Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

12 hours ago, TRO said:

We will need a Bank Loan...or Elon Musk on the board.

Unless we have buyers, we will have to fully amortise them and let them go on free's.

getting buyers is the tricky bit.

Having cash is is not the problem. Our owner’s wealth has continued to grow significantly since they bought us. FFP continues to be our restricting factor. The outcome of the Man City investigation may be significant. 

Getting into Europe and other measures, new stand etc, will help increase our income and therefore our ability to use NSWE’s massive wealth. The oil clubs have up to now just been laughing at ffp, that may or may not be coming to an end. 

• Like 1

I just hope we bring in intelligent players. Far too often we've been caught out by silly individual errors. Whether its a player switching off or losing their man. I think with Emery being so meticulous in his game plans, he will want/need those sort of players.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PeterSw said:

I just hope we bring in intelligent players. Far too often we've been caught out by silly individual errors. Whether its a player switching off or losing their man. I think with Emery being so meticulous in his game plans, he will want/need those sort of players.

Multiple times I've seen some brilliantly intricate interplay with a move breaking down at the final pass due to someone not seeing the move or play.

Resulting in a turnover, instead of what looks one good decision away for being a free breakaway.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 4

50 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Multiple times I've seen some brilliantly intricate interplay with a move breaking down at the final pass due to someone not seeing the move or play.

Resulting in a turnover, instead of what looks one good decision away for being a free breakaway.

100% and its been mentioned in the set piece thread about players ball watching and being out of position before/during/after set pieces 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Of course. We’ve always had a squad that would make it into Europe but there’s always something stopping it isn’t there. A pre season, a different manager, an injury or two.

At some point, you’re going to realise we’re not very good. I think the manager knows that now, which is why you’ll see a very busy Summer. This squad isn’t top half quality, let alone European quality. 

You don't get good by overhauling the side every summer, you get a lack of chemistry and a lack of identity. We've had a high turnover rate since we were promoted, which we absolutely needed because we had a championship squad. If we want to progress further, we need to stop turning the squad over and start building.

I think it's insane to say we don't have a top half capable squad. We're sitting 11th, 3 points off the top half, after being so bad in the early part of the season that we had to sack our manager. If we had Emery's points per game across the whole season, we'd be sitting 7th, competing for the European spots.

5 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Of course. We’ve always had a squad that would make it into Europe but there’s always something stopping it isn’t there. A pre season, a different manager, an injury or two.

At some point, you’re going to realise we’re not very good. I think the manager knows that now, which is why you’ll see a very busy Summer. This squad isn’t top half quality, let alone European quality. 

You don't get good by overhauling the side every summer, you get a lack of chemistry and a lack of identity. We've had a high turnover rate since we were promoted, which we absolutely needed because we had a championship squad. If we want to progress further, we need to stop turning the squad over and start building.

I think it's insane to say we don't have a top half capable squad. We're sitting 11th, 3 points off the top half, after being so bad in the early part of the season that we had to sack our manager. If we had Emery's points per game across the whole season, we'd be sitting 7th, competing for the European spots.

1 hour ago, PeterSw said:

100% and its been mentioned in the set piece thread about players ball watching and being out of position before/during/after set pieces 

The players switch off far too easily. Some just lack the footballing brains to progress under Unai. By signing players who do, we will see a team built in Unai’s image - not what’s left from Deano and Gerrard. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

I agree, however I'm not going to say this squad is a th place team under Emery. I think that's ultimately an educated guess, so not worth much at all. What you say about high turnover is spot on though.

We won't get anywhere by binning off good players. We have lots of good players. We need to improve on those players sure, but to do that is very difficult. If we signed 7 or 8 players this summer at least half of those would be players no better than what we have. Not to say they would be bad, as we have a squad of good players. 

We need extra quality on the right, and at right centre back. We also need a top quality midfielder that can pass, and has grit and physicality.

4 players for the first team max! I'd sign as many as 5 players if we include a new number 2 goalie. Obviously if Digne and / or Martinez leave that may have to be 6 players with one a back up left back and a first choice keeper instead of a backup.  For me the back keeper up should be young and talented. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PeterSw said:

significant point.

• Like 1

Apparently we had people watching Sporting’s Europa league game tonight.

Some talent there, the two wingers Edwards and Gonçalves as well as Inacio at left CB.

I’d take any or all of those three

8 minutes ago, burchy said:

Apparently we had people watching Sporting’s Europa league game tonight.

Some talent there, the two wingers Edwards and Gonçalves as well as Inacio at left CB.

I’d take any or all of those three

Marcus Edwards would've been a good pick up for us in summer 2021 and he's stepped it up for Sporting since moving there so I think that would be a good signing. Can play as CF or wide forward and scored a couple for them in the CL.

9 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

8 hours ago, PeterSw said:

Biggest problem with Villa is that on average, our players are mentally weak...  The reason we looked like world beaters during the pandemic is because the crowd wasn't there putting pressure on the squad.  Our players probably look very good in training, but some in particular freeze up on match days, go missing when the crowd is going against them, and/or get caught ball watching instead of concentrating and staying focused throughout the entire match.  This squad always seems to get stuck in a rut and can't break out of it until a new manager comes in, changes things up, fills the players with confidence, then they play well again, until they hit another bad run of form and the cycle repeats itself.  We need leaders on the pitch and strong characters to drive consistency in our play match after match. THAT is what I'm looking forward to this summer and in the future from Emery's transfers.