Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

1 hour ago, useless said:

A deep lying playmaker is still an holding midfielder, all three of Luiz, Palhinha, and Kamara wouldn't work in Emery system, only need two holding midfielders. Point is we have two very good holding midfielders in Luiz and Kamara, and Dendcocker is a decent enough back up option, Iroegbunam can play as an holding midfielder as well or as an eight, so potentially another good option whenever he's ready.

Doug would do well in the free role off the left in this system IMO. Emery did such with coquelin I believe

Edited by The Inspiration

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He’s a deep lying midfield rather than a holding.  Haven’t seen enough of Palinha to know what he is. 

Either way I don’t think Chambers or Donk are good enough so we may need cover in this area but it’s not a priority in my opinion. 

I agree with that but point is I think if we had signed Palhinha we could have played all three (Kamara and Palhinha holding, Luiz a bit further forward). We also didn't know if Luiz was staying or going in summer, Arsenal bid three times on deadline day, then we signed Donk as a panic buy.

Either way you look at it our summer window last year wasn't great. Hopefully under a proper manager like Emery we will do much better this time around, but yes I think other positions are higher priority now given the system we play.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mic09 said:

No need for a 20m back up keeper. Get someone who's 37 and happy to play in cups. 

Invest that in the CM position. 

I say that because martinez may depart 🤐 and rates have increased 20m is the new 10m

Edited by RicRic

15 hours ago, burchy said:

ST - I think this will be a free (Dembele)

Completely forgot about this. Has anything more come out about it? Rumour was it was already agreed right?

1 hour ago, useless said:

if we sign Ibrahima Bamba as well

And this one. Could be two decent squad additions already sorted for minimal outlay.

15 minutes ago, RicRic said:

I say that because martinez may depart 🤐 and rates have increased 20m is the new 10m

I doubt we are spending anything of note on a back up. If Martinez did go, which I doubt, then we are talking first choice replacement and possibly more that £20M.

I think we're considering Sinisalo as No.2 for next season and that's why he's being named on the bench alongside Olsen, so can come on if needed and the circumstances are right and get some experience, of course some scenerios might mean that it's better to with Olsen and not throw Sinisalo into the deep end, that's the only way I can explain having two keepers on the bench.

4 minutes ago, useless said:

I think we're considering Sinisalo as No.2 for next season and that's why he's being named on the bench alongside Olsen, so can come on if needed and the circumstances are right and get some experience, of course some scenerios might mean that it's better to with Olsen and not throw Sinisalo into the deep end, that's the only way I can explain having two keepers on the bench.

Barca, Athletic Club, Betis, Girona, Mallorca just to name a few had two keepers on the bench at the weekend , it really isn’t that unusual.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, burchy said:

I think for me we’ll spend in the region of 150-180m, more if we sell Digne.

For that outlay I think we’ll go for the following (in order or priority)

£50m - RM - Otavio all day long or Guendouzi at a push.

£25-£35m - RB/CB - someone who can play both defensive fullback and CB - my suggestion would be Simikan at Leipzig or Geertruida at Feyenoord (he can also cover CDM)

£20-£30m - RW/SS - this will be someone like Nico Williams but I’d like us to take a punt on a cheaper alternative (and better one IMHO) Johan Bakayoko.

£25-£40m - LM/CAM - this might be the linked Pedro Goncalves. I’d quite like Xavi Simons but again, I might have my Fifa Wonderkid goggles on there.

£0-£55m - ST - I think this will be a free (Dembele) but would like it to be Jonathan David. Would also love it to be Gonçalo Ramos but that’s wishful thinking on my part.

I think those 5 are the priority but I think we could also do with…..

CM - we need comp/cover for Luiz - who? Have no idea. I’d like to see someone younger, perhaps Kokcu or Kephrem Thuram or Kone. Again Guendouzi might have already been earmarked for here though.

