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I was hoping this is where Alemany comes in.

The shrewd negotiator that can work miracles.

Its no secret that Juve are in a bit of a pickle FFP wise, maybe we can capitalise on this and have their trousers down.

Edited by AshVilla

Mings was the first person most of VillaTalk wanted replaced when Emery showed up at Villa Park but he's been incredible so far under the Spaniard.  He's probably the last position you'd think we'd prioritize the summer, but I thought left back was quite a way down the priority list in January and look how much Moreno has transformed us since.  Pau Torres for 30 million pounds is an incredible value and is a very different type of central defender to what we have in Mings/Konsa/Carlos.  He's a faster Chambers that is much better on the ball than most of our squad who could be an incredible bargain under Emery's leadership again.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Mings was the first person most of VillaTalk wanted replaced when Emery showed up at Villa Park but he's been incredible so far under the Spaniard.  He's probably the last position you'd think we'd prioritize the summer, but I thought left back was quite a way down the priority list in January and look how much Moreno has transformed us since.  Pau Torres for 30 million pounds is an incredible value and is a very different type of central defender to what we have in Mings/Konsa/Carlos.  He's a faster Chambers that is much better on the ball than most of our squad who could be an incredible bargain under Emery's leadership again.  

I could be wrong, but i just dont think that is true at all.

Yes, some people/quite a few questioned his mistakes/lapses in concentration, but to say he was the first player most VT'ers wanted replaced, i think is just not true at all, there were many players ahead of Mings on the list for the hardline "get him replaced" thing.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I don't see Vlahovic leaving Juve so soon at a cut rate, especially now that he's starting to find his feet again.  He has struggled a lot at times this season, but still has 10 goals and 2 assists in 25 league games, which is still a decent return, all things considered.  

2 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Not me, I've been very vocal of my admiration for Mings. A few others were too...

He's also improved, plays the ball out of defence well and runs out when the option to pass is not there. He is surprisingly quick with the ball at his feet too which takes opposition players by surprise it would seem.

Sure CB players have errors in them, they all do.

I'd like to see him partnered with Carlos as I think the two of them could be solid yet also capable of playing out from the back.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Condimentalist said:

Why would we sign Pau Torres? We know Unai likes to have a left footer at LCB, and replacing Mings would be a truly stupid use of Cash. 

Yeah, I wouldn't be putting Cash at centre back either.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I reckon we'll bring in 4 players of first team quality, with 3 overhauling that right hand side. But Emery will sign who he wants, probably in positions we don't expect.

Dumfries would be an exceptional pickup, by the way. Shame the rumour has to come from crap Italian football journalism, but he'd revolutionise that right-hand side just like Moreno has. A possession-oriented midfielder like Guendouzi, a midfielder-winger hybrid like Goncalves, and another forward will completely change the dynamics of our on-the-ball play. The return of Carlos will be a godsend, too.

Some on Twitter were up in arms demanding an overhaul of 7/8 players after the Wolves loss. The past few months have proven that the squad is good enough in many aspects, especially defensively. The last thing you want to do when you're looking to build on an season with upwards momentum is to tear the spine out and do yet *another* squad rebuild. That is daft.

Edited by wishywashy
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Not me, I've been very vocal of my admiration for Mings. A few others were too...

He's also improved, plays the ball out of defence well and runs out when the option to pass is not there. He is surprisingly quick with the ball at his feet too which takes opposition players by surprise it would seem.

Sure CB players have errors in them, they all do.

I'd like to see him partnered with Carlos as I think the two of them could be solid yet also capable of playing out from the back.

9 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

I could be wrong, but i just dont think that is true at all.

Yes, some people/quite a few questioned his mistakes/lapses in concentration, but to say he was the first player most VT'ers wanted replaced, i think is just not true at all, there were many players ahead of Mings on the list for the hardline "get him replaced" thing.

Believe me, I love him too, but McGinn and Mings were public enemies number 1 & 2 when Emery came into the club.

I just flipped back through the early Emery days of the January transfer thread and there was a lot of celebrating "McGinn's last season" because he'd apparently be found out under Emery and lots of people crying out for Pau Torres to replace Mings so we'd have a much more solid Carlos/Torres partnership.

Focussing on our back line I thin Mings and Carlos will be our preferred partnership, with Konsa supporting. 

For me we need a support CBL that can push Mings, perhaps Konsa’s age or slightly younger that can get better and better and ultimately replace Mings moving forward. 

I’ve mentioned Inacio before but someone like him or Lukeba at Lyon would be a good fit. 

I think for me though the main back line conundrum is the RB/CB position. 

Other posters have already mentioned Mings and Carlos’s ability to play out from the back. If we got a player like Timber at Ajax in then we’d have a solid defensive back three that are all excellent on the ball.

Timber would cost a fair bit but him, Carlos (Konsa) and Mings (supported by Inacio - if we had the extra funds) would be immense. 

• Like 1

We finally saw what many of us had expected to happen with Carlos coming on against wolves. Konsa was shifted to right back and covered a defence minded right back role quite well.

We also saw a trademark cross field long ball from Carlos that found our left winger in loads of space.

I see that being a more regular go to if Carlos does get back to his peak ability.

Hopefully we get to see it for a full game or two before the end of the season, but I think it could make the right back position far less of a priority than I thought it was. 

Could free up more money for those key attacking positions we're lacking in. 

• Like 1