Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

12 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Think at 21, its time to play him or sell him.

I think he deserves a chance. But I don't think it's a s black and white as this. He's had a couple of successful loans and the important thing is he's getting games. Tammy Abraham was on loan at us at 21 and was so prolific for us he earned his shot at Chelsea, Archer isn't there yet. As long as he's getting games and minutes and developing that is fine.

If he was 21 and on loan and only a bit-part player, I'd agree. Shit or get off the pot. But it's most important he's playing, and he is

Vardy made his PL debut at 27, Archer doesn't have the luxury of working his way through the leagues with us, he should develop as needed and then get the games when he's ready.

He's under contract for long enough that we don't need to rush a decision. Maybe we could sell him for £20m this summer, that's not bad. But he could be a £70m striker one day. I'd rather hold him and sell him for £10-15m in a season or two when we know he can't make it, maybe 'losing' £5-10m than sell him to early and miss out on our next homegrown star because we rushed too quick

Edited by HalfTimePost
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, duke313 said:

It would have to be an offer we can’t refuse. Was reading that we apparently used data to identify a club that would be best suited to his attributes for a loan, don’t think we’d have went to that effort if we weee just going to sell him. He’s part of the clubs long term plans.

Yeah, I don’t foresee a scenario where we sell or would a club pony up a realistic fee - nor would I want us to. He’s gonna be a great option on and off of the bench. 

• Like 1

Just now, fightoffyour said:

Yes but a contract to do what? 'cause it sure as shit ain't playing football for Aston Villa in 2023.

Who knows . I know he worked under a different budget at Villarreal but Emery signed 35 year old Jose Morales from a second division team.

• Shocked 1

2 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

I think he deserves a chance. But I don't think it's a s black and white as this. He's had a couple of successful loans and the important thing is he's getting games. Tammy Abraham was on loan at us at 21 and was so prolific for us he earned his shot at Chelsea, Archer isn't there yet. As long as he's getting games and minutes and developing that is fine.

If he was 21 and on loan and only a bit-part player, I'd agree. Shit or get off the pot. But it's most important he's playing.

Vardy made his PL debut at 27, Archer doesn't have the luxury of working his way through the leagues with us, he should develop as needed and then get the games when he's ready.

He's under contract for long enough that we don't need to rush a decision. Maybe we could sell him for £20m this summer, that's not bad. But he could be a £70m striker one day. I'd rather hold him and sell him for £10-15m in a season or two when we know he can't make it, maybe 'losing' £5-10m than sell him to early and miss out on our next homegrown star because we rushed too quick

Tammy had 25 goals in 37 (0.67 goals per game), Archer has 9 goals in 17 (0.52 goals per game), not a huge difference.  If Archer had a full season, he'd be on roughly 20 goals, not a massive difference to what Tammy got for us that season.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Digne linked with Nice in the Mail. No way that's happening they couldn't dream of affording him. Mid table French side, plus surely we don't want to be messing around with LB when it's clearly a covered position for us.

Nice are bankrolled by Jim Radcliffe and they have guys like Aaron Ramsey (who was on similar wage to Digne at Juve) and Ross Barkley in their squad. Pepe is also there from Arsenal.

Has the feel of a one year loan with us paying 50% contribution perhaps but I think that's possible.

1 hour ago, S-Platt said:

So how much we getting in the transfer war chest?

Potential income from:

5 million from Ings as it looks like West Ham are surviving.

Keinan Davis the forgotton man maybe 4 million.

Nakamba maybe 4 million

Trezeguet no idea

Archer?

Iroegbunam?

Curious what everyone thinks we will be able to generate on top of whatever else Unai is given.

I think we'll sell Bailey so that will be 15-20m. Sanson aswell for similar fee to Nakamba, couple of million and get him off the wage bill.

4 hours ago, burchy said:

I wonder if Luton come up via the play offs they’ll be interested in Marv as he seems to be doing great there at present.

As for Tim, I think he’s done enough in the first part of the season to get a lot of clubs interested in him next year, same for AJ.

Tim, top championship club, AJ promoted premier league club. Archer I’d keep and add to the squad (AJ too if we get Europe). 

Yep - it does seem like our loan system is getting better at finding the right clubs. In the past, too many got too little game time - not now. 

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

Tammy had 25 goals in 37 (0.67 goals per game), Archer has 9 goals in 17 (0.52 goals per game), not a huge difference.  If Archer had a full season, he'd be on roughly 20 goals, not a massive difference to what Tammy got for us that season.

Also - Tammy took the penalties. Got to adjust for that. I think he scored 6 - so that kinda evens it out. 

And Archer hasn't started every game, as they have the leagues highest scorer in their team, and came in during the January transfer window, so needed to get up to speed.

Different sort of players, but I think the comparison is very fair and on balance, Archer comes out very well.

• Like 1

Just now, Rustibrooks said:

I think he’s a good player, one that Emery clearly rates highly. I just hate doing business with Levy.

Hasn’t he been bang average for Spuds though?

3 minutes ago, burchy said:

Very true he has been, but I’m judging him for the last season or so he’s been quite decent for Villarreal. And I think Emery signed him when he was at PSG? (Could be wrong).

it’s still a bit of a risk however as he’s not really performed well in England.

5 minutes ago, burchy said:

Played under 5 different managers in 3 seasons, not really ideal circumstances.  Was a regular in the Villarreal team under Emery.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rustibrooks said:

The source that’s reporting our interest is apparently reliable as well, so I guess there is likely to be some truth in our interest in him. I’m assuming he would cover LM for us if he were to sign for us.

I trust Unai but I’d much rather we got a midfield like this …..

Goncalves              Otavio

Luiz         Kamara

Instead of this……

lo Celso.                Guendouzi

Luiz.         Kamara

• Like 1