CBL - Comp/cover for Mings (Inacio at Sporting please)

LB - If we sell Digne I’d like us to go after Maatsen at Burnley (Chelsea) or Truffert at Rennes

Backup GK - have no idea on this one but would be happy with a loan but a better one than Olsen. Who’s that crazy looking keeper from Uruguay or something, played in the World Cup recently, that’d be a fun watch 🤪

I doubt it, myself. Dembele could have moved during the last window, but he hung around to maximise how much, he himself could make out of the move, rather than to start playing regular football again. Now that there is no fee to be paid, he will make big demands for both a signing on fee and wages, I think clubs who pay silly wages, will add him to their squad, just because they can.  I suspect Manchester United or Newcastle, would be more likely destinations than us.  

1 minute ago, John said:

I doubt it, myself. Dembele could have moved during the last window, but he hung around to maximise how much, he himself could make out of the move, rather than to start playing regular football again. Now that there is no fee to be paid, he will make big demands for both a signing on fee and wages, I think clubs who pay silly wages, will add him to their squad, just because they can.  I suspect Manchester United or Newcastle, would be more likely destinations than us.  

Rumour was he and his agent put plenty of suitors off in January with massive wage demands. 

• Like 1

Dembele even on modest wages isn't worth it, even on a free, Watkins is far better, and we need players to improve the 11 more than the squad. Duran and Archer are fine as squad players and both are likely to improve by quite a bit unlike Dembele who is 27 this summer.

Lyon fans say he's terrible, he most certainly won't end up at Man U or even Newcastle and I'd be very disappointed if he ended up here.

1 minute ago, Leeroy said:

Dembele even on modest wages isn't worth it, even on a free, Watkins is far better, and we need players to improve the 11 more than the squad. Duran and Archer are fine as squad players and both are likely to improve by quite a bit unlike Dembele who is 27 this summer.

Lyon fans say he's terrible, he most certainly won't end up at Man U or even Newcastle and I'd be very disappointed if he ended up here.

There were strong rumours he was going to Southampton in January so not exactly a player in demand at the top end.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John said:

I thought some other club owner had come out and said it was basically a done deal to us? And that there'd been negotiations to then sign in Jan early but couldn't agree fee with club?

17 hours ago, burchy said:

I think for me we’ll spend in the region of 150-180m, more if we sell Digne.

For that outlay I think we’ll go for the following (in order or priority)

£50m - RM - Otavio all day long or Guendouzi at a push.

£25-£35m - RB/CB - someone who can play both defensive fullback and CB - my suggestion would be Simikan at Leipzig or Geertruida at Feyenoord (he can also cover CDM)

£20-£30m - RW/SS - this will be someone like Nico Williams but I’d like us to take a punt on a cheaper alternative (and better one IMHO) Johan Bakayoko.

£25-£40m - LM/CAM - this might be the linked Pedro Goncalves. I’d quite like Xavi Simons but again, I might have my Fifa Wonderkid goggles on there.

£0-£55m - ST - I think this will be a free (Dembele) but would like it to be Jonathan David. Would also love it to be Gonçalo Ramos but that’s wishful thinking on my part.

I think those 5 are the priority but I think we could also do with…..

CM - we need comp/cover for Luiz - who? Have no idea. I’d like to see someone younger, perhaps Kokcu or Kephrem Thuram or Kone. Again Guendouzi might have already been earmarked for here though.

CBL - Comp/cover for Mings (Inacio at Sporting please)

LB - If we sell Digne I’d like us to go after Maatsen at Burnley (Chelsea) or Truffert at Rennes

Backup GK - have no idea on this one but would be happy with a loan but a better one than Olsen. Who’s that crazy looking keeper from Uruguay or something, played in the World Cup recently, that’d be a fun watch 🤪

I'd be fairly happy with for example: Nico Williams, Guendouzi, Goncalves and a CB who can also play RB (Simakan is a good suggestion or Foyth who Emery coached at Villareal). I think four players to potentially go straight into the first 11 could cost up to £150m so I'm hoping for/expecting a really big push this summer.

I'd love Jonathan David who I think is an upgrade on Watkins and four years younger but think he'd eat up too much of our budget and I think Ollie is good enough for a European push especially with better players behind him. If we move on Digne then Truffert or Maatsen are both decent young options who won't be on big wages, but Digne and Moreno is ok for next season at least. Inacio is excellent but with Carlos and Mings both preferring to play on the left side I'm not sure how feasible it will be unless we move one of them out.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Really?! 0.64 goals per 90 at Lyon. I like Ollie but he's almost half the number in the Prem at 0.37.

The one thing that looks odd with Dembele is he's had two off seasons out of five, so perhaps less consistent? But one of them is this season and he's still at 0.33 goals per 90.

A striker on a free with a chance of being a 1-in-2 scorer scorer. Even doubling his reported wages he'd be half the hit on the P&L that Ings was per season. Seems pretty sensible to me if we can get him.

4 minutes ago, tomsky_11 said:

Really?! 0.64 goals per 90 at Lyon. I like Ollie but he's almost half the number in the Prem at 0.37.

The one thing that looks odd with Dembele is he's had two off seasons out of five, so perhaps less consistent? But one of them is this season and he's still at 0.33 goals per 90.

A striker on a free with a chance of being a 1-in-2 scorer scorer. Even doubling his reported wages he'd be half the hit on the P&L that Ings was per season. Seems pretty sensible to me if we can get him.

Yes his goals per minute are better than Ollie's but I think Ollie is a far better striker. Also it is a bit easy to carried away by stats. First, it is the French league and whilst I would definitely buy players from that league, the teams you play other than PSG are not that great. Dembele is currently not first choice at Lyon who are 10th in the league, he is being kept out of the team by Lacazette who was hardly a roaring success at Arsenal. And as a backup striker his stats have dried up and I don't think he's good enough to displace Ollie so he would only be getting 20-30 minutes for us at best. I'd take David here but that's because he is younger and is first choice at a better team, as well as seems to be on the way up rather than the way down: he has drastically improved this season and is joint top scorer in the league with Mbappe and so we'd be buying him off the back of his best season. Dembele would be coming off the back of one of his poorest seasons. 

Maybe I'm being harsh on Dembele but I'm just not that big a fan and I do watch European football. Given it is a free it's low risk and his goalscoring record is good, but I'm just not sold on him and he clearly thinks he's better than he is if he's asking for huge wages. 

1 hour ago, Leeroy said:

with Carlos and Mings both preferring to play on the left side I'm not sure how feasible it will be unless we move one of them out.

I think with both of them on 100k now I see them as our first choice CBs so would say it will be Mings left and Carlos right with a new CB/RB hybrid alongside them in a back three (in possession). 

Didn’t Carlos only play CBL due to Kounde playing CBR?

Has he previously stated he prefers the left CB position?

I rarely watch French football so not seen much of him since Fulham. And Watkins absolutely brings a lot other than goals, that maybe Dembele doesn’t? But I’m not suggesting it would be a good move as an Watkins replacement. We need more options in the area. If he’s something different and can get goals then the cost of him, even with big wages, would be significantly better than most alternatives.

Looking at Lacazette’s goal return can see why Demebele might be behind him this season. And as for David yes potential, but that comes with a cost way beyond Dembele. And David’s best season scoring this year is worse than Dembele’s best season, which was only last season so I wouldn’t say he’s past it. In fact, take out penalties which account for .25 goals per 90 for David this season and it’s two of Dembele’s seasons that are better than David’s best.

26 minutes ago, burchy said:

I think with both of them on 100k now I see them as our first choice CBs so would say it will be Mings left and Carlos right with a new CB/RB hybrid alongside them in a back three (in possession). 

Didn’t Carlos only play CBL due to Kounde playing CBR?

Has he previously stated he prefers the left CB position?

Seems pretty likely to me we are looking at a Mings Carlos pairing. Don’t see Carlos on the right side as an issue. Has done it before and is right footed.